Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evening)?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evening)?

Unread postby gman58 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:09 pm

Tonight I'm having a small pour of Four Roses Yellow Label. It has a very light mouthfeel and a fruity taste. I've got it in a nice tall glass and can get a good sense of the aroma also.

I've been wanting to try this for awhile and finally found a store locally that carried it. A few months ago some folks on this site recommended the 4RSB and the Yellow Label when I asked what would be a good 4R to try. I found the single barrel pretty easily and was glad I did, it's tasty, light and sophisticated. I didn't expect that the Yellow Label would be quite as good but it holds its own. For the price (half of the SB) it is a fine bourbon.
Be Spirited Today
gman58

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:49 am

I'm glad that you are getting exposed to Four Roses and their fine array of bourbons.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby Mike » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:25 pm

This evening I am having a sip of the 2005 Spring (KY) Release of George T Stagg. The bottle is almost empty. I diluted it from 130.9 proof to 105 proof just after I bought it. It is a monstrous bourbon with some aggressive but controlled and rich flavors. The barrel sweetness contends on an equal footing with the rye spiciness. Memorable bourbon I have not had in a large while.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby RandyG » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:28 pm

Had my first sip of Pappy tonight (15 yr. FR). Local liquor store was lucky enough to find a bottle for me and all I can say is, DAMN! I am no aficionado but I like to think I can tell when something is above the norm, and this stuff is phenomenal. I can only describe it as WT Kentucky Spirit with a longer up front "presence". All the accolades laid upon this one is well deserved.

Cheers,
RG
RandyG

Unread postby Mike » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:09 pm

I did a little vatting this evening, as follows. 20 ml of William LaRue Weller @ 125.3 proof, 25ml of Woodford Reserve Master's Collection Maple Wood Finish @ 94.4 proof and 5 ml of filtered water. This makes a whiskey that is 97 proof.

The Maple Wood Finish is, in my opinion, the best of the WRMC bourbons with a nice hint of the maple sweetness one would hope for. Underlaying that sweetness is the characteristic twang of the copper pot, which adds a distinct taste of its own......... one that requires only a slight twist of the tongue to appreciate.

The Weller is intended to soften the twang a bit and add a skosh of its barrel richness.

The water is added to open things up slightly and to keep the proof below 100. Without the water the proof would have been 108..... a bit more than I want since after a gall bladder surgery, I must restrict my alcohol intake.

The resulting whiskey is exactly what I wanted. There is a touch of the maple wood, a bit of copper pot twang, and some extra barrel sweetness and the softness of a wheat bourbon. It is superior to either of the constitutent bourbons and a first rate whiskey in my judgement.

I will do this again!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Greg Adams » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:15 pm

Mike, congrats on the successful vatting. Tonight I am having one of my favorite value pours: Old Charter 10 y/o.
Greg Adams

Unread postby gman58 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:46 am

Tonight I made a flight of inexpensive bourbons. I had an ounce each of Old Forrester, Ancient Ancient Age, Very Old Barton BIB and Old Grand Dad BIB. They were all pretty good. Although not the highest proof, the Old Forrester seemed to have the longest finish.

I've had each of these individually, and it was fun to compare them. Out of these, the VOB seemed least pleasing, at least by comparison. When I've had it alone it's been fine.

Question; I'm heading to Washington DC and Baltimore, MD for a few days vacation next week. I plan to pick up some Virginia Gentleman to try, I assume I can find some so close to where it's made. Anyone have any recommendations of other local bourbons to try?
Be Spirited Today
gman58

Unread postby delaware_phoenix » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:39 am

I'd visit Scott and Becky Harris of Catoctin Creek. Loudon County, VA near Wash DC. They make a young rye called Roundstone Rye that people like. Don't know how it'll compare to what you usually drink. They have tours on the weekend and a little shop now so you can buy direct if you want.
Cheryl Lins - Proprietor and distiller, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY
delaware_phoenix

Unread postby gillmang » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:23 pm

Sounds very good Mike, you are expert at this now.

Here is a Jack Daniels vatting I did: 45% Jack Silver Select, a rather non-Jack-tasting iteration of the single barrel with big black cherry tones against a light, somewhat sinewy body; ditto percentage of a full-flavoured, more traditional-tasting Jack SB (domestic 94 proof) which had a lot of body and extract but lacked finesse; and 10% Jack Old No. 7. The Old No. 7 had that banana/acetone-like taste some Jack Black still has but what it did was knit these others together in a seamless, glycerine-smooth dram which has dashes of dark fruit, a good eggy body and just a little of that "banana pudding" that can add complexity in the right amount. A pillow-soft and very drinkable Jack.

Gary
gillmang
Vatman

Unread postby Greg Adams » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:43 pm

No vatting just enjoying some Old Fitz BIB. It's hitting the spot so tonight may be a wheater night.
Greg Adams

Unread postby bunghole » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:23 pm

Since it's hot as hell outside today, I thought I'd give Jim Beam's new "Devil's Cut" bottling a go. It's different in a good way. Heavy on the charred oak nose and flavor just as you'd think it would be. It's not a balanced bourbon, but I never thought it would be. Afterall, the Devil's not a nice guy, and he's "the father of all lies". I like taking his cut away from him! Ha! Ha! Whiskey he once thought was his is now MINE! In the Glass of {plays ominous music here} SAINT BUNGHOLE! {the sound of triumphant trumpets}

The Devil's Cut is the perfect expression of a bourbonic exorcism, and should find it's way into the glasses of God fearing; bourbon loving saints worldwide. Spank the devil; take his whiskey away, and send him back to hell dry; partched, and angry!

PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE DEVIL'S CUT!

:arrow: imasaintbunghole :angel7:
"A Kind Word Never Broke A Tooth."
bunghole

Unread postby rlg5150 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:02 pm

Knob Creek and blackberry cobbler... Mighty fine desert if you ask me..
rlg5150

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:50 pm

bunghole wrote:Since it's hot as hell outside today, I thought I'd give Jim Beam's new "Devil's Cut" bottling a go. It's different in a good way. Heavy on the charred oak nose and flavor just as you'd think it would be. It's not a balanced bourbon, but I never thought it would be. Afterall, the Devil's not a nice guy, and he's "the father of all lies". I like taking his cut away from him! Ha! Ha! Whiskey he once thought was his is now MINE! In the Glass of {plays ominous music here} SAINT BUNGHOLE! {the sound of triumphant trumpets}

The Devil's Cut is the perfect expression of a bourbonic exorcism, and should find it's way into the glasses of God fearing; bourbon loving saints worldwide. Spank the devil; take his whiskey away, and send him back to hell dry; partched, and angry!

PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE DEVIL'S CUT!

:arrow: imasaintbunghole :angel7:

I thought the stuff was terrible Linn. But thats just me.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby vince » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:33 pm

Well tonight I am sipping on some Makers 46. Our bourbon society (Owensboro Bourbon Society) had Rob Samuels as our guest speaker on Wednesday night. Rob brought "new make" Makers, "underaged" Makers, "Fully aged" Makers. "Over aged" Makers and Makers 46. He gave an incredible presentation, filled with humor and obvious family pride at is bourbon heritage. He is a gentleman and we all really enjoyed his company. So tonight I am sipping on some Makers 46 and re-living a wonderful evening.
vince

Unread postby Greg Adams » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:50 pm

After another long hot day it is now 9:46 pm and the temp is still 96 degrees and humid in my part of the country. I am having several pours of Buffalo Trace with some ice in an attempt to cool down. After working in the yard today and taking care of the neighbors dogs while their gone I poured some Four Roses Yellow Label in a tall glass with crushed ice and filled it up with ginger ale.

I am so ready for winter.
Greg Adams

PreviousNext

Return to Bourbon, Straight