Taste Testing 13 Bourbons: A Noob Journey

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Taste Testing 13 Bourbons: A Noob Journey

Unread postby TheEther » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:46 pm

My Father and I did a single sitting taste testing of everything listed here. It took over 2 hours and WOW what an experience it was. Controversial would be a word to describe it, eye opening would be another. Let me back up. I started drinking bourbon about 2 months ago, I’m a complete foodie, I’m in my late 30’s and just enjoy new experiences. My very first try at real bourbon was the very same bottle of Eagle Rare 10 that we included in this review. I don’t consider myself a connoisseur, nor to I consider myself to have a freak-of-nature palate. My reviews here are written from my point of view for mainly what I tasted during the taste testing although pieces of others opinions crept in. Mainly my palate is represented here. I’m also finding that I have a bit of a sweet-tooth and I don’t find a lot of rye very pleasing over all. I also found that I had difficulty distinguishing between levels of sweetness, I sensed it as a high frequency (if you will) or low frequency sweetness more than a flavor. I'm going to need more work on that as with understanding the rye more.

Mainly what I’m looking for from you gents is what holes I have in my bourbon experience to date. This review represents the whole of my bourbon experience save Makers Mark which I don’t find pleasing. I almost bought a bottle of MM 46 the other day, but I've read mixed reviews. I don't find MM to be very compelling.

I hope you enjoy reading our remarks below as much as we enjoyed transcribing them. Suggestions are welcome.. I’m curious where that next-level bourbon experience lies.. Our top 8 in order from best to worst are at the bottom.

As a side note I ran into a gentleman (didn't get his name) at the Hamburg Liquor Barn in Lexington KY (Friday 1/20) at around 11am. This dude knew bourbon and spent 20 minutes with me explaining differences across LB's very large selection. He said he spent a bit of time on this forum, and I just want to send a thanks!

Thanks!

TheEther

Old Fitzgerald 12 year
Paid: $30.99

Nothing to speak of on the nose, alcohol and oak.. My sniffer may not be that refined..

Taste is a 3 trick pony, slightly sweet on the front immediately giving way to what I perceive is a dry musty rye in the middle (even though this is a wheated bourbon) then slowly tapering off to a glorious long light vanilla way in the back. The front and middle are bit uninteresting, but the vanilla is worth waiting for. When I want my vanilla fix, this one has the most overt vanilla I’ve found so far. It reminded me of Yuengling Lager. You drink it for the finish..

Is this a 30 dollar bourbon? I’m still struggling with that one but I do like the vanilla…

Very Old Barton 6 BiB
Paid: $11.99

On the nose I get alcohol and a licorice/honey type scent.. Alcohol is stronger on the nose than the Weller 12.

My first drink really impressed me for a cheap bourbon. The sweetness lingers then dry rye, then strong toasted oak.. love the wood flavor. My only issue here is the finish, there really isn’t much to the finish besides a slightly dry sweetness on the back of my palate. I almost get a light tobacco/espresso taste through the nose on the finish but it’s ever so subtle. My very last drink there was a peat moss type flavor with the sweetness on the front. Excellent value..

Bernheim Original (Wheat Whiskey)
Paid: $29.99

A high sweetness on the nose very little alcohol and maybe a wine like smell, is this Angels Envy? (I jest of course) but yes, I do get that from it.

Taste is almost no bitterness, slight sweetness, nothing to grap your attention. Does have a weird alcohol bloom toward the end. There’s nothing here for me.. this might be a good whiskey for a beginner with an undeveloped palate. Sorry dear, I don’t think this relationship will work.. but thanks for the $10 rebate, it takes away the sting a bit…

Old Weller Antique 107
Paid: $20.99

I can’t say enough about this bourbon. Is it one of the best bourbon values in the business? I think so. To be 107 proof, it’s smoother on the palate and going down than some of the other 90 proofers here.

Love the long sweet note up front, in the middle strong wheat then light sweetness on the back.. not über complex but nice and welcoming like an old friend.

Old Weller 12 Year
Paid $22.79

On the nose I get high sweet toasted oak.

Very sweet, creamy then dry I would say a more prevalent dryness that Bufflao Trace. Frankly I think this would be a completely different bourbon at a higher proof. I really hate to say it but I’m still gravitating toward the OWA 107, there’s just more there. I’m also probably an idiot for saying that..

Buffalo Trace
Paid $21.99

On the nose I get little alcohol which is surprising, but I do get a orangey/citrusy note and what I think is sweet prunes… Impressive..

Very sweet on the tongue on the front, slightly creamy, slightly dry, a little tart, mild rye kick, alcohol doesn’t bite too much. The finish is dry rye, once that dissipates I get a light/very light hint of the citrus again and poof it’s gone leaving vestigial dryness in my mouth waiting for the next drink

Old Forester Signature 100
Paid $16.79

On the nose it’s very very sweet, walking through a honeysuckle patch sweet

Wow, did they add sugar to this? Can someone check on that? (just kidding) This sucker is sweet.. Love it. Sweet citrus red old style licorice is what I get.. but that’s about it, maybe the lightest bit of the nutty barrel oak. The finish just tapers off real smooth. I’m very impressed. Woah, 2 minutes later, are you fricken kidding me? Vanilla shows up! Not bold and not long like the 12 year Old Fitz, but it surprises me again.. This is one of my top 4 bourbons right now. I’m just shaking my head in disbelief.

Eagle Rare 10
Paid $28.99

On the nose sweet maraschino cherries. Shamefully I also get a hint of Vicks 44D cherry.. It’s pleasant.. but funny.. I smile wryly a the 44D thought..

Sweetness is quick up front and gone.. hey hey, welcome gods of sweet rye carrier wave that brings a little mint along. Not bad.. Finish slightly sweet, just chillin’ then hello soft vanilla. Yeah, for me that vanilla gives it street-cred. Love the vanilla. Not a long finish but nice.

Angels Envy
Paid ~$42.99

On the nose I can definitely smell those port barrels, unique but not so unique that I didn’t catch a hint of that on the nose of Berhneim. Probably the highest frequency of sweetness on the nose that I’ve experienced yet.

The first drink the sweet left the party so quick it almost started me then immediately the rye kick.. bang.. hold it, hold it, a little sweet tobacco like grandpa’s pipe back filling the room of my mouth. Ya know it reminds me of Woodford and about as boring as the Bernheim. Feeling like I was just sold a bill of goods at the price.. My Dad puts it a step above Woodford.

Angels Envy doesn’t exactly scream what it is, it’s asking you to search deep down to figure it out and honestly I don’t feel like I should have to.

Sorry yall, overhyped

Russell’s Reserve 10
Paid $31.00 (I think)

High alcoholic sweetness couldn’t put my finger on what, but what I’m smelling honeysuckle high though.

Has more body, much like the viscosity is higher, thicker, creaminess. Very sweet similar but not quite as sweet as the Forrester Signature. Definitely a mid palate rye punch that lingers and mellows for nearly 45-60 seconds then once the rye is gone, a dry, very very light sweetness.. Smooth.. a keeper for those times when that rye punch is good for what ails ya.

Ancient Ancient Age 10
Price Paid Less than $20

On the nose a very pleasant minty cinnamony sweetness

First taste, loads of sweet oak sugar on the palate then immediately a bitterness that dissipates about as quick as it showed up. Then, back to sweet. Finish is short for me and if not a bit dry, I wouldn’t consider my batch as “mesmeric” but definitely pleasant. I’ll keep it around for when I’m looking for a change but not one of my favorites.

Woodford Reserve Distillers Select
Price (you all know what it costs ;-))

On the nose oaky whispy sweetness with a slight earthiness..

Disclaimer, my bottle is half full and is about a year old. Very sweet up front then about 5 seconds of nothing right after the sweetness is gone. Rye shows up just a bit and tapers with some caramel… then a slow fade with a light-sweet taste but not really inviting me back to dance with the ole gal.. Leave my palate feeling clean though, not dry. Meh.. Pretty bottle? ;-)

Four Roses Single Barrel – Barrel 52-G Warehouse NN
Price Paid $32.00

Nose has more alcohol than I expected, lighter than most on the nose

Sweet and velvety honey right up front, the rye kick is lightning fast then yields to more dried muted fruit levels of sweetness. It kind of blooms in your mouth (no pun intended) from front to back. Just really really nice and not confusing. Keeper..

Our Top 8

1. Four Roses Single Barrel
2. Old Forrester Signature
3. Russell’s Reserve 10
4. Old Weller Antique 107
5. Buffalo Trace
6. Eagle Rare 10
7. Very Old Barton BiB 6yr
8. Old Fitzgerald 12
Attachments
BourbonatDads.jpg
BourbonatDads.jpg (105.36 KiB) Viewed 11070 times
TheEther

Re: Taste Testing 13 Bourbons: A Noob Journey

Unread postby Wasatch » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:33 pm

Very nice reviews. Keep it up. To date I've only had one of those. I sure wished that Utah carried some Four Roses. I can say that I really enjoyed the Buffalo Trace. :D
Cheers!
Wasatch

Unread postby Mike » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:39 pm

I enjoyed your post and your tasting notes. You certainly tagged some of my favorites. I would not really quarrel with any of your findings. For me, personally, I would not want to try so many at a single sitting, but tasting a number of bourbons has some advantages. I would suggest some smaller pairings or even just taking each individually on different evenings. I would suggest that at some point you try some of what I call the ultra aged bourbons and ryes....... but they are usually a good bit more expensive. In my opinion (and I am almost alone in it) these older guys have a unique quality that is more delicate and subtle........ but as many will quickly point out, a tannic dryness that does not suit every palate.

