Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameOld Grand Dad
Bottled ByOld Grand Dad Frankfort,Ky
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content114 Proof
Availability US: Not Available Japan: Not Available Duty Free: Not Available Europe: Not Available
Mashbill InfoHigh rye, Barrel Proof
Age0
Views (since 20080612) 16421
Bottling InfoDSP-14
Old Grand Dad Distillery, Frankfort, Ky.
Facility is now owned by Beam and is used for warehousing and bottling.

Review from JLH3 (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2162, Created:20130306224722)
Purchased at:Total Wine
Purchased for:$24.99
Nose:Hot. Alcohol. Slight orange. Rye. Spices. Maybe vanilla.
Taste:Rye upfront. Some heat. I read one review said potpourri...I can taste that. Some more orange and citrus. Sweet and thick yet dries up quickly in the mouth.
Finish:Stays with you and tingles the lips. Leaves some heat, but not ovepowering. Some char & oak too.
Overall:Wow. This is some good stuff. My mainstays have been Weller 12 and 4RSmB...gonna have to make room for this on a regular basis. I wasn't that impressed with OGD BiB, but, as the old Texas rancher who let me hunt his property this year said, "This is good sippin' liquor."

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Victor28 (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1862, Created:20100823142809, Updated:20100823143044)
Purchased at:Montgomery County Maryland
Purchased for:$ 21
Info on this bottle:Lot # 1
Nose:Deep rich mellow vanilla with spice
Taste:Big flavor which comes on strong with rye spiciness, a lot of wood/vanilla flavor, and high test alcohol punch when consumed straight, which I prefer.
Finish:Lengthy finish with a lot of wood/maple flavor. There is also some vanilla and a hint of citrus.
Overall:This bourbon makes a big taste statement with a high alcohol punch. If you like high rye bourbons and high proof, which I do, then you will probably like this. This is one of my five preferred bourbons, and a tremendous bargain at its price point of $ 20-30.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Big Montana (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1832, Created:20100501202927) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Montgomery County, MD
Purchased for:$21.00
Info on this bottle:Lot Number 1
Nose:[Smells wheaty similar to Booker Noe and Rebel Yell.
Yeah, I know two totally different liquids but it was my first impression.
Taste:Taste is not what I thought for a 20 dollar bottle. It goes down smooth while sipping. There are the tastes of wood, maple and kind of nutty.
Finish:On the rocks, a very, very smooth finish with spice on the tongue. Peppery after taste?
Overall:For a 51 year old bourbon drinker that puts it away on a rgular basis....this might be my dailt bourbon.
Thoughts? I'd love to read other posts about my post as I am new to this blog.

Review from Dump Bucket (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1587, Created:20090525195718, Updated:20090608230121)
Purchased at:Log Cabin Liquor
Purchased for:$25
Info on this bottle:1980 original 114
Nose:Creamy. Not current and you can tell is is ND right of the bat,

Light spice with plenty of vanilla, cream and other candy shop items not found in the current 114. The spice in this is just perfectly balanced with the candy sweetness
Taste:A perfect echo of the nose with a light, very light burn for being 114 proof.

Spice here is much like that of the new Handy Ryes, but less dominant. The edges of the spice rolls of for a more pleasant taste.
Finish:More spice here than anywhere else, but just a nice touch that strengthesns with time out to about 45 seconds. The finish lasts about 75-90 seconds in total.
Overall:I believe this is the original OGD 114 and I can see why it has been so popular over the years.

Review from bourbonguyjapan (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1202, Created:20080722032402, Updated:20090517205658)
Purchased at:recieved from friend
Purchased for:my soul
Info on this bottle:Tax stamp and standard
Proof Of this Bottle:114
Nose:Caramel, vanilla.
Taste:A little dry wood taste, followed by caramel and maybe that spicey rye taste bourbons have. A little nostalgia too! Not that I would know, but if I had to guess I would say it tastes nostalgic.
Finish:Dry wood into a dissipating sweet taste.
Overall:I'm really impressed with this one. I can purchase the newer version (which wasn't remotely as good as this) and I think I have seen the older version for double the price of what the newer one costs. Damn fine bourbon! Thank you Bourbon-Trading Piezo in the SW!

Review from spun_cookie (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1143, Created:20080614022019, Updated:20090517205829)
Purchased at:
Info on this bottle:Tax stamp from 1980-81
Proof Of this Bottle:114
Nose:Rich in maple, vanilla, spice and rye/citrus
Taste:There is some white pepper here.. and caramel and maple... with a tough of light citrus
Finish:Vanilla, rye, maple and ever so soft citrus...
Overall:WOW, an OGD114 that I like. This is very good. I left the bottle at the Gilberts for my share of the house pours. Looking forward to going back to have some more :o)

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews