Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evening)?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evening)?

Unread postby Birdo » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:59 am

WL Weller SR 7y/o. New found luv for this low cost bourbon. $22.99 for a 1.75 liter and 90 proof to boot!! :D Weller SR is a smooth, easy drinking bourbon that is great on the patio during warm weather. A nice wheated bourbon for half the cost of Makers :shock: Cheers!

Cheap enough to dump in Coke or Sprite for that guest that won't try it on the rocks.
Birdo

Unread postby cds » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:44 pm

IMG_3064.jpg
IMG_3064.jpg (106.8 KiB) Viewed 11201 times
cds

Unread postby jcg9779 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:40 am

I started off the evening with a small pour of Irish - Black Bush. It is very light and tasted pretty good. Next, I opened my bottle of WTRB. I thought it was extremely good and had an almost buttery taste to me. Then came a pour of Old Forester Signature and I ended the night with a pour of PVW 15.
Jack

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round.
-Ben Hogan
jcg9779

Unread postby jcg9779 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:09 pm

I started off this evening the way I finished last evening - PVW 15.
Jack

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round.
-Ben Hogan
jcg9779

Unread postby vince » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:35 am

jcg9779 wrote:I started off this evening the way I finished last evening - PVW 15.

You can never go wrong with Pappy 15! A true masterpiece!
vince

Unread postby howardf » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:27 am

Put a large dent in my bottle of Whistlepig tonight, and I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't live through tomorrow.
howardf

Unread postby Mike » Sun May 01, 2011 11:43 am

howardf wrote:Put a large dent in my bottle of Whistlepig tonight, and I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't live through tomorrow.

Not sure I have seen this one at 'my' liquor store, but I will check........ there are good reviews on it and you obviously like it too!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby howardf » Sun May 01, 2011 12:16 pm

Mike wrote:
howardf wrote:Put a large dent in my bottle of Whistlepig tonight, and I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't live through tomorrow.

Not sure I have seen this one at 'my' liquor store, but I will check........ there are good reviews on it and you obviously like it too!

It's definitely worth a try for an enthusiast like yourself, but it's no match for Sazerac 18, and they're in the same ballpark pricewise. I got mine at Shoppers Vineyard.
howardf

Unread postby gman58 » Sun May 01, 2011 10:19 pm

Tonight we had Old Forrester. I used it to make a couple bourbon and ginger ales as well as a bourbon sour. All were very tasty.

We were going to have guests over for dinner and I had put out a couple single-barrel bottles, Four Roses and Knob Creek. But, no one felt like having a drink neat so I used the Old Forrester for mixed drinks. Truth be told, I've had so many pours neat lately the bourbon sour was a nice change. The Old Forrester was enjoyed by all and went well with the mixers.
Be Spirited Today
gman58

Unread postby jlohr » Thu May 12, 2011 11:56 pm

I'm new to the site and this is my first post. I'm not new to the world of bourbon but I am new to tasting bourbon the way it ought to be tasted. I bought a bottle of Rebel Reserve the other day and decided to pour a glass when I got home tonight. When I first nosed the bourbon I got some of the classic bourbon flavors.. caramel, leather a little vanilla and the wheat aromas were very nice but I am a little disappointed. It had a... thin mouth feel if that makes any sense. I got some good peppery notes with some apple flavors in there but then there was the finish... not very long. Over all I don't think this is a very complex bourbon. It was like a really good band got together and said: "This is what the public likes so let's give it to them". I can't say it's a bad bourbon because it does contain all the elements that good bourbons have but I wish the makers of Rebel Reserve would have given us a good shove rather than a push. I think this is an excellent bourbon for anyone new to the world of bourbon but anyone who wants to get a sense of what bourbon could be (notice I didn't say should) my choice would be the Knob Creek Single Barrel. Thanks to anyone who took the time to read this. Best Regards, Jeff
jlohr

Unread postby Pirate762 » Fri May 13, 2011 8:27 pm

I believe I'll have some 4RSB. I ahve a bottle that I bought several months ago and go back to every now and again. It eems to change some every time I try it. Its always good to me, just different. Cheers to all.
Pirate762

Unread postby Greg Adams » Fri May 13, 2011 10:40 pm

This evening I will be having several pours of AAA 10 year old. I have recently rediscovered this bourbon after moving from West Virginia 31 years ago. I like it as it is a simple good tasting whiskey that I can drink without putting a lot of thought into. :D I can't get it in New Mexico so i have to order it.
Greg Adams

Unread postby jlohr » Sat May 14, 2011 12:45 am

gman58 wrote:Tonight we had Old Forrester. I used it to make a couple bourbon and ginger ales as well as a bourbon sour. All were very tasty...
We were going to have guests over for dinner and I had put out a couple single-barrel bottles, Four Roses and Knob Creek.

Next time you throw a dinner party let me know. Old Forrester is a little underrated in my opinion.

Cheers,
Jeff
jlohr

Unread postby Greg Adams » Sat May 14, 2011 10:51 pm

Tonight is the same as last night AAA 10 year old. The bottle has one pour left and will be finished off. Then as a nightcap I will probably have some Old Charter 10 year old. Will have to get another AAA 10 out of the bunker.

Long live the good under $20.00 bourbons.
Greg Adams

Unread postby Greg Adams » Sun May 15, 2011 11:11 pm

Finished off the Old Charter 10 year old while grilling some New York Strips for dinner. Now I am working on an open bottle of Charter 101.
Greg Adams

PreviousNext

Return to Bourbon, Straight