Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evening)?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evenin

Unread postby GBrough » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:05 pm

Some kentucky spirit, was on my feet for 7 hours so this is like paradise.
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:13 pm

finally got my paws on some EW BIB.

not bad! its a lot like the HH BIB white label, but without the pungent/corny aftertaste. probably worth the few bucks more it commands, but not really more than that. I will have to put both the EW BIB and the VOB BIB as really good cheapies!

and i know this is gonna stir up shit, but i finally opened up the 4R1B last night. not impressed, especially at the price. i'll take two EW BIBs over one 4R1B next time. it was nothing like i remembered the barrel proof 4R i tried last month, even though its only a few proof points between them. I know single barrels vary from one barrel to another, but I doubt ill pluck down another $30 on a 4R product anytime soon. and I really wanted to like it becuase of my opinion of its distiller
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Mike » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:58 pm

Suit yourself, 393, but I have never had anything from 4R that was not first rate bourbon.

As to tonight, as I opened the door to my liquor cabinet I pulled out the almost empty bottle of Ancient Age 10 Year old. I know that for me it has always had a unique taste that just makes it more delightful than ever. It is not sold in GA so I ration it out a bit at a time. Mr hole (bung that is) put me on to this years ago, and in most things bourbon, he was right.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:15 pm

walked into my liquor store today looking for something else, when i saw something that stopped me dead in my tracks. there was one of my favorites, Knob Creek 120, sitting on the shelf with a sale price of $19.99. I went back to the front of the store, grabbed a basket, and proceeded to clear the shelf. they even discount it further when you buy as many as i did.

is this how bunkering gets started?
393foureyedfox

Unread postby JLH3 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:57 am

Started with some Rare Breed and then a little Russel's 10 for comparison. You can certainly tell the family resemblance.

I'm getting to the point that if I got left on the desert island with Rare Breed, 4RSmB and Lot B....I'd be a happy man.
Between the wish and the thing the world lies waiting.
- Cormac McCarthy, All the Pretty Horses

"Your hair was darker then."
- Grant
"My heart was lighter then."
- Rico
The Professionals
JLH3

Unread postby Birdo » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:01 am

393foureyedfox wrote:walked into my liquor store today looking for something else, when i saw something that stopped me dead in my tracks. there was one of my favorites, Knob Creek 120, sitting on the shelf with a sale price of $19.99. I went back to the front of the store, grabbed a basket, and proceeded to clear the shelf. they even discount it further when you buy as many as i did.

I woulda grabbed a case at that price. Had to be a mistake. Where? I might go there Saturday to get some.
Birdo

Unread postby GBrough » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:53 pm

Last night I could of gotten WT101 instead I got ruthless rye ale and I regret it. A cold ale sounded good but not that good.
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:30 pm

Birdo wrote:
I woulda grabbed a case at that price. Had to be a mistake. Where? I might go there Saturday to get some.

i went back to see if they had more and theyre all gone. asked the clerk too....all gone. i was gonna get another case if they had it!
393foureyedfox

Unread postby Mike » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:32 pm

393foureyedfox wrote:walked into my liquor store today looking for something else, when i saw something that stopped me dead in my tracks. there was one of my favorites, Knob Creek 120, sitting on the shelf with a sale price of $19.99. I went back to the front of the store, grabbed a basket, and proceeded to clear the shelf. they even discount it further when you buy as many as i did.

I sho do have to agree on KCSB 120. I think it is the best bourbon from Beam. I likes to tame it with some Evan Williams Single Barrel. About 60% KCSB and 40% EWSB brings it in at 106 proof, preserves the rich barrel flavors of KCSB and adds a nice dollop of EWSB delicate sweetness.
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:02 pm

Having a sip of Ezra B Single Barrel. Last time I looked it was about $25 and at that price it is a gem. It is rich, thick, spicy, with lots of citrus that lingers across the whole mouth.
Mike

Unread postby GBrough » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:06 am

Had me a bit to much tonight, it was a friends 21st birthday so we went it out for drinks. I had a manhattan with WT101, a whiskey sour with woodford reserve and some JDSB neat. Between the last two we got some good pizza and a bunch of water.

The JDSB was fantastic everyone who mentioned it and praised was right about the flavor profile and the general quality of it.
GBrough

Unread postby Mike » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:54 pm

'aving a sip of Four Roses 2008 Mariage (107.8 proof), I am. 'Tis a wonder, lads and lassies. 'Tis a wonder I did not buy many more bottles of this sent from the Gods spirit. And, 'ere I am making me way toward the bottom of bottle.... not good, me lads and lassies, not good. And you 'appen across a bottle of this, and you must, kill for it.
Mike

Unread postby JLH3 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:34 pm

After falling in love with Rare Breed, and truly enjoying my RR10, I broke down and bought a bottle of WTKS.

I just hope I don't like it better than the other two since it costs more. :wink:
Between the wish and the thing the world lies waiting.
- Cormac McCarthy, All the Pretty Horses

"Your hair was darker then."
- Grant
"My heart was lighter then."
- Rico
The Professionals
JLH3

Unread postby GBrough » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:18 am

JLH3 wrote:After falling in love with Rare Breed, and truly enjoying my RR10, I broke down and bought a bottle of WTKS.

I just hope I don't like it better than the other two since it costs more. :wink:

I have never had Rare Breed, but my taste lean towards KS post up about your experience with it. I rant and rave about WTKS to all who can hear it, it is my treat after a hard day teaches me to slow down and enjoy life.

Tonight i had some WTKS again need to get that kirkland 20 year scotch.
GBrough

Unread postby GBrough » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:42 am

I had a WT101 on the rocks, excellent a nice way to cool off after spending time with grandpa for fathers day
GBrough

PreviousNext

Return to Bourbon, Straight