Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evening)?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evening)?

Unread postby bunghole » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:49 am

Bourbon Joe wrote:I thought the stuff was terrible Linn. But thats just me.
Joe

You're just not having enough fun with your bourbon, Joe! I do agree that the Devil's Cut is not something to savor in a snifter. I do think it has a lot of potential for vatting purposes. I took 1 part Devil's Cut and added 2 parts Four Roses 'Rust Label', and it was quite good. I also think that the Devil's Cut has a lot of potential to become a big seller as a 'Rock'n'Roll' party down whiskey. A mystique much like Jack Daniel's enjoys. So I can see the AC/DC & Black Sabbath crowd going for it in a big way along with the Goths. They'll just dump it in Coke or something. Beam's "Red Stag" seems to do well mostly in part to a successful marketing campaign with "Kid Rock". Maybe Beam will get Ozzy to slug some down on stage. I can see college parties where they crank up the tunes, and go 'dancin' wit da Devil'. Yo!

:arrow: imasaintbunghole :angel7:
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby ebo » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:57 pm

I finally found a bottle of Devil's Cut. It's not awful, but it's nothing special either. It tastes like JBW to me, only a little bolder. I do like the finish, though.

All in all, I probably won't buy it again, but I've tasted a lot worse bourbon than this.
ebo

Unread postby Satty Beach » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:52 am

Ezra Brooks Black has been hitting me good on all cylinders lately. Perfect with a cube in the summertime. Think I'll stick with it for awhile. It's light, not too cerebral, priced right with good character. Excellent value.
Taken the cure.
Satty Beach

Unread postby schmluss » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:04 pm

Had some Knob Creek Single Barrel. Good end to the week.
schmluss

Unread postby vince » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:47 am

Last night I went back to a whiskey that I really did not enjoy on first glance, Geroge Dickel 12. I am re-considering this, I did enjoy the Dickel last night although I do feel it is a very timid whiskey. However, it has a nice balance to it and it was a perfect whisky for sitting on my back porch watching the world go by.

I will say that I then followed the Dickel 12 with a Makers 46 and I thought the Makers was a better whiskey (at least it tasted better to my palate). A little more dimension to it with more pronounced flavors.
vince

Unread postby ebo » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:23 pm

vince wrote:Last night I went back to a whiskey that I really did not enjoy on first glance, Geroge Dickel 12. I am re-considering this, I did enjoy the Dickel last night although I do feel it is a very timid whiskey. However, it has a nice balance to it and it was a perfect whisky for sitting on my back porch watching the world go by.

I will say that I then followed the Dickel 12 with a Makers 46 and I thought the Makers was a better whiskey (at least it tasted better to my palate). A little more dimension to it with more pronounced flavors.

Odd how people perceive things differently. I think Dickel 12 is one of the very best whiskies to be had for just over $20.00. It is a mainstay in my house... and a favorite. Unlike many others, I do like the Makers 46 quite a bit, but if made to make a choice between Dickel 12 and 46... I'll take the Dickel 12 every time.
ebo

Unread postby vince » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:04 pm

ebo wrote:
vince wrote:Last night I went back to a whiskey that I really did not enjoy on first glance, Geroge Dickel 12. I am re-considering this, I did enjoy the Dickel last night although I do feel it is a very timid whiskey. However, it has a nice balance to it and it was a perfect whisky for sitting on my back porch watching the world go by.

Odd how people perceive things differently. I think Dickel 12 is one of the very best whiskies to be had for just over $20.00. It is a mainstay in my house... and a favorite. Unlike many others, I do like the Makers 46 quite a bit, but if made to make a choice between Dickel 12 and 46... I'll take the Dickel 12 every time.

Ebo, I can appreciate your choice of Dickel 12. to my palate I can get better Whiskey's for $20 , I guess that it what makes the world go around. Enjoy your Dickel! This weekend I am going to have Jack Daniels Single Barrel back to back with Dickel Barrel Select. I'm looking forward to it. What is your preference?
vince

Unread postby ebo » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:42 pm

Ebo, I can appreciate your choice of Dickel 12. to my palate I can get better Whiskey's for $20 , I guess that it what makes the world go around. Enjoy your Dickel! This weekend I am going to have Jack Daniels Single Barrel back to back with Dickel Barrel Select. I'm looking forward to it. What is your preference?

I've never had the Dickel Barrel Select. I always seem to leave it on the shelf because of it's lower proof and price. I do like the JDSB a lot... which is kind of strange because I am no fan at all of Old #7. I'll have to pick up a bottle of GDBS and give it a try.
ebo

Unread postby vince » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:55 am

ebo wrote:

I've never had the Dickel Barrel Select. I always seem to leave it on the shelf because of it's lower proof and price. I do like the JDSB a lot... which is kind of strange because I am no fan at all of Old #7. I'll have to pick up a bottle of GDBS and give it a try.

Ebo: I feel the same way about the Jack Daniels Single Barrel versus the Old #7. Not a big fan of the #7 but really enjoy the single barrel. This weekend will be my first venture into the GDBS, I'll let you know what I think.

Jason Pyle (sourmashmanifesto.com) just reviewed these two back to back and gave the JDSB an 83 (which I think is low) and the GDBS a 90.
vince

Unread postby birdman1099 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:45 pm

I've had a few good pours tonight

Wathens 2004
Johnny Drum 15
4 Roses private selection
6 yr Willett Barrel Proof
birdman1099

Unread postby Mike » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:32 pm

eheart wrote:Gary Gillman's review of the 23 YO Rittenhouse Rye, I am sipping some 21 YO Rittenhouse.

A wonderfully soft nose for a straight rye whiskey.........the 100 proof alcohol is coy and the fruity and spicy rye aromas are warming up in the background. The first sip is mildly sweet........then the zingy spice brings the mid-palate to full attention for a warm minute...........then the thick sweet plasters the back of the throat............and for a finale the spice dances its way through the back of the mouth and down the gullet.

A sophisticated, rich, fruity/spicy drink that is almost delicate for a straight rye.

Again, eheart has plagerized one of my earlier posts. This post was originally posted on June 12, 2010 in this same forum topic. I suggest that eheart be banned from the site and his posts deleted.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:51 pm

i agree.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Greg Adams » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:14 am

Tonight I am having pours of Angel's Envy with a Diesel Unlimited cigar. Nice way to end the evening.
Greg Adams

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:03 am

Greg Adams wrote:Tonight I am having pours of Angel's Envy with a Diesel Unlimited cigar. Nice way to end the evening.

Indeed.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Greg Adams » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:27 pm

I started the evening with some AAA 10 y/o while grilling bone in Rib Eyes for dinner. Tonight I am having some Four Roses Small Batch with a San Lotano Oval Robusto cigar. The Four Roses works well with the San Lotano.
Greg Adams

PreviousNext

Return to Bourbon, Straight