Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameOld Heaven Hill
Bottled ByHeaven Hill Distilleries, Inc. Bardstown,KY
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content100 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Unknown Duty Free: Unknown Europe: Unknown
Views (since 20080612) 37104
Bottling Info

Review from Birdo (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2220, Created:20130725112437, Updated:20130726080730)
Purchased at:Liquor Barn Louisville KY
Purchased for:9.99
Info on this bottle:Old Heaven Hill (gold or light brown label)
Proof Of this Bottle:100
Nose:Like sweet bourbon, vanilla and oak. Nice color says it's been aged and not cut with too much water.
Taste:Full flavor with enough sweetness to make it nice on the rocks. Rye spice comes through strong early in a good way.
Finish:Nice thickness, vanilla and carmel.
Overall:This may be Birdo's Holy Grail of cheap bourbon. Enjoyed it without any reservation. Similar to Fighting Cock only cheaper. Better than HH White label (Too Dry) and Evan Williams Black (bland).

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Birdo (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2196, Created:20130529112033, Updated:20130530070230)
Purchased at:Krogers in Lousiville
Purchased for:$8.49/750ml cheap
Info on this bottle:White label 6 year old 100 proof
Proof Of this Bottle:100
Nose:Nice whiskey smell and dark amber color
Taste:Strong whiskey flavor, spicy, very dry sort of rough.
Finish:Too dry and spicy, not much smoothness
Overall:Apparently HH puts their better bourbon in more expensive bottles. This stuff is hard core on the rocks and too rough for my taste. However, I mixed it up with simple syrup and bitters and it was just fine, especially considering the price. This one works well with sweet mixers and is an excellent value, just don't expect to drink like Elijah Craig 12.
FOLLOW UP OPINION: Had a small pour of the 'good stuff' last night, then a shot of HH over ice, it is actually okay once the taste buds are loosened up. A guy could develope a taste for this stuff.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from ethangsmith (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1894, Created:20101128134655) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Wine Source, Baltimore, MD
Purchased for:$8.99/750ML
Info on this bottle:Gold foil label BIB
Nose:Smells like the other "high rye" bourbons. Not real strong, but hints of the rye, some sweetness, no real remarkable alcohol smell.
Taste:This product is like a significantly cheaper version of Fighting Cock with a little less age to it. Sweet and buttery on the tongue with plenty of rye spice and dryness.
Finish:Heavy on rye dryness but not a whole lot of heat considering the proof. Hints of maple, butter, and oak. Very pleasant.
Overall:My favorite! I buy it by the case! Why spend $20 on Fighting Cock or $18 on Old Grand Dad BIB when for $9, you can have this!!! Buy a bottle, and if you end up not liking it, mix it in soda! You're only out $9!

Review from Dump Bucket (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1536, Created:20090415224309)
Purchased at:Indy
Purchased for:$2.50 for a 375 ml
Info on this bottle:6 yr from 1991 - faux tax stamp
Nose:Corn and some wheat. There is a soft touch of citrus as well and possible aluminum or some metal. Very pleasant
Taste:Corn, citrus, a little burn,
Finish:Citrus, corn and then a little leather. Possible a little oak and herbs???
Overall:This is one of my favorite HH bourbons. Pre fire juice is good. Not a lot I can say about it. It is what it is... a pleasant easy going HH BIB.

Review from kystormwatch (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1479, Created:20090209211359)
Purchased at:Liquor Barn (3/2008)
Purchased for:Approx $11
Info on this bottle:BIB Old Heaven Hill
Nose:Fruity - pineapple and strawberry (odd!), brown sugar and vanilla notes also strong. Lots to pick up on here, which was not really expected.
Taste:Has a quick initial bite from the alcohol and then a big bold slug from the oak and rye. Heavy on the tongue.
Finish:Lingering burn fades but has a fairly long finish. You can feel this one for a while. Dry. No sweetness at all. Various oak notes are what gets left behind.
Overall:I'd had several people tell me this was a really nice, inexpensive bourbon. So I really wanted to like it. But I just can't say a lot for it. I'm not goint to bash it, because it obviously has its fans, but there's just not much here other than the nose that I find interesting or enjoyable enough to justify frequent tastings. Value? It's not a pricey bottle, but I'd rather add $4-5 more to get to the range of several much smoother options.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1364, Created:20081124155010) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Frugal McDoogal's, Nashville TN
Purchased for:$2.80 for 200ml
Info on this bottle:Govmint supervised
Nose:Burnt brown sugar, leather, whiff of rye, vanilla, char, and oak open the bid. Also smells of hay, grain, and roasted nuts. A bit strange but I be warming up to it.
Taste:On the creamy side (which is a good thing) upon entry becoming a touch on the ragged side as it makes its way across the mouth. A little sweetness and a little spice........leastways this 200 ml bottle will fit in my pocket when me and the dog go to church........er, ah, I mean fishing!
Finish:Not short, not long
Overall:I hate to say anything bad about any bourbon.........so I won't.........howsomever, I will not be sending Barleycorn out in my sports car to get another bottle of thisn........anywayhow, I don't trust that dog in my sports car, he like to let the top down and it ain't even a convertable.

Review from drinkdrankdrunk (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1310, Created:20081012164707)
Purchased at:Two Bucks, Ft Worth
Purchased for:$12
Info on this bottle:Old Heaven Hill, BIB, Liter, Current Label
Nose:Not alot. Alcohol, wood, sweet.
Taste:There is some burn to this one. Not bad. Sugary, oaky, rye flavors take over pretty quick. They don't dance too much, just kinda settle in and make themselves at home. Pleasent well balanced flavors though.
Finish:Long lasting, Warms your gut. Verges on a fire in your belly, but wanes before it gets there. Nice!
Overall:This grew on me. Alcohol heat hit pretty strong the first drink, but I noticed underlying flavors that had some possibilities. I let the bottle breath a few days, and more flavor and nose appeared that actually worked with the heat. I wish more stores carried this instead of the 80 proofer. Definetly worth every penny.

Review from gillmang (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 803, Created:20070709082444, Updated:20070709093933)
Purchased at:Bardstown
Purchased for:Not much!
Info on this bottle:200 ml, seems the current bottling but marked DSP 31 (so maybe the bottle goes back some years, that or the whiskey is older than the marked 4 years of age)
Nose:A fine bourbon nose of charred oak, caramel and bread toast and a very light corn oil (not as much as in some other Heaven Hill-branded products), alcohol lingering around, slight camphor notes
Taste:Good depth of flavors similar to the nose, with the corn oil hints slight but in evidence. No "greeny eucalyptus" (I think this trait is coming out of the HH whiskeys)
Finish:Long and lingering
Overall:Excellent whiskey and very well-priced. It would make a great Manhattan or Old-Fashioned but I like it on its own too. I agree with all MikeK's excellent comments, I'm just saying it differently. (I.e., I think the bottle he tasted and mine are quite similar even though his was marked 6 years old and mine 4). I think the difference between the HH-branded whiskeys such as this one and the EC and EW line is the HH-branded ones have some of the corn taste still in them, in this sense they are less matured I would say than the others mentioned (except maybe for EW Black label). They are good whiskeys at a good value point and I hope they will always be available.

Review from MikeK (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 518, Created:20060604164957, Updated:20060611155506)
Purchased at:Evergreen Liquors, Louisville KY
Purchased for:$3.39
Info on this bottle:"Old Heaven Hill" BIB, 6yo Gold Label, 200ml
Nose:A lot of nose for a Heaven Hill product. Sweet with nuances of pineapple, banana, mint, and circus peanuts candy.
Taste:Sweet and pleasant with flavors of coffee and cocoa. Thick mouth feel.
Finish:Medium finish. Sweet fading to dry. Peach?
Overall:

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews