Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evening)?

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: Well, y'all, what you be drinking 'sevening (this evenin

Unread postby Mike » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:11 pm

RandyG wrote:Alright, finally got me a bottle of Woodford Double Oak. Still trying to get a handle on this one. It's good, no doubt, but different enough to leave me wondering exactly what's going on. This one will definitely take several visits to come to terms with. A challenging pour.

RG

I am about to buy my second bottle, Randy. To say I like it is an understatement.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby RandyG » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:03 pm

My first sip was like "hmmmmm", wasn't sure what to think. By the end of a short pour, I was still a little skeptical as to exactly what to think. I very much look forward to figuring this one out. Kinda like a good mystery. I did do something a little weird towards the end of the glass. I added just shy of an equal part of Thomas Handy BTAC. First sip of this was very interesting with more than resemblance to one of my favorites, Pappy 15. Should have been very close in proof as well. Looking forward to trying these again, and soon :D

Cheers,
RG
RandyG

Unread postby thomas15 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:59 pm

Before I go into whats in my glass tonight, I want to mention last night. After work we went to the Hamburg PA Cigars International Superstore. They had a live band and of course two bars and millions of cigars and plenty of overstuffed lounge chairs. I mean smoking cigars is normal in this place. I had a Cohiba Red Dot Robusto which I had in my humidor before I went there. I bought a Knob Creek single and drank it neat while smoking the cigar. Great time I must say.

OK tonight I'm finishing a bottle of Jim Beam Rye. I will say that the bottle went through several personalities as the level of spirits declined. At first it was great but the brew took on an unpleasant taste that I cannot describe about mid-bottle. Towards the end though it came to it's senses and I'm going to have another in the future.

Meantime, I think I will try some of the WT 81 Rye that Gary wrote about. Oh, and I have open at this time, half bottles of Old Forrester Signature, Knob Creek 9 year, Burnheims Wheat and an almost full Evan Williams Black Label. Also a small bottle of Glenlivit 12 year. The good news is, I have lots hidden in my basement, the biggest problem I have right now is deciding what to open next.
Whiskey for Breakfast (in the key of Glock).
thomas15

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:40 pm

Thomas,
I go up to CI all the time. Do you live close? Perhaps we could get together for a pour sometime.
Joe
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Unread postby thomas15 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:26 am

Joe,

Yes, I live near Lehighton (Carbon County) and work in Phillipsburg, NJ. I shop in the CI store on Rt. 191 in Bethlehem on the way home. Of course that store doesn't sell refreshments but you can BYOB and they have nice lounge areas also. Next time you are visiting any of the CI stores or in the area let me know. Friday was the first time I visited the Hamburg location but any excuse to go there and Cabelas is, well, you know, good.
Tom
Whiskey for Breakfast (in the key of Glock).
thomas15

Unread postby PollardsVision » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:43 pm

I'm generally a fan of most lower shelf bourbons, and for some reason, I'd never had Ancient Ancient Age 10 Star (the one people usually only get by mistake from what I gather). Correcting that error tonight.

After one pour, I like it. Still trying to decide how much. From the nose to the mid-palate, it's pretty damn good. Sweet without being cloying, a little spice, a little oak. Good stuff.

But the finish leaves a lot to be desired. All those great flavors quickly vanish. What I find left is not much more than a little bitterness and maybe some faint tea flavors. I don't love the finish, but it's not too bad and the bottle is still well worth the $12.50/L price tag.

Depending on how the rest of this bottle goes, I could definitely see it being a regular in the rotation.
PollardsVision

Unread postby 393foureyedfox » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:09 pm

not technically a bourbon , but....

Dickel 9/103. its growing one me. nice mouthfeel but my cracked lips tell me its about 200 proof.

for a split second every now and then i get the vitamin thing others talk about. as soon as i notice it though, its gone.

overall, it leaves a great, and long lasting, aftertaste
393foureyedfox

Unread postby JLH3 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:01 pm

Bought a bottle of Baker's today. I don't often pay the price for it, but I'm always glad when I do.
Between the wish and the thing the world lies waiting.
- Cormac McCarthy, All the Pretty Horses

"Your hair was darker then."
- Grant
"My heart was lighter then."
- Rico
The Professionals
JLH3

Unread postby GBrough » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:25 pm

Had me some Ardbeg Corrvreycken, i recommend this to anyone who wants to have an excellent islay that is cask strength.
“A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
GBrough

Unread postby Birdo » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:37 pm

Had a Old Heaven Swill Gold label on the rocks, and I like it fine. Also had some Knob Creek. The cupboard has been reloaded with Fighting Cock.
Birdo

Unread postby PollardsVision » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:28 pm

Birdo wrote:Had a Old Heaven Swill Gold label on the rocks, and I like it fine. Also had some Knob Creek. The cupboard has been reloaded with Fighting Cock.

Just sitting down to a glass of FC myself. Finishing up my first bottle, and I must say it's really grown on me.
I still wish it was a couple bucks cheaper around here, but it's certainly worth the $18. My 2nd favorite under $20 drink (behind OGD100).
PollardsVision

Unread postby Birdo » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:27 am

PollardsVision wrote:
Birdo wrote:Had a Old Heaven Swill Gold label on the rocks, and I like it fine. Also had some Knob Creek. The cupboard has been reloaded with Fighting Cock.

Just sitting down to a glass of FC myself. Finishing up my first bottle, and I must say it's really grown on me.
I still wish it was a couple bucks cheaper around here, but it's certainly worth the $18. My 2nd favorite under $20 drink (behind OGD100).

Since you like fighting cock, you might like the old heaven hill gold label, it's very similar, and cheaper. Some of the other heaven hills aren't as good as the gold label.

My nephew tried the FC on my recommendation and liked it too. I think its as good as fancy bottle stuff for less cash.

Cheers!
Birdo

Unread postby PollardsVision » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:05 am

Birdo wrote:
PollardsVision wrote:

Since you like fighting cock, you might like the old heaven hill gold label, it's very similar, and cheaper. Some of the other heaven hills aren't as good as the gold label.

My nephew tried the FC on my recommendation and liked it too. I think its as good as fancy bottle stuff for less cash.

Cheers!

Boy, I'd really love to try it, but as far as I know, none of the HH-branded bottles are available in my state (VA).

My only options for that range of HH products are the full EW line. I like EWW, and always keep a bottle on hand, but I find it has a rich, chocolately sweetness that is sometimes off-putting to me (not much of a sweet tooth and not a huge chocolate fan in general). I generally prefer heavier caramel/vanilla tones to chocolate and banana.

Anyway, the point is I would absolutely love to have another $13ish option available around here. I much prefer FC, but it's more expensive. No HH. No VOB. I probably just need to make sure and stock up on FC when it's on sale.
PollardsVision

Unread postby Wasatch » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:31 pm

Tonight some Jefferson's Reserve Very Old, Very Small Batch. This is quite different than what I've had so far, but it's up there with some of the best I've had also. Definitely worth trying out.
Cheers!
Wasatch

Unread postby Mike » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:56 pm

Having some Pappy Van Winkle 15 YO. Probably as good as bourbon gets. It MAY have equals, but there are none better. Extraordinary balance and subtlety, with a cognac-like delicacy.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

PreviousNext

Return to Bourbon, Straight