Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evening)?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evenin

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:27 pm

GBrough wrote:Got a bottle of Knob Creek Small Batch, it is so good neat. Now I want to try the single barrel and I want to try bookers even more than before.

thats EXACTLY the road i took!

at a blind tasting of about 7 bourbons/whiskeys, i picked regular knob creek as one of my favorites of the group. so, since i like high proofs, it was obvious i would then try KC single barrel (love it!). then, at a bar one night before hitting the karaoke bar across the street, i saw Bookers on the shelf and ordered it too, as its also an upper Beamer and a yet higher proof. loved that even more!

but, those are getting too high up there in cost for me. i have a shitload of KC120 just because i found a local store clearing it out to discontinue it and bought all 13 at $18 a bottle. otherwise, at $36+, it would not be a regular shelf drink around here. and bookers, as much as i loved it, at $46+, will only be a special occasion or received as a gift.

if youre tastes are like mine, and it sounds they are, try OGD 114. for the price, you cant beat it. even at double the price, it would still be a close pick between the 3 to me.

i seem to have a lot of trouble finding stuff i like lately, as it seems i only like stuff well over the 100 proof mark, and there are few cheap offerings at the price range i choose to play in.

if i am remembering correctly, arent you the other med student on here?
393foureyedfox

Unread postby GBrough » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:14 pm

In my area bookers is like 60 bucks you lucky duck. I like bourbon 90+ proof, I prefer 94 and up if I had to choose. Scotch is another story I plan on getting an islay malt soon.

Yes I am, medical assisting then i plan to go back to college and work towards cytology.
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:26 pm

youre in AZ, right? is OGD 114 even available out there?
393foureyedfox

Unread postby GBrough » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:22 pm

393foureyedfox wrote:youre in AZ, right? is OGD 114 even available out there?

Nah man California, OGD 114 is available here, i just enjoy WT101 a lot.
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Unread postby JLH3 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:43 pm

GBrough wrote:Got a bottle of Knob Creek Small Batch, it is so good neat. Now I want to try the single barrel and I want to try bookers even more than before.

As much as I like Baker's (and OGD 114) I guess I'm going to have to break down and try KCSB.
Between the wish and the thing the world lies waiting.
- Cormac McCarthy, All the Pretty Horses

"Your hair was darker then."
- Grant
"My heart was lighter then."
- Rico
The Professionals
JLH3

Unread postby GBrough » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:55 pm

JLH3 wrote:

As much as I like Baker's (and OGD 114) I guess I'm going to have to break down and try KCSB.

How good is Baker's i have not had the pleasure of drinking it yet, mostly because no bars in my area carry it and because I have to be careful with how much i spend a week.

Some Knob Creek tonight, nice and smooth exactly what the doctor ordered.
GBrough

Unread postby JLH3 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:26 am

GBrough wrote:
JLH3 wrote:

How good is Baker's i have not had the pleasure of drinking it yet, mostly because no bars in my area carry it and because I have to be careful with how much i spend a week.

Some Knob Creek tonight, nice and smooth exactly what the doctor ordered.

If you go back a page in this thread I posted a review I did of it. I really like it. If it were 10 or even 5 bucks cheaper I'd buy it all the time. But it just isn't worth it to me to spend that much more than what I'd spend for Rare Breed.

- Grant
- Rico
The Professionals
JLH3

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:44 am

ezra 7/101. it hits a bit harder than youd expect for a 101 proof though, for some reason

not bad, but not sure id buy it again, considering i love me some OGD 114 and its only 2-3 bucks more to get that. but, i enjoy reading about all the different bourbons and trying a new one out every month. anything over 100 proof and under $20 will be tried!
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Squire » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:04 am

100+ proof under $20.00 is Heaven Hill territory.
Squire

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:12 pm

and they do a good job of it at that
393foureyedfox

Unread postby GBrough » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:31 pm

Had me a glass of oban 14 tonight, my plan is to either go for a trip to the coast or get me a bottle of jim beam small batch collection.
GBrough

Unread postby JLH3 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:19 am

Trying the WL Weller SR Single Barrel I picked up. This is very good. Nose is vanilla and butterscotch. Taste is buttered popcorn and some spices. Maybe a little vanilla. Finish is good with more heat at the end than I'd expect for a 90 proofer. It's not a heavy bourbon, but very easy to drink. At $18 I may have to grab one or two more.

- Grant
- Rico
The Professionals
JLH3

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:02 pm

Drinking a 9 y/o OWA purchased at Cork and Bottle as a private barrel. Wonderful stuff.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby GBrough » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:45 pm

im thinking either Knob Creek, Rowan's Creek or Kirkland Speyside 20 year Singlemalt scotch
GBrough

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:55 pm

GBrough wrote:im thinking either Knob Creek, Rowan's Creek or Kirkland Speyside 20 year Singlemalt scotch

given the choice, id take the Rowans just cause ive not tried it yet, i have KC, and ive yet to have a scotch i liked.
393foureyedfox

PreviousNext

Return to Bourbon, Straight