Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evening)?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evenin

Unread postby thomas15 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:26 pm

393foureyedfox wrote:Ritt BIB and KC120. the ritt mostly just to get rid of it, its not appealing to me much at all, but it does make the KC120 even more enjoyable!

I work in NJ. I don't see Ritt at the PA LCB but in Phillipsburg NJ I see it for $30.00 which I think is high. I can get JB Rye for $17.00, Bulleit $23.00, Old Overholt $19.00 and WT Rye $21.00 ....all cheaper. What is the big attraction to Ritt?
Whiskey for Breakfast (in the key of Glock).
thomas15

Unread postby Haleisbourbon » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:43 am

thomas15 wrote:I finally decided to act on the fact that I have never had a single malt scotch. So I took a break from Bourbon and picked up a 375 ML 12 yr Glenlivet. I don't really know what to say. I asked a few at work for opinions and read a bunch of reviews but in the end it came down to the fact that the PA LCB had only 1 or 2 selections in single malt small bottles with an age statement so Glenlivet it is. So far so good. Drinking neat in a Glencairn. Not offended by the brew but it doesn't have the flavor of much of the contents of my bunker. Practice maybe?

I thought the glenlivet was really blah (i cant taste lots of stuff like most of you) i think thats just the way it is,if you want something really strong/different try laphroig 10.most people say its a love or hate thing though haha,i hated it at first but after a few trys i started liking it.

now i think i'm going to have some laphroig 10 :D
Haleisbourbon

Unread postby GBrough » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:57 am

Haleisbourbon wrote:
thomas15 wrote:I finally decided to act on the fact that I have never had a single malt scotch. So I took a break from Bourbon and picked up a 375 ML 12 yr Glenlivet. I don't really know what to say. I asked a few at work for opinions and read a bunch of reviews but in the end it came down to the fact that the PA LCB had only 1 or 2 selections in single malt small bottles with an age statement so Glenlivet it is. So far so good. Drinking neat in a Glencairn. Not offended by the brew but it doesn't have the flavor of much of the contents of my bunker. Practice maybe?

I thought the glenlivet was really blah (i cant taste lots of stuff like most of you) i think thats just the way it is,if you want something really strong/different try laphroig 10.most people say its a love or hate thing though haha,i hated it at first but after a few trys i started liking it.

Glenlivet is a great starter, now then you should try a base line islay like laphroaig but i would recommend bowmore 12 it has a milder peat flavour than say laphroigh. For a next step highland try glenmorangie 10, aberlour 12, balvenie 12, highland park 12.

A good islay is ardbeg 10 year old, mean and focused you will not find it lacking but compared to glenlivet it is night and day. Tonight i had me some ardbeg 10 in my tulip glass with 1/4 of a teaspoon of water added to my taste and i am even more in love.
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:03 pm

thomas15 wrote:
393foureyedfox wrote:Ritt BIB and KC120. the ritt mostly just to get rid of it, its not appealing to me much at all, but it does make the KC120 even more enjoyable!

I work in NJ. I don't see Ritt at the PA LCB but in Phillipsburg NJ I see it for $30.00 which I think is high. I can get JB Rye for $17.00, Bulleit $23.00, Old Overholt $19.00 and WT Rye $21.00 ....all cheaper. What is the big attraction to Ritt?

i guess its just priced odd for some reason. its $25 here, Overholt is about $12 (about $12 overpriced), JB rye about $15....

i dont see much about it that makes me want to buy another, but it was a must-try on my bourbon education. I have to say though, that id probably not think it was a straight rye had I not seen the label.....it tastes like a rye bourbon. still, just not my thing
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Wasatch » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:43 pm

Having some Wild Turkey 101, very nice, kinda surprised me as well.
Cheers!
Wasatch

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:33 pm

ezra 7/101
393foureyedfox

Unread postby thomas15 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:35 pm

GBrough wrote:
Haleisbourbon wrote:

Glenlivet is a great starter, now then you should try a base line islay like laphroaig but i would recommend bowmore 12 it has a milder peat flavour than say laphroigh. For a next step highland try glenmorangie 10, aberlour 12, balvenie 12, highland park 12.

A good islay is ardbeg 10 year old, mean and focused you will not find it lacking but compared to glenlivet it is night and day. Tonight i had me some ardbeg 10 in my tulip glass with 1/4 of a teaspoon of water added to my taste and i am even more in love.

After 3 evenings of Glenlivet, I tried it (Glenlivet) followed by a nip of Knob Creel small batch. There is a hugh difference. The Knob Creek really hits you upside the head in comparison!

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to check out the offerings at the Bourbon Street in Phillipsburg NJ either tomorrow or Friday and see if I can't get an Islay to try that isn't to expensive.
thomas15

Unread postby GBrough » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:04 am

Try black bottle or islay mist 8 year, it is a blend but the cheapest i know are laprhoaig, bowmore 12,bunnahabhain.
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Unread postby thomas15 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:27 pm

Tonight I'm thinking, thinking,....I guess I'm going to have some,.....Old Forester Signature.
thomas15

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:26 pm

GBrough wrote:Try black bottle or islay mist 8 year, it is a blend but the cheapest i know are laprhoaig, bowmore 12,bunnahabhain.

not to step on toes, but......

i thought this was 'bourbon'enthusiast.com :drink:
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Haleisbourbon » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:57 pm

I jus bought bakers tonight and tried it,i dont enjoy as much as knob creek or bookers but its ok.
Haleisbourbon

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:23 am

Haleisbourbon wrote:I jus bought bakers tonight and tried it,i dont enjoy as much as knob creek or bookers but its ok.

couldnt agree more, bookers and KC 120 are my favorites too
393foureyedfox

Unread postby GBrough » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:21 pm

393foureyedfox wrote:
GBrough wrote:Try black bottle or islay mist 8 year, it is a blend but the cheapest i know are laprhoaig, bowmore 12,bunnahabhain.

If a person has questions about scotch it is better to ask them than to waste 50+ bucks. Still if the person has any questions they can PM me.
GBrough

Unread postby thomas15 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:12 am

GBrough wrote:
393foureyedfox wrote:

If a person has questions about scotch it is better to ask them than to waste 50+ bucks. Still if the person has any questions they can PM me.

Thank you I didn't mean to offend anyone and didn't think I might be breaking the rules
thomas15

Unread postby GBrough » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:10 am

I dont think it was breaking rules, but this is a bourbon forum first. I would rather have someone ask a million questions than waste 50+ plus dollars on a bottle of whisky only to find it was not for them.
GBrough

PreviousNext

Return to Bourbon, Straight