Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evening)?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evenin

Unread postby Squire » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:55 pm

Perfectly happy with some Old Grand Dad tonight.
Squire

Unread postby GBrough » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:11 pm

At a baseball game, in the season ticket holder box considring getting a scotch, I would enjoy a bourbon but as you have seen I hate makers mark.
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Unread postby Watson Roadster » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:18 pm

Sippin' Old Forester Birthday Bourbon 2012...
Watson Roadster

Unread postby Watson Roadster » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:21 pm

GBrough wrote:
393foureyedfox wrote:
GBrough wrote: Seagrams 7 Whiskey

if thats remotely similar to the quality i found in seagrams dark honey whiskey.....id just dump it out. that shit was beyond foul

It is only good in ginger ale seagrams 7 whisk(e)y is only good with something else otherwise i consider it to be lackluster in the flavour department. Tonight is a flask of johnnie walker green label, excellent stuff i must say it taste like a single malt and it is not.

Save that Green Label...Not around any more...
Watson Roadster

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:23 am

polished off the last of the bottle of VOB BIB. while i liked it at first, by half bottle, i just wanted to get it out of here so i could try something else. but oh well, the journey of finding what i really like continues. I know i really like KC 120, but im trying nearly everything under $25 to see if theres anything there that can fit the bill of enjoyable daily pours. so far, OGD 114 has been the closest, but even then, i dont want that every day. lots to learn in the bourbon world, and being a history lover, makes it even more fun to know that aspect!
393foureyedfox

Unread postby GBrough » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:38 am

my friend got it for 50 bucks at what i think was costco
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Unread postby GBrough » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:46 pm

Going to Scottish clan games tonight in Monterrey, California. In turn that means i am going to drink some scotch and who knows what else.
GBrough

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:10 pm

having some friends over for a BBQ rib fest. only one of them drinks bourbon.

im gonna put out the KC 120, EW BIB, OGD 114, and the 4RSB (i didnt care for it, but he may). we'll probably have some on the porch and make comparisons
393foureyedfox

Unread postby EllenJ » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:43 pm

393foureyedfox wrote:having some friends over for a BBQ rib fest. only one of them drinks bourbon. im gonna put out the KC 120, EW BIB, OGD 114, and the 4RSB (i didnt care for it, but he may). we'll probably have some on the porch and make comparisons

Nice selection. If you have any, add some Beam white-label, just for kicks, and let us know what everyone's reaction was. Your bourbon-drinking friend will likely enjoy any of the ones you mentioned, but I'd love to know if any of the non-bourbon-drinkers liked the Beam... or even better, one of the others!
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Unread postby ebo » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:13 pm

A pour of Old Ezra 101 is hitting the spot nicely tonight.
ebo

Unread postby gillmang » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:29 pm

Mingling of Old Scout 7 year old rye, Old Scout 10 year old bourbon, Triple A, and EC 12. 's good.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:34 pm

ebo wrote:A pour of Old Ezra 101 is hitting the spot nicely tonight.

i would love to hear a review from you on that one.....im seriously considering it for my next purchase
393foureyedfox

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:39 pm

EllenJ wrote:
393foureyedfox wrote:having some friends over for a BBQ rib fest. only one of them drinks bourbon. im gonna put out the KC 120, EW BIB, OGD 114, and the 4RSB (i didnt care for it, but he may). we'll probably have some on the porch and make comparisons

Nice selection. If you have any, add some Beam white-label, just for kicks, and let us know what everyone's reaction was. Your bourbon-drinking friend will likely enjoy any of the ones you mentioned, but I'd love to know if any of the non-bourbon-drinkers liked the Beam... or even better, one of the others!

while i like upper level beam stuff, i wont buy anything with the beam name on it (black, white, etc)....same reason as always, not enough proof.

there were 5 of us. he went straight for the KC 120 with a fat pour. i turned him onto that and now he's all over it. one is not a drinker, and with my spicy bbq, i dont want bourbon either, so we both had home made lemonade. the others are wine drinkers. i dont enjoy bourbon with a meal, i only want it when unwinding, watching storms on the porch, parties, etc. if you had bourbon with my hot bbq sauce (i grow habaneros/jalapenos/ghost peppers, dry them, grind to a powder, and add to my BBQ sauce, chile, fried chicken batter, etc), you'd be drinking so fast you'd get tanked before you got halfway through the meal. he was turning red, but never slowed down!
393foureyedfox

Unread postby JPBoston » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:50 am

Squire wrote:Perfectly happy with some Old Grand Dad tonight.

As would I, if I hadn't just emptied my bottle a few days ago. Damn good stuff, and I'm glad you post enough to remind me of it --- Sometimes we (or should I say 'I' ?) get lost in the adventure of trying new brands and variations, and forget to come back to the real quality pours that deserve our attention.

On that note --- I had three pours of EWB tonight. Every time I come back to it, I wonder why I waited so long to do so. :)

while i like upper level beam stuff, i wont buy anything with the beam name on it (black, white, etc)....same reason as always, not enough proof.

I agree, but for different reasons. Maybe I was too early into my bourbon-loving days when I tried the lower shelf versions, but I can tell almost no family resemblance between JBW, JBB, and say, KC 100/120. In fact, I've said this a few times (and hate to sound like a broken record)... but I'd swear KC 100 tastes like the big brother of EWB. All I get from JBB is bitter wood... and JBW tasted like a drier, cheaper, more boring version of EWB the one time I tried it, two years ago. It's odd, you'd think the variations sporting the Beam name would be of higher quality, while the 'knock offs' would be the ones with no obvious lineage on the bottle.
JPBoston

Unread postby GBrough » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:53 pm

Had me an airline bottle of rare breed, this stuff is mean. I was blown away i had the traditional WT101 flavours with a waxy pepper dipped in chocolate then some sweetness a beast to be sure and now my replacement for KS.
GBrough

PreviousNext

Return to Bourbon, Straight