Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameGeorge Dickel Barrel Select
Bottled ByGeorge A. Dickel & Co. Tullahoma,TN
TypeTN Whiskey
Alcohol content86 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Not Available Duty Free: Not Available Europe: Not Available
Age10
Views (since 20080612) 41542
Bottling Info10 Year old product with very limited distribution I am told... If you have more info feel free to contact me.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2085, Created:20120618182751)
Purchased at:Somers in TN
Purchased for:High $30s
Nose:A bit of char opens this nose, followed by a swipe of oak, some corn, and some nuts......... noticabley not there are the vanilla and the caramel, nor any maple syrup. A bit different than most other American Whiskies.
Taste:The taste is on the soft side with a touch of moderately rich sweetness followed by a zip of cinnamon spice. Not really delicate, but not robust either. Very drinkable.
Finish:Retains some useful liveliness for a respectable period of time.
Overall:Very drinkable. Not very notable.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from ChewyLeatherTobacco (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1985, Created:20110916071654, Updated:20110924114323)
Purchased at:online uk whisky
Purchased for:$130AU incl Post
Info on this bottle:0560899901. 0660900001. 2006 Dickel. DIAGEO
Nose:Pine, Perfume, Alcohol
Corn not right.? like Pickled or Vitamin? WHAT???
a slight dickel buttery note but gets pinned down.
Taste:Silk, Refine, super Thin, dense, alcohol,
CIDER, TOASTY Acidity grain.
this nice ashy refine smoke (only good thing)
MID palate is so thin. i cant even get a chew.
were is that big soft fresh baking DOUGH like wonderful texture and the buttery corn MOUTHFEEL? and that super balance? it taste weird to me.
Finish:cider, ash, grains stick in my throat.
Overall:empty glass smells just like DICKEL. I also did not like No 12 from 2006. corn too not the same. i did not enjoy this bottle at all . did time, neat, water, etc.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from ColoradAL (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1964, Created:20110514233211, Updated:20110514235419)
Purchased at:Tullahoma TN
Purchased for:$39.99
Proof Of this Bottle:86
Nose:
Taste:
Finish:Charcoal, sweet grain, good length.
Overall:Subtle and complex. An easy sipper. The charcoal filtering that the two Tennessee distilleries boast about promote a 'smooth' whiskey, perhaps at the expense of bold flavor and greater interest.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1819, Created:20100312210339, Updated:20100312212105) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:
Nose:Char, maple, vanilla, old shoe leather, mint, smoke, and a whiff of nutmeg or some such spice. Quite nice and interesting.
Taste:Somewhat soft and sophisticated sweetness upon entry. The spice evolves slowly and never attacks. The sweet and the spice come to a quick accomodation and see no point in an argument.
Finish:Subtle, to call it moderate is to slightly overstate the case.
Overall:A nice whiskey that is almost delicate and understated. Not something for every occasion, but suited for a contemplative mood. A long sunset, your wife in a loving and forgiving mood, your dog with his head on your foot, good news from the children, a $100 bill in your pocket, friends on the way over.............and it comes your way, take it, enjoy it..............being the cynic, you know it can't last.

Review from gillmang (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1671, Created:20090902215348, Updated:20090902215619)
Purchased at:Nashville some months ago
Purchased for:Circa $50
Info on this bottle:Current bottling
Nose:A mineral and vitamins note.
Taste:Soft and rounded, a little oily/glycerine, with an almond-like taste. The mineral and vitamins are present too. Very mild char despite this being well-aged.
Finish:Not prolonged but pleasant, notes of wood and alcohol.
Overall:A good quality, well-matured whiskey with a signature taste. I drank half and then mingled it 50/50 with some 1970's black label Dickel I found in San Francisco. The 70's Dickel actually tastes quite similar to the current profile and the mingling works well.

Review from BuffaloBill (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1382, Created:20081209130905)
Purchased at:Sampled with a beverage manager on Cape Cod
Purchased for:$46
Info on this bottle:Dickel - Barrel Select 2006
Nose:It shows serious complexity along with vanilla, slight maple, honey tones etc...
Taste:The viscosity is contradictory, medium to full then quick to finish, but round. And the flavor profile is similar, very interesting, unique, layered, but the structure is all over the map. It further opened with a few drops of spring water, surfacing some smoke and char... Good wood, but over-rated because it's hard to pin down. The flavor profile is scattered.
Finish:Smooth, medium to long, sparking the palette throughout.
Overall:I disagree with Malt Advocate on this one. I'd give it an 87 or maybe an 88 but not a 92. I can't justify the price. At $32-34 it would be ok, but not $46. A good bottle of JDSB blows this away by a long shot. BB

Review from spun_cookie (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1250, Created:20080820220750)
Purchased at:
Nose:light maple, some vanilla and oak.. and some fruits
Taste:sweet, fruits and TN whiskey... not bad, but not great...
Finish:its ok, not very long, but pretty pleasant. No banana to speak of, but the TN whiskey it there.. little oak and a sweetness
Overall:best of the dickel that I have had, but stil a dickel. The TN whiskies just don't float my boat.

Review from Bourbon Joe (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1096, Created:20080601201208)
Purchased at:Drank at Son-In-Laws in Alabama
Nose:Vanilla, Vanilla and more Vanilla. Some caramel also. I could have kept my nose in that glass all day.
Taste:Classic Tennessee Whiskey. Soft and warm. Vanilla and Caramel, Almost no burn. More like a bourbon than say Jack Daniel's.
Finish:Medium length finish. Finishes well as all good whiskies do.
Overall:I loved this particular bottle. It was the second generation bottling. I wish I had a case of this stuff. Great sippin whiskey. The bottle only lasted about an hour. Everyone there (all bourbon lovers) loved it.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 973, Created:20080109141603) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:
Nose:Wood char in a mild and pleasant serving, some vanilla and mild spices, along with some distinct rye. Interesting and attention getting. A few more moments give up some nutty and earthy aromas.
Taste:Light sweetness that slips past quickly. Moderate spiciness about mid-palate.
Finish:Moderate, but doesn't hold your sensory module in the 'busy' mode.
Overall:First sip in over a year, may be another year before I sip again. Nothing in the world wrong with this TN whiskey, but it moves me not. No cowboy song for this fellow.

Review from spun_cookie (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 870, Created:20071023213128)
Purchased at:Somewhere in FL
Purchased for:$35
Info on this bottle:750 ml
Nose:
Taste:Leather, apricot, spice, and other fruits
Finish:
Overall:Not a bad Tennesse whisky, but I prefer a rich bourbon....

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 845, Created:20071005090523)
Purchased at:Party Mart on Brownsboro Road
Info on this bottle:Standard bottle from liqor store
Nose:Caramel and charcoal smoke with a hint of apricots and citrus fruit.
Taste:A bit thin but with some nice fruity, caramel flavors mixed with maple charcoal smoke and pepper spice. The fruit come through stronger towards the end with spiced apricots being the fruit.
Finish:Not a strong finish but pleasant while it last. Sweet caramel quickly leads into smoky wood and then to oak tannins before fading.
Overall:This is a nice sipping whisky but I still prefer the the Dickel 12 in flavor.

Review from mcadmin (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 670, Created:20061216204040, Updated:20070101085936)
Purchased at:The Alabama ABC
Purchased for:$45.00
Nose:Maple, vanilla, very light smoke (light-to-slightly-medium barrel char?), significant caramel and sublte spice. For a Tennessee, the sweetness from the corn in the mash is most assuredly in command.
Taste:One of the sweeter (non-bourbon) drams I've tried. The corn, maple and vanilla features dominate and support the nosing. My subjective palate detected the smoky dryness.
Finish:Somewhere in the middle. The spice comes out, but does not sustain the sweet flavors (no lingering warm feeling with this bottling). While the finish is indeed sublte, I would not ascribe "confidence" to the finish, due to its overly-sweet character and non-lingering appeal. Perhaps because of its relative-diminutive proof, this might provide a different experience at 100 proof.
Overall:OK--this not a bourbon. A Tennessee, and a good one at that, and albeit nearly too sweet, it is a pleasant dram to sip, perphaps after a heavy dinner, and not before. Is this a closet after-dinner liquor (liqueur)? Sure, I'll buy another bottle, but don't expect to go through this one too quickly.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 663, Created:20061129133649) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Sigman Bottle Shop Conyers, GA
Purchased for:$33
Info on this bottle:Small Batch selected 10 Barrels at a time
Nose:An excellent nose with sweet wood, char, maple syrup, mint, leather, smoke, vanilla, and some other pleasant things I just can't quite put my finger on.
Taste:This goes down oh, so good! Vanilla sweetness mixed with a touch of maple syrup, then some caramel, rye spice, allspice all with a nice creamy viscous mouthfeel. Making an appearance is the smokey dryness in a carefully measured amount. Great balance of flavors with a smooth approach.
Finish:Moderately long with a bit of spice bite that complements the other flavors very well. The finish is not insistent or boisterous, it is confident and subtle.
Overall:Boys and girls (oops, y'all ain't old enough yet to hear this), women and men, this is the bestest Tennessee whiskey I have yet had. This is my first taste of GD Barrel Select and based on this example, I will put it way up there and will go to it often. There is that Tennesse difference on display, a dry hint of charcoal that some will find a bit strange.........but it works for me in George Dickel. I recommend this whiskey for its distinct, yet excellent flavor.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews