Bottled ByHeaven Hill Distilleries, Inc. Bardstown,KY
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content86 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Unknown Duty Free: Unknown Europe: Unknown
Mashbill InfoHeaven Hill
Age6
Views (since 20080612) 66608
Bottling Info<From their website>

Old Whiskey River??? Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey is a handcrafted small batch bourbon made from American corn, barley and rye, grown on family owned and operated farms located within 100 miles of the distillery. Our smooth and rich flavor comes from more than eight generations of experience and dedication that our master distillers, Parker and Craig Beam, pour into every bottle. Handcrafted in small batches, using the naturally purified waters of Kentucky limestone and choice grains from independent family farms, Old Whisky River is aged for six years in new, charred American oak barrels and adheres to the highest Bourbon standards.

Old Whiskey River was made especially for an American original, Willie Nelson. So we wanted to get his input every step of the way. From the brand name to the label and most importantly, what's inside the bottle. We sent samples to him while he was touring on the road to get his thumbs-up on the different batches until we finally came up with a bourbon that he'd put his name on, one that he calls smooth, sweet and mellow. Old Whiskey River vowed to follow the lead that Willie started with Farm Aid, so we always purchase our grains from independently owned family farms. It's only fitting that an American original like Willie Nelson would put his name on Old Whiskey River -- that's why there's an autographed guitar pick on every bottle, and he asked us to be the exclusive sponsor of his concert tour. By following age old whiskey-making traditions and partnering with the one and only, legendary Willie Nelson, Old Whiskey River??? is one of a kind... a true American original.

Review from JR1 (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2374, Created:20170106010328)
Purchased at:OR liquor store
Info on this bottle:as picture
Nose:i did not get leather like other reviewers, I got vanilla, slight smoke, honey, citrus tending to lime.
Taste:Sweet, smooth, much less alcohol bite than I expected or 86 proof
(but I'm over "the wall"), some vanilla and honey, toasted coconut, a little citrus/lime. Good mouth feel - silky. I got no leather, dryness, bitterness or herbs.
Finish:Vanilla, toasted coconut, a little citrus/lime, hint of spice, smooth finish.
Overall:I just finished reading Lew Bryson's book, Tasting Whiskey. It prompted me to open this bottle of OWR that has been in the cabinet for probably over 10 years. - it's my second. bottle. Sounds like I am getting a lot closer to Willie Nelson and Heaven Hill's opinions. I do drink most of my whiskey neat, at room temperature, but occasionally cut with a little water. I like OWR as a good sipping whiskey - mostly on RV trips around the camp fire. I paid around $20 or so for it and I find it to be a excellent value. I am not really into whiskey cocktails (rum or vodka for me), though i might try an OWR whiskey mule with some of my home brewed ginger beer - think it might go well. I am not into Canadian or blended Scotch whiskey and have yet to try Japanese. So Bourbons (including Tennessee), Irish and single malt Scotch are my go to's. I have sampled (and purchased) a few American craft whiskeys - with varied success. Overall I like OWR a lot and it reminds me of JD, which I also like, along with Gentleman Jack. Definitely NOT into the current fad of flavored whiskeys or beers!! It's good we all don't' like the same things - that would be boring, but I hope the above comments give little insight into the way I taste and rate OWR.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Dump Bucket (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1403, Created:20081229191230)
Purchased at:Sparks NV
Purchased for:3.99
Info on this bottle:200 ml
Nose:Sweet and a little leather. There is some sage or eucalyptus. There is a wet oak smell to it that sets the pace for this bourbon. Not a bad nose, but not a premium bourbon. Nothing less than what I expected for $3.99
Taste:Soft, light leather, soft burn with a tingle from same wet oak flavor.
Finish:Light burn and again wet oak. The char finish pops up a little more here, but not a great finish. I think Veach called out a lot of corn husk or corn in the nose, I get more in the finish, but it is there.
Overall:This is a young bourbon that drinks a little younger than the 6 yrs on the label, but if it was this or JB White, I would take this hands down. I wonder what the entry proof is on this bourbon. It must be high because their barrels are not sharing much of the goodness in the oak with this juice.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Kendall (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 863, Created:20071020152627)
Purchased at:Liquor Mart, Richmond, Ky.
Purchased for:30.99
Info on this bottle:same as pictured
Proof Of this Bottle:86
Nose:camp fire
Taste:sweet, sharp, wood
Finish:medium, dry
Overall:a nice drink but overpriced

Review from BourbonSteve (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 456, Created:20060421104634)
Purchased at:Whitlock package
Purchased for:$20
Nose:some lime, tannin, oak
Taste:Medium body with some burn, a bit of pepper, some lime.
Finish:short and sharp, not bad.
Overall:This one surprised me, I only got it as a dare. Not top shelf by any means but not bad. Somewhat smooth, good with Coke not so much neat or on ice. A nice taste.

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 450, Created:20060417151135)
Purchased at:Bourbon's Bistro Bar
Purchased for:7.00
Info on this bottle:Standard Bottle
Proof Of this Bottle:86
Nose:Corn husks and vanilla with a hint of oak and leather.
Taste:Very medicinal - caramel and oak tannins with a little pepper spice.
Finish:Long lasting and very medicinal - not avery good at all.
Overall:dding ice and water helps but not much - try adding lots of coke.

Review from tlsmothers (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 34)
Purchased at:LeNell's
Purchased for:$29.50
Nose:Upon approaching glass from a distance, first impression is burnt wood, sooty. Deeper nosing reveals an alcohol burn, heavy wood, slight smoke. After a few minutes secondary aromas of black walnut and a little burnt caramel emerge. Charcoal dominates. Addition of water tones down charcoal and brings out milder note of vanilla and an odd sort of artificial greenapple Jolly Rancher candy smell.
Taste:First tasting reveals a medium body with hot, sharp alcohol bite that leaves tingly feeling in backside of lips reminiscent of mint. Second pass shows a bit of licorice and anise with a pepper burn. Addition of water mellows the harshness and reveals more refreshing tartness...

Finish:Straight tasting left a bitter, dry, chalky impression. Addition of water left a lingering anise flavor on the finish.
Overall:Not a bourbon for drinking straight up. We tried the cocktails listed on the Old Whiskey Web site (www.oldwhiskeyriver.com). Kentucky Apple Juice (OWR, apple juice, lemon) was a winner. The OWR bite paired well with the acidity and sweetness of the fruit juice. We tried it with cranberry juice (Red Headed Stranger) and with 7Up splashed with orange juice (Silly Willie), but the OWR was lost in these blends.

All professionalism aside, this is overpriced for what it is. Palatable when cut in half with water and workable in a few cocktails, but other bourbons at lesser price points could fit the bill for those needs (EB or WT for example). The web site claims that all grain for OWR comes from independent family farms in support of Willie's Farm Aid principle. Not sure how this differs from other Heaven Hill endeavors. I'm just left wondering why Willie found this to be "smooth, mellow and sweet" out of all the samples that were sent to him for his approval before the OWR bottle was launched. To each his own, I suppose. Maybe this Whiskey River should run dry.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews