Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameOld Crow
Bottled ByOld Crow Frankfort,Ky
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content86 Proof
Availability US: No Longer Available Japan: Not Available Duty Free: Not Available Europe: Not Available
Mashbill InfoNational Distillers
Age4
Views (since 20080612) 17075
Bottling Info

Review from dickelfanaustralia (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2079, Created:20120604075948, Updated:20121215041549)
Purchased at:
Info on this bottle:2015e-1
Nose:Dough, Corn Field, sweet hints like maple, vanilla, wood powder, menthol.
Taste:like cooking batter, bitter/sweet note. Mixed it has a thick corn sweetness that seems like cooking dough. No Burn or Roughness drinking straight.
Finish:little spice notes. very soft all like cooking batter the whole way. Not much body.
Overall:It's like cooking batter. These old bottles are like a homemade candy and bakery store. There very light. I've had the new old crow beam in a can and it's a bit awfull and rotton except there's a huge fat malt back palate and there's very little oak.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from drinkdrankdrunk (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1679, Created:20090910183507, Updated:20090911111258) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Forest Red's Dallas
Purchased for:$15 Liter
Info on this bottle:1987 Frankfort, Clermont Nat'l Distillers faux strip
Nose:Corny, some butterscotch and maple. A nice bouquet. Rich and full of life. Light alcohol.
Taste:Light bourbon, light on the mouthfeel and taste. No alcohol burn, watered down. Corn and Faint spice like brown sugar & rye. Almost tastes musty. First bourbon I've had that tasted old, like dust. What's that about FLORAL Jeff? This one has Flower Power!
Finish:Dry finish, corn and rye short on the front of the tongue. Never trickles back.
Overall:Light, but with enough flavor to keep you interested. I'm on the fence whether I would mix this one. I guess the fact that it's the last year ND owned this brand makes me want to savor it, but it's just not that good. Although the more I sip the better it gets. I'll have to get back to you on this one. A very different bourbon than I'm used to.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Dump Bucket (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1514, Created:20090307184846, Updated:20090517194230)
Purchased at:Trade of 50 ml
Purchased for:50 ml of the 86/10
Info on this bottle:Fall 50-Fall 55
Nose:First scent smelled like the 86/10yr I have, but then something else came up. I am having a little trouble identifying it. I think it is corn and rye, but they are both very mellow in the nose. Leather, I get leather like that of a pair f work gloves (those grey ones from Stanley) and then some sweetness. Definitely younger than the 10 yr. 86 proof stuff.
Taste:Very smooth??? surprisingly smooth for a BIB. There is the leather from the gloves (like when you put the glove in your month to pull it off) and some sweet corn with touches of vanilla. No oak to speak of either.
Finish:Leather, sweet corn, and a little rye. The finish stays very mellow over a 30 second period of time and the alc just kind of stays low. I do not recall any alc in the 86 proof, so the bourbon must just work great with alc masking any negative tastes or smells.
Overall:This has nothing on the 86/10yr. Much less complexity and mouth feel. The youth is the only thing that could be hurting it. It is a good bourbon, but I would keep the 86/10 over this any day. Now I need to find a 10 yr BIB. I will say this goes down very easy so at 100 proof, this could hurt you in a hurry.

Review from Dump Bucket (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1476, Created:20090209002251, Updated:20091016103441)
Purchased at:50mls from Tony's Old Crow decanter
Proof Of this Bottle:80
Nose:Light oak and some cork. Much lighter than the 10 yr from years past. The butter and the depth is there, but I can tell the cream will be short.
Taste:Lots of cork. Even more than the ones from 68. Very surprising

I can tell this use to be very pleasant, but it is definitely lighter by far than the pseudo 10 yr I have and the depth is an allusion in the nose only
Finish:Sweat vanilla and then dry and wood. There is a tannic tingle that takes over and crushes most everything through 20-25 seconds. Some of the original quality pops back up around 35 seconds???.
Overall:Very glad I got to try it, but it is a shadow of its former self??? It is not perfect, but I can tell how good it use to be.

Review from spun_cookie (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1323, Created:20081019224613, Updated:20090517194323)
Purchased at:ebay
Purchased for:$30
Info on this bottle:This is the Old Crow Chess Set. Vintage 1968
Proof Of this Bottle:86
Nose:Here is what I pulled out of thiis gem:

* Pine
* Douglas Fir fresh cut long board with a little blade burn
* Smoke
* Black Pepper
* Cinnamon
* Leather
* White Pepper
* Apple (Fuji Apples)
* Berries (raspberry)
* Cherry Citrus (cherry candy ??? Starbursts)
* Caramel
* Milk Chocolate (Dove)
* Vanilla
* Sweat Tarts (citrus and sugar)
* Lilacs

Wonderfully complex nose that is very appealing
Taste:The taste skips past many of the scents above and gets to the good stuff:

* Cherry
* Butter
* Milk Chocolate (smooth Dove with all that cream)
* Maple syrup
* Toffee
* Vanilla

Just graet rolling around in your mouth.
Finish:The Finish echos the taste with just a Very Light Oak that fits perfectly into this bourbon. There is also a light amout of coffee that just sings well with this about 30 seconds into teh finish... with cream A classic cup of mud
Overall:This bourbon looks nothing like the picture above. It is a good amber to amber brown.

This a great bourbon. Very complex nose that gives you a world of scents when you stick your noz on in there and give it a whiff.

Just appealing in everyway screaming for you to take a sip.

Then you do. Tthe rush of full rich butter and vanilla are great. If I only had the taste to go off of I would say 50/60s Old Fitz without the corn.

The finish is a mirror of the taste with just a subtle touch of oak that is in perfect harmony with the other flavors.

The funny thing is, there is more depth in this than the Old Fitz BIBs that I had a couple days ago.

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1266, Created:20080901151227, Updated:20091016103558) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Sample sent by scratchline from his bottle
Info on this bottle:Pre-prohibition in a whicker covered bottle, ca. 1900
Nose:Sweet caramel and oak with a hint of leather nad sweet spices like clove.
Taste:Rich caramel and what I think John lipman describes as "Old Whiskey taste". It is slightly fruity with fine leather and tobacco followed by sweet spices, definitely clove and maybe a little cinnamon.
Finish:Very nice with sweet fruit, caramel and spices playing tag team in the mouth. Just when one starts to go away another comes in until a little oak wood comes up and finishes the match.
Overall:This is very good whiskey. I suspect the fill level was down and the alcohol content lower due to evaporation, but I suspect this started life as about a 90 proof product in the 1890's

Review from MikeK (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 532, Created:20060705162802, Updated:20090517201133)
Purchased at:Quincy MA
Purchased for:$30
Info on this bottle:Decanter from the late 1960's, 10yo bourbon
Proof Of this Bottle:86
Nose:A huge nose that fills the room. Seriously, no exaggeration. Strong aromas of sherry and fudge. Oak, coconut, mint, and gingerbread.
Taste:A heavy sweet flavor that fills the mouth nicely. Chocolate toffee, thick caramel syrup, oak. Buttery caramel on the tongue.
Finish:Medium length finish. Subtle hints of chewy chocolate fudge and mint.
Overall:Beam has strung out the existence of the venerable Old Crow like a voodoo priestess raising a zombie. This once great label is doomed to a horrid and wretched existence for the amusement of its new master.

I felt the need to review a bottle of Old Crow from the old days lest we forget what it once was. I was fortunate to come across a few decanters that had been standing sentry on the same liquor store shelf for the last 35 years. While some of them had spoiled, two were pristine. This bourbon is magnificent. It is unbelievably rich with chocolate fudge and caramel. I have never tasted anything like it.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews