Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evening)?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evenin

Unread postby JLH3 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:34 am

4RSmB. Haven't had it in awhile. You forget what a great bourbon it is. Almost perfect balance. Just enough citrus. Just enough spice. Could use some more heat...maybe.
Between the wish and the thing the world lies waiting.
- Cormac McCarthy, All the Pretty Horses

"Your hair was darker then."
- Grant
"My heart was lighter then."
- Rico
The Professionals
JLH3

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:40 am

OGD 114 and KC 120

im becoming as predictable as squire......
393foureyedfox

Unread postby GBrough » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:40 pm

JLH3 wrote:4RSmB. Haven't had it in awhile. You forget what a great bourbon it is. Almost perfect balance. Just enough citrus. Just enough spice. Could use some more heat...maybe.

Have not had the small batch in a while, going to get another bottle of it since all of my bourbons are on less than half. Need more WT101, some elijah craig, four roses small batch and kentucky spirit.

Back on subject some kentucky spirit neat.
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Unread postby JLH3 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:22 pm

Stopped by the store tonight and picked a replacement bottle of Rare Breed and one of Baker's. Drinking the Baker's now. I know that some don't like the Beam stuff (except for OGD 114 occasionaly Booker's), but I am a Baker's fan. Great flavor and more balance than Bookers, which I find too syrupy.

And, if anyone cares, my notes:

Color: Medium to light copper

Nose: Vanilla ice cream. Meringue. Turning into cinnamon and spices.

Taste: Creamy & thick. Caramel. Lots of spice and some, but not too much, heat. Cinnamon and banana. Lemon pie maybe?

Finish: Long lasting finish that carries the flavors from the front. More spice. Tingles the lips and tongue.

Overall: Very good bourbon. Bourbon's bourbon in fact. Maybe a little too steep in price, but certainly one worth owning and drinking.
Between the wish and the thing the world lies waiting.
- Cormac McCarthy, All the Pretty Horses

"Your hair was darker then."
- Grant
"My heart was lighter then."
- Rico
The Professionals
JLH3

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:43 am

larceny.

im clearing out open bottles before i buy anything else. have a nearly full 4R1B and a nearly full larceny to dispose of. neither will be replaced once theyre gone. at least the larceny i dont feel bad about buying, as it was about $11 after the rebate. the $30 spent on the 4R really left a bad taste in my mouth (pun intended).
393foureyedfox

Unread postby GBrough » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:34 am

393foureyedfox wrote:larceny.

im clearing out open bottles before i buy anything else. have a nearly full 4R1B and a nearly full larceny to dispose of. neither will be replaced once theyre gone. at least the larceny i dont feel bad about buying, as it was about $11 after the rebate. the $30 spent on the 4R really left a bad taste in my mouth (pun intended).

I am sorry about the four roses, my small batch had something lacking but i wish i bought another bottle because it used to cost 26.99 here not it cost 35.99. I had me some EC12 on the rocks.
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:49 am

i bought the 4R1B for two reasons.

one, i appreciate the story of the distillery, the master distiller, and what theyre trying to do

two, while in Cincy once, i tried a 4R barrel proof and thought it really full and interesting. i dont remember which one it was, but it was 58% abv if i remember correctly. it definately was more than the standard 55% ones on the shelves around here. the one i bought seemed to share no similarities to the one in Cincy. it may be a long time before i try another one.

i only have two things here that i really can say i enjoy......the OGD 114 and the KC 120. with allt he other bottles ive bought and not been overly enthused about, i dont know what to try next. i think i prefer the OGD 114 the most, and at $21 a bottle, i think id be hard pressed to find anything in that price range that i may enjoy as much.
393foureyedfox

Unread postby GBrough » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:51 pm

highland park 12 year, my father comes home from a long trip so a drink with him sounds nice.
GBrough

Unread postby stresssolutions » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:34 pm

Tonight I'm sipping on Old Forester single barrel, looks to be about 10 years old. I'm liking it, but it's not the best....the finish is lacking in my opinion. The price is nice, $22 or so...

edit, it might be Evan Williams single barrel. can't see the bottle from here. 8-)
Living life one day at a time...
Mick
stresssolutions

Unread postby GBrough » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:26 pm

Had me some Macallan 12 year at Bj's bar and grill while it was good it didnt compare to my oban or macallan directors edition.
GBrough

Unread postby Duewester » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:28 pm

Willett Family reserve. Six yo I've had for about 5 years. Finally knocking it off after using some to marinate some beef for a stew. Hey I know why use great bourbon to marinate beef? Why not?

Thanks bourbonv for the bottle and I'm sorry it took this long to finish it but, it just cried out to be saved for special occasions (until the last two shots).
Duewester

Unread postby Squire » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:37 pm

I had some Old Grand Dad BIB, which for me is acceptable anytime.
Squire

Unread postby stresssolutions » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:36 pm

I poured some Old Granddad 114, forgetting that the pizza I had for supper burned off the roof of my mouth. it's burning again. :bounce:
Living life one day at a time...
Mick
stresssolutions

Unread postby GBrough » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:09 pm

Got a bottle of Knob Creek Small Batch, it is so good neat. Now I want to try the single barrel and I want to try bookers even more than before.
GBrough

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:26 pm

I had a pour of Larceny tonight. Now let me tell ya, this is no high priced super bourbon but it is a solid wheater. Needs a little time to open up. I get a decent amount of vanilla and caramel on the nose. The taste is that of a pedestrian wheater. By that I mean it's no OWA but it is decent in my opinion. I will try to have one open at all times.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

PreviousNext

Return to Bourbon, Straight