Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameOld Taylor
Bottled ByJames B. Beam Distilling Co. Clermont,KY
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content80 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Not Available Duty Free: Not Available Europe: Not Available
Age6
Views (since 20080612) 10106
Bottling Info

Review from gillmang (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1784, Created:20091230194910, Updated:20091230222204)
Purchased at:New York recently
Purchased for:325 ml for about $8.00
Info on this bottle:stamped '95 on underside
Nose:Pleasant maple-like notes, soft and juicy
Taste:Rounded, soft, light, perfumed, very flavourful. Some not unwelcome starchy notes, the vegetable base is not quite effaced but there isn't a raw corny taste
Finish:Echoing and rounded again.
Overall:An apparent post-ND bottling but with some ND distillate I think since the label mentions both Frankfort and Clermont. It hasn't quite the full butterscotch notes the pre-93 bottlings have but is very well put together. It is much better in my opinion than OT when it was all-Beam since the later 90's at any rate. Perfect for neat sampling and discloses an old-time flavour especially at 80 proof. If the Trace version to come in the future will be as good I will be very happy.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Dump Bucket (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1559, Created:20090515231257)
Purchased at:Liquor mart in Tucson
Purchased for:$7.99 for a 375ml
Info on this bottle:Bottle date is 1988
Nose:Light corn and some caramel sweet
Taste:Tasty. These 80s vintage bourbons have a great taste to them you get a lot of good bourbon taste without a lot of alc. This is not exception. Very silky in the mouth and good soft vanilla and some cream
Finish:Sweet then some corn. There is a butterscotch element to this that is just perfect on these bourbons.
Overall:This was a luck find at a market/liquor store that did not show up on my hunting list. Everything else they had was new except this oddball Old Taylor glass marking for 1988.

Although this is not as good as the BIB Rake sent me, it has all of the profiles that the BIB did, just reduced on the alc, but does not feel watered down.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 657, Created:20061126130901, Updated:20090517210941) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Athens, GA
Purchased for:$12.99
Proof Of this Bottle:80
Nose:A light nose with corn, orange candy slices, vanilla, marshmellows, and a swipe of leather and oak. Very subtle and quiet, but pleasing!
Taste:All the flavors of the nose in restrained harmony. A glow of spice comes forward at mid-palate to offer an unexpected and pleasant surprise.
Finish:Too short and a lack of complexity keep it even from the middle shelf.
Overall:It is bourbon and it has some sublety and flavor, but lacks true character in my opinion.

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 442, Created:20060401090435, Updated:20090517211046)
Purchased at:Bourbon's Bistro Bar
Purchased for:5.00
Info on this bottle:Standard Bottle
Proof Of this Bottle:80
Nose:Corn and caramel with a little yeast and wood. Very simple nose.
Taste:Very thin but sweet with caramel and corn with a little spice.
Finish:Short and sweet - not complex at all.
Overall:Bourbon and coke or whiskey sour bourbon.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews