Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameOld Fitzgerald 1849
Bottled ByStitzel Weller Shively,Ky
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content90 Proof
Availability US: No Longer Available Japan: Not Available Duty Free: Not Available Europe: Not Available
Mashbill Infowheated
Age8
Views (since 20080612) 15177
Bottling Info

Review from Don Galligan (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1737, Created:20091028131341, Updated:20091028174404)
Purchased at:Gift from Mike in Conyers GA
Purchased for:Gifts are free!
Info on this bottle:8yr
Proof Of this Bottle:90
Nose:The nose on this whiskey is subtle and refined. It smells sweet like dark fruit and some leather. I loved the nose on this bourbon so much I had my wife sniff it. She loved it too, and she hates alcohol. She actually took a sip and said she LIKED IT! Hide the Bottle!
Taste:The flavor is a refined wheater. It starts out sweet on the palate with flavors of caramel and dark berries, then subtly changes to light oak and leather before the long and understated finish.
Finish:This is great juice! It is long and muted wheat finish. Very full and satisfying, yet subtle and refined!
Overall:WOW! Thanks Mike! Thank you for taking pity on a stranger from Idaho that cannot get this amazing bourbon in his local stores. All I can say is find some and buy it, and drink it, and do it again! If it was available it would be a regular pour for me!

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from bunghole (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1600, Created:20090608133031, Updated:20091028174337) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Gift from Mike of Georgia
Purchased for:Brotherhood.
Info on this bottle:Distilled and Aged Expressly for Connoisseurs of Fine Bourbon 8yr
Nose:The color is a nicely deep amber that shows off it's eight years of age. Viscosity in the glass is oily and coating. Swirling the bourbon in the glass reveals thick sheeting action with slowly descending legs.

The nose is subtile, and whispers wheat. Well balanced aromas of light oak; butterscotch, vanila, some toffe. there is also something both nutty and candy like in back, and I am thinking pralines.
Taste:Rainwater soft mouthfeel. Candy tones turn a bit tart. Toffe and pecans up front. Oak turns up a notch while vanila brings up the rear. Butterscotch must be getting laid in the dressing room backstage, as she is curiously missing from the flavor stage.
Finish:Pleasent slowly drying oaken decay of goodly duration. Nuts and nougat dance a minuet together at the back of the throat. A little leather right at the end. Must be the dancer's toe shoes.
Overall:Spring 1857 - A horse drawn carriage ride on the Louisville riverfront in the evening on the way to dinner. Later on take in a show at the theater. Your driver delivers a large bouquet of white roses, as you slip in through the backstage door. Miss Butterscotch takes you eagerly in a hot lover's embrace. Encore.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 974, Created:20080109143341, Updated:20090517203346)
Purchased at:I bought the last four bottles at Sigman Bottle Shop, Conyers, GA
Purchased for:$15
Info on this bottle:8 YO
Nose:A soft and pleasing nose with lots of nuts and toffee and maple syrup. Very seductive and warm. I love it!
Taste:Mildly sweet, but quite viscous. The follow-on is also subdued and soft and there is only a bit of spice to warm the back of the mouth, but enought to make it interesting when the alcohol throws in its say.
Finish:A short to moderate finish so often characteristic of wheat bourbons. But not bad by any means.
Overall:I really liked this bourbon the first time I had it and I still do. It goes down about as easily as any bourbon I know. Great for the back porch contemplative mood that old men like me like to indulge in from time to time. Glad I have another bottle or two to think about.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 716, Created:20070212101633, Updated:20090517203444)
Purchased at:Sigman Bottle Shop, Conyers, GA
Purchased for:$15
Info on this bottle:8 Year Old
Nose:Thick and sweet nose moderated with a bit of oak, leather, and nuts. A standout.
Taste:Kind of an old fashioned real cream corn richness and sweetness with the additional bonus of some oak, cinnamon, and butterscotch. A rich tasting and creamy bourbon that, on certain days (those when you say I think I want a rich bourbon on the sweet side today) will make you glad this is in your liquor cabinet.
Finish:A moderate finish with a bit of cinnamon spice that will have you imitating a cat.......your little satisfaction motor will be purring
Overall:I was born in 1849 so, naturally I identify with this bourbon. I am going to get the mule out of the barn, saddle him (name is Leroy) and ride him over yonder to 'my' liquor store and see do they got any more of this. My dog 'Barleycorn' loves 1849 and said, as we shared a sip, 'You know, Mike (damn dog has taken to calling me 'Mike' in place of 'master' lately and it pisses me off a bit), this is some good shit.' Is using the word 'shit' cussing? I have wondered if I was cussing since I was about 4 years old and started to use the word 'shit' regularly. I went through a period when I was sure it was, was proud of it, and used it about every third word. But cussing has little attraction to me now so I ain't so sure.

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 67)
Purchased at:Given to me by the company ca 1994
Info on this bottle:Stitzel-Weller Wheat recipe bourbon
Nose:Sweet toffee and oak. Vanilla and a hint of chocolate
Taste:Candy corn with strong vanilla at first with no alcohol burn at all. Full bodied, but not oily.
Finish:Long and pleasant. It starts with a carmel sweetness but ends with just a hint of wood and dryness from the oak.
Overall:This is a bourbon that can be appropriate for any time. Before dinner it cleanses the palate and after dinner it gives a lingering carmel sweetness that goes well with chocolate.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews