Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evening)?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evenin

Unread postby Squire » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:32 pm

Followed by some more Old Grand Dad.
Squire

Unread postby Mike » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:47 pm

393foureyedfox wrote:
Squire wrote:Having some Old Grand Dad BIB.

maybe you could just post us when you drink something other than OGD, since thats a given :wink:

And, then again, maybe Squire knows something about bourbon. Like, OGD BIB is ground zero of bourbondom.......... something I have said for years. You go out from OGD BIB, not necessarily up.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby JPBoston » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:10 am

Squire wrote:Followed by some more Old Grand Dad.

You and me both.

Wifey brought me home a bottle of Early Times, as the grocery store she was at had no EWB, and I just wanted a cheap pour to keep me from polishing off my better bottles before I head out of state for vacation.

The ET starts off as not-so-bad, a little sweet, a lot bland... but it's not 'bad' until the finish. Pure alcohol... kinda what I imagine when I hear people joke about 'brown vodka'. But what the hell, I was curious as to what it was all about, and now I know. The only other 80 proofer I've had is Benchmark, and it was MUCH more interesting and just plain better.

I will close the night out with a healthy pour of OGD BIB however, to end on a much higher note.
JPBoston

Unread postby Birdo » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:27 am

JPBoston wrote:

You and me both.

Wifey brought me home a bottle of Early Times, as the grocery store she was at had no EWB, and I just wanted a cheap pour to keep me from polishing off my better bottles before I head out of state for vacation.

The ET starts off as not-so-bad, a little sweet, a lot bland... but it's not 'bad' until the finish. Pure alcohol... kinda what I imagine when I hear people joke about 'brown vodka'. But what the hell, I was curious as to what it was all about, and now I know. The only other 80 proofer I've had is Benchmark, and it was MUCH more interesting and just plain better.

I will close the night out with a healthy pour of OGD BIB however, to end on a much higher note.

Cheers! I'll drink to that. I have a bottle of cheap Heaven Hill BIB, and its too dry to drink with out a bit of simple syrup, then it's good enough. Sometimes booze is booze and the cheap stuff is just what the doctor ordered. I prefer the 86 proof in the OGD line.
Birdo

Unread postby GBrough » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:03 am

JPBoston wrote:

You and me both.

Cheapest i will go is Wild Turkey 101, i dont trust 15 dollar bourbons.
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:36 am

Mike wrote:
393foureyedfox wrote:
Squire wrote:Having some Old Grand Dad BIB.

maybe you could just post us when you drink something other than OGD, since thats a given :wink:

And, then again, maybe Squire knows something about bourbon. Like, OGD BIB is ground zero of bourbondom.......... something I have said for years. You go out from OGD BIB, not necessarily up.

by no means was i trying to say anything negative about OGD or Squire.....just making a joke about how much he loves that stuff. Ive yet to try it, as anytime i consider it, i tend to grab the 114 instead.
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Squire » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:20 am

Ground zero of Bourbons . . . thanks Mike, I like that.
Squire

Unread postby Birdo » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:32 am

[[/quote]

Cheapest i will go is Wild Turkey 101, i dont trust 15 dollar bourbons.[/quote]

You should try some cheaper stuff. Treating this a chemical process product, all bourbon is at least pretty good. I suggest buying bourbon as a commodity based on proof and age. Most higher proof 6 y/o bourbons are pretty good.

Cheap bourbons are not that cheap. In your example a $15 bottle equals $75/gallon and around $4000 per barrell, so there is a ton of money in cheaper bourbon. Distillers have found out that a fancy bottle and some marketing allows them to double, or triple the price of their bourbon. To be fair, the bourbon in the more expensive bottles is usually better, but how much so? I have had a couple of $30 bottles that weren't that great.

I can also say that when I was in college, 30 years ago, Wild Turkey was top shelf stuff, and it still is a very nice bourbon these days.

Youngish 80proofers aren't good for much so avoid those. The exception to this rule would be four roses yellow label, it's unique and is a nice summer bourbon with a light fruity palate.
Birdo

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:33 pm

Birdo wrote:

Youngish 80proofers aren't good for much so avoid those.

my motto..........well, 80 proofers in general
393foureyedfox

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:47 pm

squire.....

once again i was staring at the OGD BIB and reached right past it and grabbed the 114.....couldnt help it!

what's with the stupid flimsy cardboard box the 114 is in now? last time i got it, it didnt have a box. i almost didnt see it sitting there on the bottom shelf in a black box. if anything, its easier to overlook in the box.
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Squire » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:30 pm

Donno fox, for me buying Old Grand Dad in the box means a case.
Squire

Unread postby GBrough » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:15 pm

I was raised to love quality over quantity so the lowest i go is old weller.
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Unread postby WhiskeyBro » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:38 pm

GBrough wrote:Cheapest i will go is Wild Turkey 101, i dont trust 15 dollar bourbons.

You can get Very Old Barton 100 Proof for about $13.95, and I have to say it's one of the best sub 20 bourbons available. That being said, most of the stuff on the bottom, bottom shelf is pretty rotten ;)

More OGD 114 tonight. Boy it's good stuff.
WhiskeyBro

Unread postby Bob Barker » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:03 pm

Two new ones we have stranahans which is incredible and corner creek which is great in its own right but pales in comparison to stranahans
Bob Barker

Unread postby GBrough » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:23 pm

WhiskeyBro wrote:
GBrough wrote:Cheapest i will go is Wild Turkey 101, i dont trust 15 dollar bourbons.

You can get Very Old Barton 100 Proof for about $13.95, and I have to say it's one of the best sub 20 bourbons available. That being said, most of the stuff on the bottom, bottom shelf is pretty rotten ;)

More OGD 114 tonight. Boy it's good stuff.

In my area you cant get very old barton, we got OGD 114 which is fantastic, but besides that everything cheap i have had is rotten so i have a ingrained distrust of cheap alcohol. Speaking of WT101 i am having some on the rocks waiting for a friend to bring by some Johnnie Walker Green Label.
GBrough

PreviousNext

Return to Bourbon, Straight