Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evening)?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evenin

Unread postby JonRob » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:24 pm

I've been enjoying Rittenhouse Rye in manhattans lately. Probably make one of those and maybe a splash or two of Black Maple Hill to follow that up.
JonRob

Unread postby Wasatch » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:36 pm

Jim Beam Black
Cheers!
Wasatch

Unread postby Wasatch » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:35 pm

Old Grand Dad, but the one made by Old Grand Dad Distillery.
Cheers!
Wasatch

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:18 pm

Wasatch wrote:Old Grand Dad, but the one made by Old Grand Dad Distillery.

As opposed to which other distillery?
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Wasatch » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:30 pm

Bourbon Joe wrote:
Wasatch wrote:Old Grand Dad, but the one made by Old Grand Dad Distillery.

As opposed to which other distillery?
Joe

Jim Beam
Cheers!
Wasatch

Unread postby GBrough » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:40 am

Some more Ardbeg 10, i cannot wait to try the other offerings from this distillery or the lapthroaig quarter cask.
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Unread postby RandyG » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:32 am

OK, last Friday night was definately an epic night. Neighbor comes over around 8:00pm. The stereo is warmed up and I'm ready for some beer, bourbon and billiards. The Rare Breed is sitting on the shelf with maybe two or three nice drams in it. I stick with this until the bottle is gone (with a little help from my neighbor). After that I poured a little Blanton's. Really great bourbon if you ask me. Finally I believe I finished off the evening with a 50/50 vatting of Van Winkle 12YO and Jefferson's 18 YO. Exceptional!

Now before you all start thinking this guy is some kind of a soak, I assure you I am not. The various spirits and brew were responsibly consumed over the next nine or ten hours. That's right, almost ten hours of good company, good brew, and exceptional bourbon. All while playing a game I love. It's funny how time flies when you are having fun, and this evening was something.

I had a great time but I think this 50 YO body is still recuperating a little.

Cheers,
RG
RandyG

Unread postby vince » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:54 pm

RandyG wrote:
JLH3 wrote:Finishing (not a lot left) a bottle of Rare Breed tonight. Such a great pour. While I would love to drink PVW 20 for the rest of my life, if I were limited to 5 bourbons to take to the island, WTRB would have to be one of them. Just the right flavor, just the right heat, just the right spice. Not my all-time, but it's right up there.

Absolutely, positively agree with you on the Rare Breed. I will likely be finishing off mine tonight as well. As far as Pappy goes, I like the 15 a little better but both are outstanding. My neighbor has both and the 15 just knocks me out (I actually have two 15's in my bunker but am waiting until this years allocation before deciding whether I open one). If your top pour is a Pappy 20, try and get your hands on a Jefferson's 18YO. Every bit as good if you ask me.

vince wrote:I had a pour of the new Four Roses Limited Release small batch. A stunning whiskey! It opens with some dried fruit and spice in front and then at mid palate you get this beautiful wave of carmel, toffee and vanilla. The finish is long and complex with the spice re-appearing and mingling with the vanilla and caramel. Just beautiful! Mr. Rutledge you have done it again!!!

Was this the 2013 Ltd. Small Batch Vince? I've got a few of the 2012's and they are extraordinary!

Cheers All,
Mr. G

Mr. G, yes this is the 2013. I thought the 2012 was fantastic as well but I think this one may actually be a notch above. They are both spectacular though!
vince

Unread postby devilscut » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:58 am

Vince, you are sooo right. I went to the distillery for the introduction of the 2013. jim Rutledge told me that it's the best bourbon he ever tasted. Coming from him, that's saying something.
devilscut

Unread postby JLH3 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:44 am

Been working on my first bottle of Rowan's Creek. It's good, maybe very good, but not worth the money. For that price I'll buy Rare Breed or spend a little more for Baker's.
Between the wish and the thing the world lies waiting.
- Cormac McCarthy, All the Pretty Horses

"Your hair was darker then."
- Grant
"My heart was lighter then."
- Rico
The Professionals
JLH3

Unread postby GBrough » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:05 pm

Having some Green Label later on, i cant decided which scotch to get next i loved the ardbeg but i dont know if i want to move into islay's without trying the other speysides. Or noahs mill 15 year old decisions.
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Unread postby JLH3 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:20 am

GBrough wrote:Having some Green Label later on, i cant decided which scotch to get next i loved the ardbeg but i dont know if i want to move into islay's without trying the other speysides. Or noahs mill 15 year old decisions.

Let me recommend Clynelish 14yr. I'm not a scotch drinker, but my BIL is. I got him a bottle for his birthday and he was very, very impressed with it.
Between the wish and the thing the world lies waiting.
- Cormac McCarthy, All the Pretty Horses

"Your hair was darker then."
- Grant
"My heart was lighter then."
- Rico
The Professionals
JLH3

Unread postby GBrough » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:09 am

I think that will fit the bill, tonight some ardbeg.
GBrough

Unread postby thomas15 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:23 pm

Finishing off a bottle of Buffalo Trace tonight. I have a bottle of KC open, also Beam Rye and Bernheim Wheat so it will be a couple four weeks before I have to decide on which to tackle next.
Whiskey for Breakfast (in the key of Glock).
thomas15

Unread postby GBrough » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:28 am

I found buffalo trace to be underwhelming, everything i heard about it had me prepared to have something amazing. I have a decanter of jim beams choice from 30 years ago and i must say it taste a lot like knob creek just a lower proof. On topic for tonight, i was invited to an event at a local bar called gut buster which involves beer and it aint my scene so a dram of green label tonight.
GBrough

PreviousNext

Return to Bourbon, Straight