Mattingly Moore whiskey/distillery

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Mattingly Moore whiskey/distillery

Unread postby nostalgic signworks » Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:25 pm

I would like any an all information about the Mattingly Moore Whiskey/Distillery. I believe that some of my distant relatives were involved in the distillery. I have a page in my website about J.G Mattingly and Mattingly Moore Whiskey. It has pictures of bottles, old advertisements, and photo's from the Oscar Getz Museum of Whiskey. I have taken information from several sources and combined them. I did the best I could, some information from one book would contradict information from another book. Oh well, that's history from you. Check it out and if you see something I don't have or something you believe is incorrect let me know. After that feel free to browse around and let me know what you think. :roll:
http://www.nostalgic-signworks.com/page91.html
nostalgic signworks

Unread postby bourbonv » Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:05 pm

I have never looked real deep into the Mattingly and Moore distilleries, but it seems to me that Mattingly had a distillery in downtown Louisville that had a fire towards the end of the 19th century or early 20th. You can check the Sanborn Insurance maps to find the location. Louisville Archives has some of the maps that might help, otherwise U of K has a complete set.

Mike Veach
bourbonv

Unread postby tlsmothers » Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:55 am

Tony, here's a pic of the bottle as you requested. I couldn't get it to upload to the forum so I posted it on my website. http://www.lenells.com/gallery/bourbon/DSCN1135

I'm glad you found your way to this forum. I've emailed a few contacts at Heaven Hill that I know and will let you know if I hear anything back from them.
"Drinking just to get drunk is like having sex just to get pregnant." --Robert Hess
tlsmothers

Unread postby nostalgic signworks » Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:26 am

Thank you very much for the picture. I noticed something kind of strange. I states on the bottle that is was bottled by Mattingly Moore Distilling Co. Bardstown Kentucky. (not Heaven Hill)
nostalgic signworks

Unread postby tommy » Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:28 pm

nostalgic signworks wrote:Thank you very much for the picture. I noticed something kind of strange. I states on the bottle that is was bottled by Mattingly Moore Distilling Co. Bardstown Kentucky. (not Heaven Hill)

It's confusing, but lots of distilleries use fictitious names for their various bourbon labels. For instance, Evan Williams (also HH) is probably produced by the "Evan Williams Distilling Co." and so on. There are only a handful of active distilleries, but there are many, many brands out there.
tommy

Unread postby bourbonv » Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:35 pm

Actually the term is "DBA" - Doing Business As. It is a legal fiction where the distillery changes its name on paper to make whiskey as a different distillery. Heaven Hill owns many brands and the bottle the brands from these different distilleries by using DBA paperwork.
Mike Veach
bourbonv

Re: Mattingly Moore whiskey/distillery

Unread postby MauiSon » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:26 pm

I was doing some dusty hunting today and found a small cache of M&M, both the blend and a straight Bourbon (aged 5 years) with tax stamps across the corks. PM if anyone is interested.
MauiSon

Unread postby MauiSon » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:46 am

Okay, I picked up a bottle - my first 'dusty'. Sure, no one has suggested this is gonna be good stuff, but here are the details.

Fake tax stamp, UPC code - 878280, 1 liter, aged 5 years, straight bourbon whiskey, Mattingly & Moore Distilling Co., Lawrenceburg, Indiana, 80 proof. Bottom of bottle indicates 80 [suggesting 1980 bottling date].

I've done a little research, Heaven Hill bought the brand in 1989 from Seagram & Sons, Inc. The bottle was made by Thatcher Manufacturing Co., which closed in 1985 (they had a plant in Lawrenceburg, IN).

My questions - is this glut whiskey? Could it be older than the 5 years indicated? [It has a deep amber color, but I see some sediment on the bottom] Has anyone tried this sort of stuff?
MauiSon

Unread postby EllenJ » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:23 pm

Okay, I'm not completely sure what you mean by "glut" whiskey, since most of what I call "blue-collar bourbon" would qualify for that.
OTOH, American whiskey made before the mid- to late '80s was much more flavorful than today's whiskey. Unless, of course, those are flavors that you don't care for; I'm learning that is more often the case than I used to believe.

Your evaluation of the bottling date appears to be pretty accurate. From the late '70s until the mid-'80s, the bottles often showed both metric and ounces measurements; if yours says only "1 liter" then it's probably later than that. The actual federal tax stamp went away with the Reagan de-regulations, but the "idea" of a tax stamp, to show the bottle was unopened, continued for awhile. By the end of the decade even that was pretty much abandoned, except as a cosmetic device. The UPC code came into use in the middle of the '80s. I doubt it was bottled as early as 1980.

It COULD be "older" than 5 years, in that 5 years is only the required age of the YOUNGEST whiskey in the bottle, and that might be only 10% or so, with older whiskey making up the rest. That's not uncommon for high-grade bourbons, but probably doubtful in the case of M&M, which was targeted to a more everyday workingman market. When you open and taste that bottle, though, prepare to be a little amazed at the richness of flavor you'll get from such a non-uppity brand. They all were that way up until the end of the '80s, and I'm certain that -- assuming you appreciate all those extra flavors -- you'll be delighted with your purchase.

If not, PM me and I'll happily negotiate to see if I can relieve you of that swill.
=JOHN=
(the "Jaye" part of "L 'n' J dot com")
http://www.ellenjaye.com
EllenJ

Unread postby MauiSon » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:51 am

I'm not sure why I haven't cracked the bottle yet - guess I have to raise my open bottle limit to 3. :D The color is comparable to my EC12. Okay, tried it. 'Mild and Mellow' - lives up to it's tag-line from bouquet to finish. I may bunker 1 of these for the novelty only. A touch of dusty oak and spice on the finish, but much less tasty than my other pours to date. First impression - bottom shelf, but nothing offensive.

UPC codes were first used to scan products in 1974. The one on this bottle confirms the manufacturer as Seagram & Son.
MauiSon

Unread postby MauiSon » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:31 pm

I tried this again - HEY, it's not bad at all! Aroma of sherry, sweet entry, cedar finish - I'ma beginning to thaw on this stuff. For sure, it has a 'dusty' taste and is a bit thin, but I found the same dusty finish in new-make Ritt100. I hope they still got another on the shelf for me.
MauiSon

Unread postby Dump Bucket » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:12 pm

THe 86 proof is much better. A good amount of complexity to it. I have a couple and I am glad I found them... I do have the 80 proof to and I do enjoy them for the older style bourbon as you referred.
"What I do I do because I like to do." Alex DeLarge ACWO
Dump Bucket
Bourbon Head
Bourbon Head

Return to Bourbon, Straight