Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evening)?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evening)?

Unread postby Greg Adams » Fri May 20, 2011 11:05 pm

I guess it's not a surprise but I'm having some AAA 10 year old.
Greg Adams

Unread postby Greg Adams » Sun May 22, 2011 10:30 pm

This evening I started with a pour of Blanton's. It just wasn't getting it done so I pulled out the Old Charter 10. This is more to my taste tonight. :bounce:
Greg Adams

Unread postby gauze » Mon May 23, 2011 1:20 am

last night had a flask of old fitz bib
tonight a sip of knob creek.
gauze

Unread postby vince » Mon May 23, 2011 10:27 am

Over the weekend I got to try two bottles of the Buffalo Trace single oak collection. Bottles #3 and #99. I have to tell you I was not impressed at all. Bottle #3 was the sweetest bourbon I have ever had. It was like drinking a caramel milkshake. One dimensional and so rich that I regretted finishing the glass. Honestly, one of the worst bourbons I have ever had. Bottle #99 was a little better but not much.

I will not be purchasing any of these bottles and frankly I am very surprised that Buffalo Trace would charge what they are for bourbon of this quality.
vince

Unread postby gauze » Mon May 23, 2011 11:49 am

it's not evening in fact it's 11:40am but we don't have a morning drinking thread...

ok I couldn't find reference to this stuff on here so I had some vodka (fairly clean stuff) but I don't drink vodka really and I found a bottle of this stuff in a homebrew store so I thought I'd give it a try, on a lark anyway:

http://store.homebrewheaven.com/prestige-bourbon-whiskey-essence-p1148.aspx

in english it says to mix with a bottle of vodka (750ml) but I read it in swedish as well and it says 3/4 bottle so this might explain why it's so light colored like watered down apple juice, swish it around it appears to have fairly thick legs (probably from some oil in the essence), the nose is puzzling. the stuff in the bottle smelled like roses, and some other stuff I couldn't figure out, after blending it with the vodka it smells like uh ... I can't pick anything out, it's very very mild the nose ... gonna brave a sip.

slight sweetness something sort of like oak that dissolves into that rose scent again ... smooth but uh weird. Now I have a full bottle of this stuff to get rid of something to bring to a party I guess haha.
gauze

Unread postby delaware_phoenix » Tue May 24, 2011 7:58 pm

Ah yes, the old Whiskey Essence, "used by the big distilleries to make their whiskey". Sure thing. Maybe in Russia.

It's hard for me not to say you should have known better gauze. Mixing flavorings into vodka is what makes "imitation whiskey". Mixing at least 20% whiskey into vodka is what's called "blended whiskey" (American style). None of it is really whiskey except with the name. For gauze and anyone like him/her, please buy real whiskey. There's very little bad whiskey out there these days. It's got to be better than pouring some "essence" into some vodka.

I know my friend Mike would have much nicer way of saying things than I, a mere hick. I'm sure the Saint would say DON'T DRINK IT MAN, DON'T DRINK IT! And I've had a few myself tonight (more in a minute on that) so the whiskey has made me brave and ready to rumble! Put 'em up! (Where'd he go. I just saw him. He was right there! Why am I seeing the light fixture on the ceiling? That doesn't make sense.)

Anyway started with Old Fitz BIB. Then on to Dickel. What a fascinating comparison! The corn character in these two bourbons is very different. Worth exploring.
Cheryl Lins - Proprietor and distiller, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY
delaware_phoenix

Unread postby Pirate762 » Tue May 24, 2011 8:31 pm

Working on some Van Winkle Special Reserve Lot B. Fairly tasty pour actually. Its been a while since I had any.
Pirate762

Unread postby gauze » Wed May 25, 2011 1:09 am

delaware_phoenix wrote:Ah yes, the old Whiskey Essence, "used by the big distilleries to make their whiskey". Sure thing. Maybe in Russia.

It's hard for me not to say you should have known better gauze. Mixing flavorings into vodka is what makes "imitation whiskey". Mixing at least 20% whiskey into vodka is what's called "blended whiskey" (American style). None of it is really whiskey except with the name. For gauze and anyone like him/her, please buy real whiskey. There's very little bad whiskey out there these days. It's got to be better than pouring some "essence" into some vodka.

of course I knew better I said it was on a lark! have 70 bottles of the real thing around here and about 6 liters of vodka I can't see being drank anytime soon, soooo for $4 I was curious as to what this could possibly be.

I don't think it claimed to be used by "the big distilleries" but I have seen some yeast strains that claim that, as doubtful as that is.
gauze

Unread postby gman58 » Wed May 25, 2011 11:30 pm

Tonight it is VOB BIB. This stuff has a pretty strong taste, not timid at all. I'm enjoying a small glass of it neat.

I picked this up in KY on a recent drive down there.
Be Spirited Today
gman58

Unread postby delaware_phoenix » Thu May 26, 2011 7:32 am

gauze wrote:of course I knew better I said it was on a lark! have 70 bottles of the real thing around here and about 6 liters of vodka I can't see being drank anytime soon, soooo for $4 I was curious as to what this could possibly be.

I don't think it claimed to be used by "the big distilleries" but I have seen some yeast strains that claim that, as doubtful as that is.

Yes, the Gert Strand Distiller's yeast! That's what was used at the "big distilleries". That stuff is awful too.

I understand your curiosity. I wish more people would be like you and discover how whiskey is so much better than vodka. :D
Cheryl Lins - Proprietor and distiller, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY
delaware_phoenix

Unread postby gauze » Thu May 26, 2011 8:43 am

delaware_phoenix wrote:
gauze wrote:of course I knew better I said it was on a lark! have 70 bottles of the real thing around here and about 6 liters of vodka I can't see being drank anytime soon, soooo for $4 I was curious as to what this could possibly be.

Yes, the Gert Strand Distiller's yeast! That's what was used at the "big distilleries". That stuff is awful too.

I understand your curiosity. I wish more people would be like you and discover how whiskey is so much better than vodka. :D

I always call low end canadian whiskey "whiskey flavored vodka" when people mention they are whiskey drinkers then mention some canadian brand. :lol:
gauze

Unread postby gman58 » Sat May 28, 2011 12:19 am

Tonight I'm having a glass of Blantons, courtesy of my wife. Today was my birthday and she bought me a bottle.

I'm having it with a little splash of water and it's very tasty. Each time I raise the glass, I get aromas of oak and a sweetness of some sort. The oak is there in the taste but the sweetness, not so much. That's replaced by a hint of cinnamon. The finish then is very long. I'll have to pick special nights for sips of this stuff.
Be Spirited Today
gman58

Unread postby Mike » Mon May 30, 2011 6:04 pm

dp, I loved your ready to rumble post, here's to ya!! This evening I just happened to pick up my bottle of 21 YO Single Barrel 100 proof Rittenhouse Rye. I have not had a sip of this whiskey in months and my recokomemberer says this is some fine whiskey. This whiskey, if I memory serves well, is rated very highly by most who try it and, with good reason. It is a superbly rich and deeply robust whiskey that owes only a just amount to the tannins of 21 years in the barrel. It is beautifully balanced between fruity essences (figs, overripe peaches, apricots), barrel sweetners (thick and creamy), palate wiping warming spices (cinnamon, white pepper, ginger), and ultra aged barrel subtleties (dry but not too tannic).

Shortly, I will begin the search for another (although very expensive) bottle of this unique Heaven Hill world class spirit.

BTW, I was in Texas last week and finally had a sip of J.T.S. Brown 80 proof 3 YO bourbon. Paid $6.75 for 375 ml. Quite drinkable, with an edge to it that makes you want to take off your pants, shirt, and shoes; sit in your undershorts; and sip 'til you spin with the world.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Mon May 30, 2011 9:22 pm

Mike wrote: Quite drinkable, with an edge to it that makes you want to take off your pants, shirt, and shoes; sit in your undershorts; and sip 'til you spin with the world.

Now you're starting to talk like the Bunghole.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby GrandePdre » Mon May 30, 2011 11:34 pm

Elmer T. Lee tonight. Very nice.
GrandePdre

PreviousNext

Return to Bourbon, Straight