Comments on Mike's review of Noahs Mill

Comments and Discussion on Whiskey Reviews found in BE.com's database

Moderator: Squire

Comments on Mike's review of Noahs Mill

Unread postby forumadmin » Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:13 am

This is an automatically created topic for discussion about Mike's review of Noahs Mill;.
forumadmin
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby bourbonv » Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:13 am

Mike,
I think you tend to like a little more wood than I do. My biggest problem with Noah's Mill is that it is very woody. The dry wood tannins tend to bring out the alcohol heat and create an unpleasant burn. Lowering the proof with water helps lessen the burn but the tannins are still there in force.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Mike » Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:36 am

Mike, my biggest knock on any bourbon is that it is 'thin' or lacking in flavor or robustness. I can take high proof, if I sip lightly and slowly.

High proof bourbons such as George T Stagg, Bookers, other barrel proof boubons sometimes cause me a bit of grief when then hit my stomach, but I prefer not to add water as it seems to me to thin the taste along with cutting the proof. I don't mind a bit of wood as long as it is not too dry.

My last experience with Pappy 23 YO was that it was too oakey, to the determent of other flavors. But that was 5 years ago and my tastes have changed since then........at that time I made a statement that I have long since retracted, I said, 'No bourbon is as good as scotch!' I gave that up a long time ago. So on my trip to Louisville I hope to try some Pappy 23 at Bourbon's Bistro. I am unable and unwilling to pay $299 here for that privilege.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby bourbonv » Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:10 pm

Mike,
I also find the Pappy 23 yo too woody. The Bistro has some Pappy 23, but it is something like $35.00 a pour. They are generous pours, but that is still $35.00 a pour! Too rich for my blood - I can chew on a 2x4 cheaper if I really want some wood flavor.

Actually, though, Pappy does have a lot of wood but a lot of other flavors as well to help make the drink more palatable. Noah's Mill has wood that brings out alcohol masking the other flavors. That is my biggest complaint about Noah's Mill. You get a hint of flavor other than wood and alcohol, but it is just a hint overwhelmed and faint.
Mike Veach
"Our people live almost exclusively on whiskey" - E H Taylor, Jr. 25 April 1873
bourbonv

Unread postby Mike » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:56 pm

bourbonv wrote:Mike,
The Bistro has some Pappy 23, but it is something like $35.00 a pour. They are generous pours, but that is still $35.00 a pour!

Gives my pause too. Thirty-five smackers will buy a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel, or a couple of other bottles of even less 'spensive whiskey.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby jburlowski » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:36 am

Mike wrote:
bourbonv wrote:Mike,
The Bistro has some Pappy 23, but it is something like $35.00 a pour. They are generous pours, but that is still $35.00 a pour!

The Oceanaire Restaurant in downtown Indianapolis had a bottle on display. When I inquired as to the price the response was "$90 for a measured two ounce pour." Needless to say I took my business elsewhere.
John B.
jburlowski

Return to Whiskey Review Discussion