Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evening)?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evenin

Unread postby DrBob » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:45 pm

Had a nice blend of Russell's Reserves: 50% 10 yr and 50% Single Barrel. In my mind it is more than the sum of its parts.
DrBob

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:13 pm

Mike wrote:Having a sip of Ezra B 12 YO Single Barrel. It is quite barrel rich and delicious.

celebrated an anniversary with my wife last week at one of our favorite upscale places. I ordered a flight of bourbons.....my favorite, Bookers, plus two ive wanted to try - Ezra B 12 year, and Noah's Mill.

Tell me what you guys think of my interpretation here: I thought the Noahs and Ezra tasted like different proofs of the same exact whiskey. Then, realizing they are both sourced whiskeys, I figured they likely came from the same distillery originally. And since it is generally assumed Ezra is sourced from HH, maybe KBD got this Noahs from HH too. Any ideas?

I have to say, i didnt really like either. The aftertaste wasnt pleasant. Then I went for the Bookers and realized why I like it so much. Sweet, hot, balanced well without too much woodiness, not tannic, and no lingering aftertaste that makes me want to reach for the glass of water....just drink it and enjoy.

Im interested to see what you guys think on the noahs/ezra idea. I could be way off, but its what I came to last night.
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Mike » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:25 pm

393foureyedfox wrote:
Mike wrote:Having a sip of Ezra B 12 YO Single Barrel. It is quite barrel rich and delicious.

celebrated an anniversary with my wife last week at one of our favorite upscale places. I ordered a flight of bourbons.....my favorite, Bookers, plus two ive wanted to try - Ezra B 12 year, and Noah's Mill.

Tell me what you guys think of my interpretation here: I thought the Noahs and Ezra tasted like different proofs of the same exact whiskey. Then, realizing they are both sourced whiskeys, I figured they likely came from the same distillery originally. And since it is generally assumed Ezra is sourced from HH, maybe KBD got this Noahs from HH too. Any ideas?

I have to say, i didnt really like either. The aftertaste wasnt pleasant. Then I went for the Bookers and realized why I like it so much. Sweet, hot, balanced well without too much woodiness, not tannic, and no lingering aftertaste that makes me want to reach for the glass of water....just drink it and enjoy.

Im interested to see what you guys think on the noahs/ezra idea. I could be way off, but its what I came to last night.

My guess is that your guess is a good one. Ezra B is certainly from HH. I do not know about Noah's Mill, but it certainly could be from HH (and probably is). As to you not caring for them, you know your palate........ it is yours and that is all that matters. I too, like Booker's, it is a great bourbon. I like pretty much all bourbons (even cheap ones), but since I first tasted Noah's Mill quite a few years ago, I always have it on hand. Glad you decided to try it, even though you know now that it is not for you. It is quite dry from the tannins, something I find appealing, but I think it is fair to say that most bourbon drinkers, such as yourself, at not so inclined.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:57 pm

I had a wee mite of Rock Hill Farms left and a wee mite of 100 proof Jack Daniels Holiday Edition for 2011 left, so I combined them. Yep, it was damn good whiskey. JD, in my opinion, needs to be better than 90 proof (the Single Barrel, one of America's best whiskies by my lights) is 94 proof and it is hard to find a 100 proof JD (seems to be usually for export?). So, this one was a find.

This JD 100 proof and the Rock Hill Farms (also 100 proof) take the best from both whiskies......... the JD, even at 100 proof has a soft sweetness and delicacy that complements the RHF Buffalo Trace high rye recipe to a fare thee well. As I recall, both are in the under $50 range many people set for their high limit. Both are (in my estimation) better than most $20 whiskies.

Even so, there are often some days when the $20 Evan Williams Single Barrel at 86 proof is exactly what my palate demands.

A whiskey for each mood, and I am a man of many moods, and for each mood there is a different demand from my palate.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby thomas15 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:48 am

By means of rotation, tonight it's going to be Jim Beam Rye. I'm at the mid-way point of the bottle, which is my first Rye. I think I might have mentined this before but when I first opened the bottle I thought "how awful." Through practice and patience thought I have come to really like this mixture and next time I see it on sale will pick up another or three.
Whiskey for Breakfast (in the key of Glock).
thomas15

Unread postby PollardsVision » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:04 am

Mike wrote:I had a wee mite of Rock Hill Farms left and a wee mite of 100 proof Jack Daniels Holiday Edition for 2011 left, so I combined them. Yep, it was damn good whiskey. JD, in my opinion, needs to be better than 90 proof (the Single Barrel, one of America's best whiskies by my lights) is 94 proof and it is hard to find a 100 proof JD (seems to be usually for export?). So, this one was a find.

