Old Taylor - distilled in 1948

Have an old/rare bottle you'd like some more info on?

Moderator: Squire

Old Taylor - distilled in 1948

Unread postby MikeK » Mon May 07, 2007 7:18 pm

I recently bought a marvelous old glass decanter of BIB Old Taylor - F1948-F1953. The bourbon was pristine and all I was hoping for. Here are my notes and a picture.

Nose: Thick and heavy, like an old port. Sweet and herbal, reminiscent of Benedictine liquor or French oak. Aromas of mint, chocolate-berry, juniper, and oranges

Flavor: Elegant and subtle when first opened, with an ethereal spiciness. Opened up with heavenly sweet caramel and rich butterscotch. Rich yet delicate.

Finish: Sweet and fruity with medium-long length. Once opened up the finish became quite powerful and long lasting

Overall: This decanter was so beautiful and pristine I almost didn’t want to open it. Almost. The bourbon was thankfully unspoiled after 54 years in the bottle. At first it was very light and subtle; enjoyable, but not as rich and powerful as I was hoping for. But once the contents had time to breathe and come to terms with the new millennium, it came into its own wonderfully. The nose is wonderful and complex with a flavor as rich as you would expect. A real jewel. It is a true privilege to enjoy this bourbon.

Cheers,
Attachments
ot.jpg
ot.jpg (40.65 KiB) Viewed 5974 times
Mike
"The only way to drink Bourbon is straight, and preferably straight from the barrel."
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby bourbonv » Tue May 08, 2007 7:35 pm

MikeK,
You are one lucky man to have that bottle. I love the old Old Taylor bourbons. I have drank many from the 70'sand 80's and I have drank some from prohibition. I even drank some bottled in bond 1913-1918 at an event at the Filson (100 Years of Bottled-in-Bond in 2001, John and Linda were there as well). All have been excellent bourbons. I think I might have even tasted some from your style decanter or one very similar at John's house. Other than the over aged Old Taylor from prohibition, that may not have been Old Taylor since it was bottled at the end of prohibition, all have been great bourbons.

Drink one for me and the other Mikes here at BE.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby MikeK » Wed May 09, 2007 6:50 am

The first 'vintage' Old Taylor I ever had was a late 70's BIB at last years Sampler. It blew me away.

I had a wee dram of the above OT last night in honor of you all while watching 'House'. Perhaps I'll bring some of it down in September.

Cheers,
Mike
"The only way to drink Bourbon is straight, and preferably straight from the barrel."
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed May 09, 2007 9:51 am

Mike,
If you can make it on Wednesday before the Bourbon Festival weekend, then try to come by the Bistro here in Louisville. Mike from Georgia is coming up and we are planning a Mike Night at the Bistro (including a few others as well but we need to develop that secret handshake so the more Mikes the better). If you make it maybe we can come up with a few other versions pf Old Taylor to compare.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby MikeK » Wed May 09, 2007 10:17 am

Mike,

I'm expecting to arrive in town on Sunday or Monday night. Sounds great, I will plan to have dinner at the Bistro on Wednesday night and hang out for the evening.

Cheers,
Mike
MikeK
Student of Whiskey
Student of Whiskey

Unread postby bourbonv » Wed May 09, 2007 12:29 pm

Great News! That is three Mikes. How about it Scratchline. Michael Hack. Any other Mikes out there to join the party?
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby scratchline » Wed May 09, 2007 5:53 pm

Ahhhh, now you're just taunting me, Mike V. Believe me, I'll be with you in spirit. And when I head your way this summer, maybe we can reunite the Clan of Mike.

-Mike
"There exist mighty dogs, the dangerous kind who take hold of your heart and do not let go."

-Vicki Hearne
scratchline

Unread postby Bourbon Joe » Mon May 14, 2007 7:08 pm

Well, in addition to all the Mikes you're going to have a Joe and a Doug. We'll change our name to Mike if we have to. Hell, you can even call me Brenda if you give me some of that Old Taylor. See y'all at the Bistro.
Joe :partyman:
Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

Bourbon, It's cheaper than therapy!
Bourbon Joe
Erudite Bourbonite
Erudite Bourbonite

Return to Collector's Corner