At the moment, I am sipping some Noah's Mill 15 YO for which I paid about $45. I find it to be a superb bourbon, espicially with the addition of a bit of water to tame its 114 proof.

Your notes were interesting and informative........ keep up the good work!!
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby TheEther » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:37 pm

Mike, I appreciate your insight. Perhaps I tried to do too many, but it was a timing thing, they were all there at once, and I had a rare day with my Dad where we could just sit, BS and have a bit of fun with it. If it'd spent a bit more time with each I probably could have been more descriptive. Mostly I wanted to try them all to benchmark them and see which ones stood out. I was really surprised the Old Forester Sig took 2nd place in the test.

I'm not shy at all about spending 45-70ish for a bottle of liquid quality. Frankly, I'm just learning what I like and I figured the midrange would probably be the place to understand that. Today I picks up some Bookers, Bakers, Knob Creek 9 (not SB), Basil Hayden, Elmer T Lee and Elijah Craig 12. I'll be going through those one or two a day in the next couple of days and will add those also.

I'm looking to have 4-6 guys over in March for a true blind taste testing. I was thinking of creating a raking system for each where they could sort of circle the flavor profiles and rank quantifiable qualities such as sweetness, mouthfeel, spice, length of finish. Does something like that exist?

What other ultra aged bourbons would you suggest? I'll keep and eye out for Noahs Mill, but don't recall seeing it. The place where I get my bourbon has over 100. I saw they just got a batch of Rock Hill Farms and was curious about it, its in the mid-40's price range.

We sure had fun with it and I really looked forward to sharing my experience with the forum.. Thank you both for going easy on me and the encouragement!

Ether..
TheEther

Unread postby Birdo » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:43 am

Nice! Glad to here you are going to try Beams good stuff, especially Knob Creek, i suggest Beam Black also.
Birdo

Unread postby vince » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:43 am

Good stuff, keep it up! I like your reviews and agree with most of them. Let us know what you think of the Beam products
vince

Unread postby TheEther » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:22 pm

I picked up a sampler of Bookers, Bakers, KC and Basil this week, will be getting in to them over the weekend.. Thanks!

I am interested in where people disagree with me too. Frankly, I'm painfully aware that I'm new at this and if there's something I'm missing, I'd sure like to know...

Thanks so much!
TheEther

Unread postby ScurvyDog » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:07 pm

Good job on the review. I have done this with my cousin's enormous scotch collection. I don't care for scotch like I do boubon. I'm working on a collection so we can do same with bourbons.
ScurvyDog

Unread postby TrojanAnteater » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:09 pm

Ether,
Enjoyed reading the tasting notes. Must've been a fun night! I am a noob as well, and although I've been technically drinking good bourbon and scotch for a few years now (albeit not regularly- I'm mainly a craft beer drinker), it has only been just recently that I've branched out to try a bunch of different bourbons thanks to the newfound intertest in it from my dad and uncle. Now every time we gather it's tasting time! hah.

From your list I've only had Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare 10. I'm a huge fan of Buffalo Trace Distillery as they were the first bourbons I ever tried as I stumbled upon a formal tasting while at my favorite whiskey bar in downtown LA in 2006. I don't usually drink regular Buffalo Trace Bourbon by itself (usually mixed as an old fashioned), but I do love that Eagle Rare as a regular drinker with a couple ice cubes. Last weekend we tried regular ER10 side by side with ER17, which I scored for $79.99 (this was a 2010 bottling). ER17 was, IMO, verrrrrry good, but not sure if it was completely worth that higher price tag. In fact, most places around here have it priced at $99.99.

Just last week I bought Blanton's Single Barrel (a dec '11 bottling) on a whim and I would say it's my #1 favorite bourbon now. I almost wanna call it a "dessert bourbon." I love the sweetness in it. Think I picked it up for around $50. I would say it's definitely worth a taste in the near future.

Cheers!
TrojanAnteater

Unread postby sggladden » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:26 pm

Wow that sounds like quite the taste testing! Of the brands you sampled I've only had the Buffallo Trace which I found all right but not something I'd make a regular. I've been meaning to try try Four Roses Single Barrel. I have a bottle of their small batch or special reserve or whatever the heck they call it and I'm not too fond of it. By no means am I an expert but I'm thinking I prefer the corn and wheat flavors to the rye.

I'd recomend that you try a bottle of Blanton's single barrel. It's smooth and sweet. This is a drink that even non enthusirst will find pleasing! If you can find it give a bottle of George T Stagg a shot... this is the only bourbon I prefer neat with as much as 1:1 mix of water but at 141 proof it can handle dilution just fine. Man it is so complex it's like deinking 3 or 4 different bourbons. I also like Jack Daniels Single Barrell Select as well as Old No.7... my everyday go to pour bourbon or not be damned I just enjoy it.
sggladden

Return to Bourbon, Straight