Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evening)?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evening)?

Unread postby ebo » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:01 pm

I pretty much gave up on JD Black. The metallic after-taste really annoyed me. about a year or so ago, on the advice of a friend, I tried George Dickel No. 12. All I have to say is, GD12 is head and shoulder's above JD Black. This is what charcoal mellowed Tennessee whiskey is supposed to taste like!
Yeah... Dickel 12 is far better than JD Black, IMO. I do like the JDSB quite a bit, though.
ebo

Unread postby Greg Adams » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:54 pm

Tonight I am having several pours of AAA 10 y/o. Howiepepper and ebo I agree with you both. Dickle 12 is heads and shoulders above JD Black. I do like JDSB a lot.

Anybody out there have some rain they can spare. My part of southeastern New Mexico has not had any measurable precipitation since September 2010. The old mercury hit 110 degrees today. This makes three straight weeks we've had temps over 100. :shock:
Greg Adams

Unread postby p_elliott » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:20 am

Greg Adams wrote:Tonight I am having several pours of AAA 10 y/o. Howiepepper and ebo I agree with you both. Dickle 12 is heads and shoulders above JD Black. I do like JDSB a lot.

Anybody out there have some rain they can spare. My part of southeastern New Mexico has not had any measurable precipitation since September 2010. The old mercury hit 110 degrees today. This makes three straight weeks we've had temps over 100. :shock:

We have this if you want some water https://picasaweb.google.com/1045925390 ... oodOf2011#
If you don't stand behind our troops then feel free to stand in front of them.
p_elliott

Unread postby jcg9779 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:44 pm

Over the weekend I had some Old Forester Signature, Old Forester BIB DSP-KY-414 (1985), FR Yellow Label, and WT 101.

The Old Forester BIB was head and shoulders above the rest.
Jack

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round.
-Ben Hogan
jcg9779

Unread postby Greg Adams » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:06 pm

This evening I am enjoying several pours of Buffalo Trace. While my area is very dry and dealing with grass fires, I can do without the floods some of our members are dealing with. It is my hope that those affected get their lives back soon and suffer no further damage.
Greg Adams

Unread postby jcg9779 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:55 am

Greg Adams wrote:This evening I am enjoying several pours of Buffalo Trace. While my area is very dry and dealing with grass fires, I can do without the floods some of our members are dealing with. It is my hope that those affected get their lives back soon and suffer no further damage.

I thought you might be going with AAA 10 yr....your favorite!

Tonight I finished off a bottle of OF Signature, and then, several hours later, I had a pour of ORVW 10/107. Neither tasted quite right to me tonight.
Jack

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round.
-Ben Hogan
jcg9779

Unread postby vince » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:30 am

Last night I had a glass of Old Ezra 101 followed by Old Charter 12 Year Old. Both were very pleasing.
vince

Unread postby Greg Adams » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:50 pm

This evening I am savoring several pours of Four Roses Single Barrel. It really is hitting the spot tonight. While AAA 10 y/o is a favorite value pour of mine I sometimes like to change it up a little. The night is still young so I might find the time for some AAA. :D
Greg Adams

Unread postby Greg Adams » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:55 pm

vince

What is your take on Old Ezra 101? As I like Old Charter 10 y/o a great deal I would love to try the 12 y/o. Since I don't have any places around me for dusty hunting the chances of me finding a bottle is slim unless I find some when I am traveling out of state.
Greg Adams

Unread postby vince » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:58 am

Greg Adams wrote:vince

What is your take on Old Ezra 101? As I like Old Charter 10 y/o a great deal I would love to try the 12 y/o. Since I don't have any places around me for dusty hunting the chances of me finding a bottle is slim unless I find some when I am traveling out of state.

Greg:

I think Old Ezra is a good to very good bourbon. It is going to be sweeter than the AAA 10 year Old (which I know you love) and a little sweeter than the Old Charter. It is made at Heaven Hill although they do not own the brand. We just had a tasting at our Bourbon Society meeting two weeks ago (Owensboro Bourbon Society). We had Charles Medley as a guest speaker (Wathens) at the Medley distillery. We tasted Wathens and Old Ezra (Old Ezra , at one time was made at the Medley Distillery). Most of the male bourbon society members preferred Old Ezra.
I would give it a try, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
PS the Old Ezra we tasted was 7 years old and 101 proof, not the tradition Ezra Brooks.
vince

Unread postby vince » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:03 am

Last night I savored the new Four Roses Limited Release Single Barrel. As usual, Jim Rutledge has made a fantastic bourbon! This bourbon is incredibly complex and you really need to take your time with it. It has an aggressiveness to it at the mid-palate (at barrel strength) but also subtle nuances which gives it an elegance. I would say a more experienced bourbon drinker will appreciate this more than someone just starting their bourbon journey.
vince

Unread postby Greg Adams » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:59 pm

vince

Thanks for the info on Old Ezra. I will have to order a bottle as no one in my neck of the woods carry it. They only carry the 80 proof.

Good pick up on the Four Roses. I have been checking my internet dealers nightly with no luck.

Tonight is single barrel night: Blanton's.
Greg Adams

Unread postby Birdo » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:11 am

Had a Fighting Cock on the rocks. This stuff is as good as many small batch bourbons I've had, or at least close enough. Careful, 103 proof means small sips only.
Birdo

Unread postby vince » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:49 am

Fighting Cock is a very good bourbon. Last night I had Old Bardstown (the 101 proof version). One of the most disappointing Bourbons I have ever had. Did not care for it at all. I am almost down to the last of the Old Ezra 101 so I followed the Bardstown with the Old Ezra. No Comparison, Old Ezra is considerably better.

I kept tasting extremely young rye in the Old Bardstown, it had no balance in the flavor, very poorly crafted bourbon if you ask me.
vince

Unread postby ebo » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:47 pm

I'm a fan of Old Ezra 101 myself. It's very good for the price. Hell... it's a very decent pour, regardless of the price. 8-)
ebo

PreviousNext

Return to Bourbon, Straight