Comments on BlueGrass_BrownWater`s review of Four Roses Sing

Comments and Discussion on Whiskey Reviews found in BE.com's database

Moderator: Squire

Comments on BlueGrass_BrownWater`s review of Four Roses Sing

Unread postby forumadmin » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:00 pm

This is an automatically created topic for discussion about BlueGrass_BrownWater's review of Four Roses Single Barrel (U.S. 2nd Release).
forumadmin
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Unread postby BlueGrass_BrownWater » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:00 pm

First pour was deceptive. After I got deeper into the bottle, it got sweeter and smoother. Very rich vanilla (reminds me of homemade divinity candy, for those who know what i'm talkin bout). Well-balanced spice note mid-run and a much longer finish with very little oak/tannic presence. Way more enjoyable and balanced as I get deeper into the bottle. Lesson learned, everybody. Don't write a review until you really dig in. This is definitely a bourbon that absolutely has to be opened up with some water or ice to really experience what it has to offer. It is very sneaky!
BlueGrass_BrownWater

Re: Comments on BlueGrass_BrownWater`s review of Four Roses

Unread postby Birdo » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:34 pm

I have had good luck with Four Roses Single Barrel. My last bottle I noticed anise (black licorice) which I don't especially like. In fact, it tasted a lot like Bulliet bourbon.
Birdo

Unread postby Mike » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:35 pm

An honest review, always appreciated........... but I could not disagree more. I think the grainly elements add an authentic element that I find very appealing
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Mike

Unread postby BlueGrass_BrownWater » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:21 pm

Hey Mike, I was curious about how others perceived the grass/hay notes in bourbons. I honestly haven't come across that particular note in many common off-the-shelf bourbons so when I found it in Four Roses SB, I was a little surprised and confused. I didn't know if it was a deliberate flavor that is selected for or if something went wrong with this particular barrel. Based on your post and what I have read from other seasoned bourbon drinkers, it seems like it is among the assortment of flavor notes that is sought after. It's interesting but the more I drink this bottle, the more I like the toasted hay.
BlueGrass_BrownWater

Unread postby Mike » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:18 pm

BlueGrass_BrownWater wrote:Hey Mike, I was curious about how others perceived the grass/hay notes in bourbons. I honestly haven't come across that particular note in many common off-the-shelf bourbons so when I found it in Four Roses SB, I was a little surprised and confused. I didn't know if it was a deliberate flavor that is selected for or if something went wrong with this particular barrel. Based on your post and what I have read from other seasoned bourbon drinkers, it seems like it is among the assortment of flavor notes that is sought after. It's interesting but the more I drink this bottle, the more I like the toasted hay.

Bourbon provides so many different flavors (I have great difficulty in describing them). I have found that it is best to be open to what comes before you, and what your palate finds to your liking. It pleases me, not that it matters, or even should matter to you, that you enjoy this bourbon more as you grow accustomed to its flavors, and its rewards.
Mike

Unread postby Squire » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:21 pm

I'll take a four year old Bourbon over a 12 year Scotch any day and I've consumed a helluva lot of Scotch.
Squire

Unread postby devilscut » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:49 am

I agree. Scotch tastes like a band-aid to me!
devilscut

Unread postby Mike » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:35 pm

Squire wrote:I'll take a four year old Bourbon over a 12 year Scotch any day and I've consumed a helluva lot of Scotch.

Like you, Squire, I have consumed a fair amount of Scotch, and still do so from time to time (I have come to prefer Irish Whiskey for a Malt whiskey), and I still keep it on hand and have a sip now and again. But, there is an aggressiveness in Bourbon that challenges the palate in a way that Scotch does not, and I find a satisfaction in that that is lacking in Scotch. I like to say that Bourbon is quintessentially American in character, not so delicate as, say, Cognac, nor as malty or smokey as Scotch.
The first sip of bourbon I ever had, at about 15 years of age, was Old Crow, and I liked it. I also remember my first sip of Wild Turkey, in my early 20s, it was a revelation. The next revelation in my bourbon drinking occurred many years later when I had a sip of Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year old................ I wish I could get my hands on some of that for what I paid for it then.
Mike

Return to Whiskey Review Discussion