MashBill List

Discuss any bourbon related topics here that do not belong in a forum below.

Moderator: Squire

Re: MashBill List

Unread postby HawthornBev » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:31 pm

it looks like Bulleit's mashbill is 68% corn, 28% rye, 4& Malt. Per Tom himself.
Josh Durr
The Kentucky Bartenders Guild
www.MolecularBartending.com
HawthornBev

Unread postby p_elliott » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:38 am

Your Bernheim mashbill can not be right as it's not bourbon it's wheat whiskey and it's main ingredient would be wheat.
If you don't stand behind our troops then feel free to stand in front of them.
p_elliott

Unread postby HawthornBev » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:38 pm

This is not the mashbill for the release of the Bernheim Whiskey, ( Have no idea what that is aside from being at least 51% Wheat ) Yet the mashbill utilized at the old Bernheim distillery for Old Weller etc.. before it was sold.

The wheated mashbill from there when they were producing Weller, Fitz, RY, etc... was 75% Corn, 20% Wheat 5% Malt. Which is more than likely the mashbill for BTs wheaters if they have not changed it. Checking on this one to confirm. As well as the basis of my confusion that BT had OFitz & RY not realizing that HH bought that label.

I wonder if HH still uses this same mashbill for RY & OFITZ ?

Further on that The Old Charter MB was 86% Corn, 6% Rye, 8% Malt. Which is probably the low rye at BT ?

It like pulling teeth. But I am going to complete this list and get confirmation on at least approximates.
Josh Durr
HawthornBev

Unread postby HawthornBev » Sun May 02, 2010 3:39 pm

Looks like I got the scoop from a insider that the mashbill for Tom Moore is more like ...Tom Moore : 60% Corn, 30% rye, 10% Malt. Interesting that's allot of rye...Which apparently is the same for all of the Barton Brands. Makes me wanted to go back and do some tastings...

As far as the Jim Beam mashbill. Doesn't look like I am going to be able to get a specific relation of percentage here. But I do know from another insider that its something like 70% corn traditional style mashbill for the JB line. The OGD & Basil Hayden is high rye but no specific approximation on how much rye.

For the JB Ryes there are 3 different mashbills apparently One very high in rye, a middle and a lower rye.
JB Rye : Lowest Amount of Rye
Ri1 : Somewhere in the Middle
Old Overholt : Highest Amount of Rye

Prichards is running of the same mashbill as HH for there older product. I wonder what the stuff there distilling now consists of in a mashbill ?

Well it looks as If I have gathered as much information as I am gonna get. ( For now ).

Now on to similar lists for ...

Grain Source / Farms :
Milling Type :
Yeasts Used :
Fermentation Vessel :
Fermentation Length :
Cooking :
Still Type(s) :
First Distillation ABV :
Second/Third Distillation ABV
Barrel Entry Proof :
RickHouse Style & Storage :
Average Age Length :
Filtering :
Bottling ABV :

The goal is to create a spreadsheet with all of this information for as many brands as possible.
Josh Durr
HawthornBev

Unread postby Weller7 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:41 am

Just bought myself a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 and had some for the first time in a long while. I find it unbelievable that it should have less rye than Jim Beam. I wonder.. it's so spicy: if the mashbill is only 13% rye them guys certainly know how to make the rye work!

btw: a very solid drink even worth the price in Denmark (35 dollars)
Weller7

Unread postby cowdery » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:46 am

Booker Noe himself told me on a couple of occasions that the Beam mash bill is 75% corn, 15% rye and 10% malt, and that the Old Grand-Dad mash bill is 60% corn, 30% rye and 10% malt. Beam won't confirm, saying the mash bill is proprietary.

All of the historic Stitzel-Weller bourbons were wheated, whether made at SW until 1992, or at Bernheim from 1992 to 1999. HH bought Old Fitz and Bernheim in 1999 and BT bought Weller. There was whiskey involved in those deals, but you can think of Weller as BT production after 1999, although BT made some wheated bourbon before that. HH supplies Luxco, which makes Rebel Yell. Cabin Still was also a wheated bourbon historically but probably isn't today. I'm confident HH makes one wheated bourbon mash bill, so it's the same for both Fitz and RY.

Ryes typically are 'barely legal' at 51% rye. Those 60% rye claims are probably wrong. Beam does not make two different rye mash bills. Fred Noe confrimed that for me.

Prichard's has made some malt whiskey but has not made any bourbon, at least not that they have sold. They bought bourbon from HH and gave it some additional age. That's the Prichard's product.

Tom Moore supposedly has two bourbon mash bills, one for 1792 and one for everything else. The 1792 mash bill is supposed to be higher in both rye and malt.

Jack Daniels is 80% corn, 8% rye, 12% malt.

Early Times is 79% corn, 11% rye, 10% malt.

If what Tom told you is correct then they've changed the Bulleit mash bill, which was the Four Roses high rye mash bill of 60% corn, 35% rye, 5% Malt.
- Chuck Cowdery

Author of Bourbon, Straight
cowdery

Unread postby delaware_phoenix » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:21 pm

Ryes typically are 'barely legal' at 51% rye.

So Chuck (and Mike V. and others), when do you think that started happening? Irving Hirsch lists lots of variations on rye whiskey recipes that are all much more than that. Do you think that producers started trying to make rye more like bourbon when the former fell out of favor?
Cheryl Lins - Proprietor and distiller, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY
delaware_phoenix

Unread postby cowdery » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:29 pm

That's part of it. Also rye costs about twice as much as corn. Also, at least this is what the distillers say, rye is so flavorful that you can use more rye without necessarily getting more rye flavor.
- Chuck Cowdery

cowdery

Unread postby delaware_phoenix » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:00 am

Yes, I'd agree that rye seems to be about twice the price of corn.

I imagine that it's possible there's some kind of flavor "saturation point" for rye that might not exist for other grains. But my suspicious anti-corporate nature tells me that it might come down to money. If you can charge more for your corn by putting it in your rye whiskey, that sounds good for the bottom line! :evil2:

Do the majors use de-germed corn?
Cheryl Lins - Proprietor and distiller, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY
delaware_phoenix

Unread postby cowdery » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:59 am

dunno.
- Chuck Cowdery

cowdery

Unread postby jburlowski » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:15 am

FWIW, the recently published The World Atlas of Whisky: More Than 350 Expressions Tasted - More Than 150 Distilleries Explored by David Broom has mash bill info on all the major bourbons --- with the exception of BT. It's also a gorgeous and informative reference.
John B.
jburlowski

Previous

Return to Bourbon, Straight