This JD 100 proof and the Rock Hill Farms (also 100 proof) take the best from both whiskies......... the JD, even at 100 proof has a soft sweetness and delicacy that complements the RHF Buffalo Trace high rye recipe to a fare thee well. As I recall, both are in the under $50 range many people set for their high limit. Both are (in my estimation) better than most $20 whiskies.

Even so, there are often some days when the $20 Evan Williams Single Barrel at 86 proof is exactly what my palate demands.

A whiskey for each mood, and I am a man of many moods, and for each mood there is a different demand from my palate.

That's funny. Just last night, it occurred to me that I need to go back and give higher proof JD a chance.

JD7 is probably my least favorite whiskey, largely due to an intense banana flavor I pick up and can't get past.

As I was sipping some trusty EW White, for some reason a very similar banana flavor hit me for the first time with it (not sure why, it's probably my 7th or 8th bottle of it). But with an honest proof, it was tasty and refreshing, instead of cloying.

Of course, I'm not sure when I'd get around to trying any JD with an honest proof. Best I can tell, I'd have to drop $49+ to get a JD whiskey above 80 proof.
PollardsVision

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:05 pm

ive never tried JD, just because of the proof point. If it were on the shelf as a BIB or a 100 proofer, I think id probably pick one up.

i rarely ever by anything below 100 proof, and flat out will not pick up anything below 90 proof. it'd have to be free to get me to take home an 80 proofer, i dont care who makes it. even then, it would sit here until my 80 proof loving friends came over. at least they keep their paws off my good 120+ proof stuff
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Haleisbourbon » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:11 pm

I'm about to drink some elmer t lee,it's been a while since i had it and i dont remember if i liked it or not.
Haleisbourbon

Unread postby TheRev1973 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:53 pm

Hey everybody! I'm brand new to the site and fairly new to appreciating the finer points of a good bourbon. My whole life I had sucked down JB white label without realizng how much better than that it could get. Tonight, it's Elijah Craig 12 on the rocks. My birthday is Sunday, and my wife is buying me a bottle of Woodford. Excited!
TheRev1973

Unread postby GBrough » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:11 am

Having some glenfiddich 15 for 45 bucks or so a bottle anyone would like this. I decided after looking at my lack of income and 40-60 bucks a week i will be buying islay whisky and bourbons because i know i like them. Still i got 2 bottles of 20 year old speyside, and some other highlands to go through before islay takes over my whisky cabinet still i will be enjoying some highlands 1 out of the 3 bottle i will buy will be highland or something non-islay.
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Unread postby gauze » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:22 am

I dunno what's wrong with me I just haven't been drinking bourbon neat recently. had a few manhattans and highballs in recent history though. Someone help me!
gauze

Unread postby GBrough » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:43 pm

gauze wrote:I dunno what's wrong with me I just haven't been drinking bourbon neat recently. had a few manhattans and highballs in recent history though. Someone help me!

I can do my best, maybe you want something mellow
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Unread postby mwmac » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:05 pm

Think I will revisit the Talisker 30 Yr from 2006. I lucked into a bottle in early 08 and have been enjoying slowly. To this point,it stands as the finest cask strength single malt I have sampled...
mwmac

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:50 pm

Ritt BIB and KC120. the ritt mostly just to get rid of it, its not appealing to me much at all, but it does make the KC120 even more enjoyable!
393foureyedfox

Unread postby thomas15 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:20 pm

I finally decided to act on the fact that I have never had a single malt scotch. So I took a break from Bourbon and picked up a 375 ML 12 yr Glenlivet. I don't really know what to say. I asked a few at work for opinions and read a bunch of reviews but in the end it came down to the fact that the PA LCB had only 1 or 2 selections in single malt small bottles with an age statement so Glenlivet it is. So far so good. Drinking neat in a Glencairn. Not offended by the brew but it doesn't have the flavor of much of the contents of my bunker. Practice maybe?
Whiskey for Breakfast (in the key of Glock).
thomas15

PreviousNext

Return to Bourbon, Straight