Bottled ByBuffalo Trace Distillery Frankfort,KY
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content129.9 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Unknown Duty Free: Unknown Europe: Unknown
Age12
Views (since 20080612) 12126
Bottling Info[from BT press release 3OCT2006]

William Larue Weller

William Larue Weller is the Antique Collection's uncut, unfiltered wheat recipe bourbon. The barrels were aged 12 years on the fifth floor of Warehouse M. This year's William Larue Weller registers at 129.9 proof. At barrel strength you can really taste the wonderfully sweet and rich flavors of the wheat recipe.

Review from KettleOne (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2090, Created:20120627192828, Updated:20120629043046) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Crunkleton, Chapel Hill, NC
Purchased for:24 per glass
Info on this bottle:2011
Proof Of this Bottle:138
Nose:The main theme of this bourbon is "Don't let the nose mislead you." The nose smells terrific. Cherry, maple syrup and brown sugar as I'd expect from a wheated bourbon. Honestly, I could smell this bourbon all day long. It is that good.
Taste:The taste is a striking difference. You'd expect the whisper of wheat on the tongue but what is most forward is the char. This bourbon (hand of God) tastes like bacon. The unfiltered quality brings forward a very masculine, bold taste that I cannot liken to another bourbon. Elijah Craig 18 isn't nearly as char tasting...and that is saying a lot. However, what is neat here is this bourbon is char-y without a gross ash taste. It is a dark, dark chocolate. A prickly finish, of course, from the hi proof and rye; yet, brutally balanced. This is not a beginner bourbon. In fact, at first i didn't like it. But, as I continued to drink it (neat), this bourbon made me think about it so much that I grew more interested. Please get a pour and decide for yourself. But, I like its bold flavor. In your face flavor that isn't shy. If I were to draw an analogy I'd say that it is like a woman who at first is sweet and beautiful, but by night's end is ripping your clothes off with a loud rebel yell and whipping out all sorts of toys. God bless all of them like that, by the way...
Finish:The finish is similar to, say, a young Willett or a GT Stagg. Heavy burn, but not just because of the alcohol. This burn is rye... and heavy, delicious char. Long, long lasting finish... BACON. I'm telling you --- BACON. LOL.
Overall:Like I said before, this is a harsh, strong flavored bourbon. Not in an alcoholic / ethanolic manner...but big on flavor. I might have this bourbon with a steak or cigar. This is a very BIG bourbon for seasoned bourbon drinkers...who will like it! For the price, you're not getting cheated on flavor. Enthusiasts please taste and give me your feedback.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from BuffaloBill (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1275, Created:20080907002734)
Purchased at:Cape Cod
Purchased for:$50
Info on this bottle:William Larue Weller
Nose:This is the exact bottle pictured above. Cherries are predominant with just the right amount of oak. Firm rye component opens into a flurry of delights.
Taste:One of the finest bottles of bourbon I've ever tasted. Huge legs, big complexity. It delivers!
Finish:Long and dry ethanol ending after all said and done.
Overall:Cherries, peaches, fine leather, tobacco, rock candy, oak, vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon, mocha, pear, apple, mixed citrus, chocolate, and much more. Perfectly balanced. It's #1 in my collection. BB

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from spun_cookie (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 909, Created:20071116201420, Updated:20071116213324)
Purchased at:ABC, Orlando,
Purchased for:~$44
Proof Of this Bottle:129.9
Nose:A little scent of acetone at first, as the ice melts I get some black current and cherries. A little light oak is on the tail of the nose with walnuts in fudge???
Taste:VANILLA extremely strong on the tip of my tongue and then it moves to cherries/black current and butterscotch - little orange. The longer it sits in my mouth the fuller the tastes get.

I can detect some oak, but it is not prevalent. Almost reaches a milk chocolate quality.
Finish:Rocks:
0-15 seconds strong vanilla and butterscotch
15-30 butterscotch with a little cherries around the tongue
30-45 seconds there is this taste tat brings memories of the citrus chocolates that were shaped like oranges - I have not seen them in a long time, but this brings back memories
45-60 seconds brings an end to the even mellow burn that is filled my mouth with echoes of with light fudge, orange/chocolate.

I did not find the burned toffee, sugar, etc that others found. May be due to the Ice that is in it...
Overall:Better than the 05, and I liked the 05. The finish is a little longer, but not much, but the fullness of the flavors from taste through ~30-40 seconds is excellent. I only with it would remain longer. I find myself wanting to sip more often, faster with this than I do with my other favorites to keep the flavor fresh.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 719, Created:20070220172343, Updated:20070220193710) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Tower Liquor Store, Doraville, GA
Purchased for:$54.99
Nose:First off, I cut this bourbon to approximately 105 proof. It has a rich nose with that nutty, oakey, cheerful nose that the best wheaters have. You can and should linger over it a bit and note how it warms your nose, but in a slightly different manner than a rye bourbon does. I defy a true bourbon lover to walk away after a whiff of this aromatic delight. It is composed, in addition to the nuts and oak mentioned above, of vanilla, leather, caramel, citrus, cherries, butterscotch (or burnt sugar, if you prefer), ripe dark cherries, and of all things, acetone (I was a chemistry major once in college and spent several years working in industrial labs), which does not detract from the WLW nose. Altogether a complex and interesting nose that is quite satisfying.
Taste:A creamy sweetness fondles the front of the mouth, while a bit of orange flavored spicy pepper makes a brief appearance about midpalate. Toward the back is a flash of chocolate, that, ghost-like, disappears as mysteriously as it entered. A lot going on here for the attentive taster, and some of it might just be new territory. As with the nose, take your time.
Finish:The finish of WLW is not long (my complaint with its previous incarnatiion was with the finish), but the alcohol (even at 105 proof) contains some thick sweetness and citrusy flavors right to the end. Not a great finish, but a very respectable one.
Overall:A bourbon to sip when you allow yourself time to appreciate what it has to offer. It is complex, interesting, and very enjoyable.

Review from TennBourbonMan (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 640, Created:20061110202711) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Red Dog Wine and Spirits, Franklin, TN
Purchased for:59.99
Nose:Burned Sugar, Raisony/Datey/Dried Fruit aroma, backed by Oak, Vanilla, and a hint of spice (perhaps of the Cinnamon/Nutmeg/Allspice variety though I can't totally pick out which one).
Taste:Whooooo! a warm even burn that doesn't get too intense despite it's heavy 129.9 proof but never really ceases right to the finish. A big, powerful whiskey, less flavor focused and more on punch. But alas the sweetness makes an appearance with some charred oak/hickory tones
Finish:The finish is moderately long, oaky, burned sugar, caramel, some dryness (again due to the alcohol I presume).
Overall:A very unique qhiskey for me as I've yet to explore thoroughly the 120+ proof bourbons. I find this whiskey to have a great nose, but the alcohol hides a lot of the flavor on the tongue. It regains some composure on the finish to give you a peek back into what the flavor could be like if cut a bit. This led me to try to figure out what the best way to drink this bourbon was for me. This review was straight, uncut. I tried 1 finger with a splash of water, 1 finger with 2 splashes, and 1 finger with 5-6 shards (crushed) of ice. The later cooled down the alcohol a bit, increased the mouthfeel to allow you to get more flavor on the palate. I found it "opened" up a lot more to reveal a softer, sweeter (wheatier) profile than above.

Review from TNbourbon (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 628, Created:20061102205730, Updated:20061102205925) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Middle Tennessee
Purchased for:$53.99
Nose:Ah, now this is more like, right off the top! Last year's nose was full of alcohol and oak. This one's a wheater from the get-go! Caramel/brown-sugar fudge. More caramel/brown-sugar fudge. I can't get past it (nor do I want to).
Taste:Oh, boy -- it's there on the palate, too, quick-dried by oaky heat (think Weller 19yo, but a little less closed-ended). "I scorched the fudge a little in the bottom of the pan, Mom -- can I eat it?" A little bit of the burnt-toffee sense, but just enough to excuse making another batch.
Finish:Finish is medium-long and warm, with hints of orange.
Overall:There's hope for Weller barrel-proof, after all. Sweet tooth-soothing.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews