Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameJefferson's Reserve, Presidential Select
Bottled ByMcLain and Kyne / Castle Brands ,
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content94 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Not Available Duty Free: Not Available Europe: Not Available
Mashbill InfoStitzel Weller
Age17
Views (since 20080612) 38670
Bottling Info

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2094, Created:20120702175905, Updated:20120702194653)
Purchased at:Sigman Bottle Shop, Conyers, GA
Purchased for:$90
Info on this bottle:Batch 3 Bottle 706 - Distilled 1991 from Wheat - 17 Year old SW Bourbon
Nose:Leather and a freshly mown wheat field make a first impression. There is also some caramel, some charred oak, and some dried fruit (apricots?). More time in the glass offers up some baked bread aroma. A bit strange, but not unappealing.
Taste:Soft and sweet, with some richness and barrel flavors such as vanilla and caramel. The oak is properly subdued with little of the tannic dryness. There is also a slight legacy of the wheat grain that adds nicely to the subtlety.
Finish:A short to medium length finish wherein the flavors die a bit more rapidly than is optimal......... but the finish is perfectly acceptable.
Overall:Excellent whiskey that falls just short of superb in my opinion.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1866, Created:20100829142321)
Purchased at:
Info on this bottle:Batch 3, bottle 689
Nose:Excellent vanilla, oak, caramel, lether, and what I would call aromas of grain. Very nice and promising nose, except for an off-note that I cannot put my finger upon............something like a green vegatable juice???........not really bad, but strange. Still, the nose makes some substantial promises.
Taste:Nice upfront sweetness followed by some pepper at mid-palate. The sweetness has enough richness to last across the mouth and into the back of the mouth. Not as dry nor as woody as was my expectation from its 17 years in the barrel. Much better to my palate this time than last, worthy of the Stitzel Weller name.
Finish:Moderately long, holding the creaminess amidst the very nice oak background.
Overall:Excellent and very enjoyable whiskey this time around. I do not recall the exact circumstances of my last review on this bourbon ten months ago, but I suspect that I did not come to it with a clean palate as I did this time. It will not lie any longer with the seldom used bourbons. Wonder if the price has gone down on this as I know 'my' bourbon store still has some. I confess I missed the boat on this one in my original review. May not be Pappy 20, but ain't too far off.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1750, Created:20091110181239, Updated:20091110194638)
Purchased at:Sigman Bottle Shop, Conyers, GA
Purchased for:$89
Info on this bottle:Batch 3 Bottle 689 17 YO (wheat bourbon aged in SW Barrels ????)
Nose:Soft in the manner of wheat bourbons, vanilla, caramel, maple syrup, certainly enticing, but not overtly complex.
Taste:Rich, but not viscous, sweetness that keeps its richness across the palate. Nothing really attention grabbing in the way of complexity or delicacy.
Finish:Short
Overall:This is a 'nice' bourbon, but it is not the equal of the least of the Van Winkle bourbons, in my opinion. They are richer, more complex, and more interesting. This might not be any better than Maker's Mark and has the same shortcoming.........a short finish. A rip off for which someone SHOULD be ashamed! I am so disappointed! Old Weller Antique (107 proof) is much better at 1/4 the cost if you can still find some. I have not tried the new No Age Statement Old Weller so cannot speak to its value.

Review from Dump Bucket (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1695, Created:20090919205350, Updated:20090920174812)
Purchased at:
Info on this bottle:17yr JPS Batch 6 - SW Juice
Nose:The SW nose is there with some butter, but there is oak that is usually missing in this one. It is still creamy, but I can tell it is the end run of the SW line. There are a few off scents, but nothing that is bad, just not clean butter, sugar and cream like SW in the prime.
Taste:HMMMM, it is SW for sure, little burn with the sweet, little oak and some of the famous butter, but not long before the oak and some cinnamon appear. There are some touches of fruit on the second sip now that the finish has made them stand out??? was not sure to begin with. Almost like candied pears. very nice.
Finish:Sweet then oak, dry oak and some fruit. Not sure I remember fruit from the other SW I have had, but this is pears and some like nectarine or peach (ripe and sweet).

I would say the finish is in the 45-60 range, but the flavors are more / less gone by 30 and the tingle and dryness stick around for a good extra 30 plus.
Overall:This is an interesting and temperamental juice. Keep away from crystal. You get a bite that is not there in glass glencairns??? I have a bottle of batch 1 and 6, but the taste of 6 is enough for now. I like it, and if I did not have a nice stock of SW already, I would probably buy a few, but it is hard to kick out $80-100 on this???

Overall good, not great, but worth having a bottle or two if you just love spending bigger $$$ on bourbon

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews