Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evening)?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evenin

Unread postby GBrough » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:56 pm

I really want some gold label 18, but i left it at a buddies place and came back 2 weeks later to find less than a quarter of the bottle is left, so it is safe to say i will not be going back they drank me out of my best blend and my other bottle with compensation.
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Unread postby Birdo » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:57 am

GBrough wrote:I found buffalo trace to be underwhelming, everything i heard about it had me prepared to have something amazing. I have a decanter of jim beams choice from 30 years ago and i must say it taste a lot like knob creek just a lower proof. On topic for tonight, i was invited to an event at a local bar called gut buster which involves beer and it aint my scene so a dram of green label tonight.

Buffalo didn't do it for me either, and north of $20 bucks a 750ml, I thought it was over priced.

Had Fighting Cock last night and it was the right stuff at the right price. I only have bourbon that I know I like in the house now, all the test bottles are gone. Turns out I lost my passion for the Larceny, although it's good, it's not off the charts wonderful, I don't plan to replace it anytime soon.
Birdo

Unread postby GBrough » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:32 am

Now Wild Turkey is my go to bourbon, on ice, neat or in a cocktail. The only bourbon that did not do it for me was angels envy, the low proof made it forgettable. If i had to pick on bourbon to have on an island it would be kentucky spirit and one scotch it would be glenlivit nadura.
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Unread postby devilscut » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

My island bourbons would be Four Roses single barrel, Buffalo Trace and Kentucky Spirit.
devilscut

Unread postby GBrough » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:31 pm

devilscut wrote:My island bourbons would be Four Roses single barrel, Buffalo Trace and Kentucky Spirit.

That sounds like heaven, still have not had the chance to have the four roses single barrel, each time i go to bevmo they are sold out.
GBrough

Unread postby devilscut » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:59 pm

You might try a local liquor store. Four Roses single barrel is spicey, fruity, no alcohol burn and a great finish, 100 proof, 8-10 years old. Slo far, four of us guys have bought 3 barrels of it.
devilscut

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:01 pm

i think im the only one alive who doesnt care for 4RSiB........
393foureyedfox

Unread postby JLH3 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:26 am

393foureyedfox wrote:i think im the only one alive who doesnt care for 4RSiB........

I'm with you. I like the Small Batch much better.
Between the wish and the thing the world lies waiting.
- Cormac McCarthy, All the Pretty Horses

"Your hair was darker then."
- Grant
"My heart was lighter then."
- Rico
The Professionals
JLH3

Unread postby GBrough » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:21 am

393foureyedfox wrote:i think im the only one alive who doesnt care for 4RSiB........

I have to try it, the small batch i had lacked balanced and to me it is not worth the extra 10 bucks or so when compared with WT101. But the single barrel might be a redeeming factor for the brand. The spice from the Small Batch overpowered the other flavours so much that i gave it away WT101 does that at times, but it is balanced out by vanilla and caramel.

Had some ardbeg 10 tonight, really need to try the corrvreycen.
GBrough

Unread postby Squire » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:01 pm

I prefer the Small Batch.
Squire

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:53 pm

i havent had the small batch, honestly. after trying the single barrel and thinking it rather bland and unexciting, ive not had any desire to try the small batch. i gave the single barrel away last week. i know 'experienced' bourboners love 4R stuff, but i tend to like less 'smooth' bourbons, to which the single barrel was definately too 'smooth' for me.

i did once have some barrel proof 4R in a bar though, and thought it quite nice. so i am trying to keep an open mind to the brand, but the marketing of 10 different recipes, plus limted editions, mariages, anniversary editions....etc, not to mention prices for any of those, and i just walk past them and get more realistic stuff.
393foureyedfox

Unread postby gillmang » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:35 pm

Meeting a friend later this evening who requested a dram of bourbon. It's at my place. My bourbon selection currently is fairly small. I have some Pogue Master's Select which could be Beam-origin, it has a similar yeasty/orangey edge - but who knows. This particular bottling seems to have a certain earthy taste in the background, "animal'' perhaps to use a term of wine-speak. Quite nice withal and fairly priced (by today's standards). I'll go with that and probably Masterson's Straight Rye to contrast.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Wasatch » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:31 pm

Having some Wild Turkey 81.
Cheers!
Wasatch

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:46 pm

Wasatch wrote:Having some Wild Turkey 81.

did you lose a bet?
393foureyedfox

Unread postby GBrough » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:14 am

Had me a splash of some Glenrothes 1998 bottling, simple but good and after this day needed.
GBrough

PreviousNext

Return to Bourbon, Straight