Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameWhistlePig Straight Rye Whiskey
TypeStraight Rye Whiskey
Alcohol content100 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Unknown Duty Free: Unknown Europe: Unknown
Mashbill Info100% rye and enzymes added
Age10
Views (since 20080612) 34461
Bottling InfoThis whiskey was made in Canada as a flavoring whiskey for a blend. Dave Pickerell has acquired this whiskey and is bottling this under the WhistlePig Distillery name.

Review from gillmang (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1871, Created:20100906093940, Updated:20100909114141)
Purchased at:New York
Purchased for:$70.00
Nose:Mild with light notes of spice and perfume
Taste:Perfumed is the best way to describe it in a word. I attribute this to the rye. I found the whiskey on the sweet side, which is different to what Mike reported, not sure if this is differing impressions or perhaps the final bottlings differed somewhat from what he tasted.
Finish:More perfume and spice, slight hint of a refined smokiness.
Overall:I thought this was great. It is a more restrained and elegant straight rye than I have ever had, but winsome and appealing for its uniqueness.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1834, Created:20100506095009) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Recieved from bottler
Info on this bottle:sample bottle
Nose:Very clean with a hint of floral tones and sweet spice- nutmeg and clove. Just a hint of rye grass and old leather after it breathes a while.
Taste:Very nice. Dry with some rye grass and wood. followed by some spice and caramel/vanilla. No alcohol burn, but expect a little heat in the throat.
Finish:Long, dry and spicey. The dryness is an oak tannin driness, but not unpleasantly so and and the spices are nutmeg, clove, cinnimon and they compliment the dry oak making the mouth tingle. It is like the "Angels dancing on the tounge" as Marvin would say.
Overall:I think Dave has a winner here. I am not much for cocktails, but I would love to try a manhattan with this whiskey.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews