Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameOld Grand Dad
Bottled ByOld Grand Dad Frankfort,Ky
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content86 Proof
Availability US: No Longer Available Japan: Not Available Duty Free: Not Available Europe: Not Available
Mashbill InfoHigh rye
Age8
Views (since 20080612) 25796
Bottling InfoDSP-14
Old Grand Dad Distillery, Frankfort, Ky.
Facility is now owned by Beam and is used for warehousing and bottling.

Review from Wasatch (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2248, Created:20130923173404)
Purchased at:Liquorrama On-line
Purchased for:$13.99
Nose:Nice dark golden amber color.

Very nice vanilla note, caramel, honey, some oaky scent, spicy.
Taste:Nice oak note, sweet touch of vanilla, caramel, with some spicy notes.
Finish:A nice medium finish, slightly dry. A very smooth bourbon.
Overall:A nice bourbon for the price, but would not buy again.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from dickelfanaustralia (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2108, Created:20120820015002, Updated:20130205074523)
Purchased at:
Info on this bottle:CINCINNATI, OHIO. 50ML1385A-1
Nose:Old Fashion orange rock candy, violet flowers, airy, clean.
Taste:Wraps around tongue. Old Fashion Orange Rock candy. Not Sweet. Savory. Earthy like Thyme. Clean and Damp. Back Palate has mouth filling loads of soft barrel char like Pie Pasty. Then this chewed up jelly bean quality. No raw alcohol sting or taste.
Finish:Cooling Menthol sits at tonsils like a candle. Drying Thyme flavor and pasty note reminds in the throat. Orange Citrus in mouth and Zapping all over your checks.
Overall:Got an old full bottle Decanter (11-8445. 09364 75). Let down. Flat and very alcoholic that overwhelmed flavor. I have more vintage miniatures ordered.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from whiskeybreath (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1953, Created:20110406234717)
Purchased at:Lillie's Package Liquor Store
Purchased for:$11@ liter. Only one she had.
Info on this bottle:1 liter, red tax stamp,barcode, no warning.
Nose:Makes my mouth water while smelling it. Smells ike roasted corn ear. Some pepper in there too.
Taste:Warm pecan pie. A little char and sogrum there too. I want to pour this over my breakfast biscuits! Leaves a smothered in butter sweet potato taste in my mouth. I'd better have another shot, just so I can confirm this.
Finish:Perfecto! Just enough bite to let you know you are drinking bourbon, without it being a burn. A fairly long finish for a 86 proofer.
Overall:I have always favored 90 proof on up. Seldom ever drank 86 or less back in my younger days {unless it was Old Taylor}. Boy was I missing out. This juice is GREAT. This is perfect for drinking straight. To be sipped out of a brandy glass for the best experience. WHY CAN'T THEY MAKE WHISKEY LIKE THIS ANYMORE? As usual, National Distillers curls her toes!

Review from gillmang (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1731, Created:20091018183249, Updated:20091019150408) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:In the Mission area, San Francisco
Purchased for:$17.00
Info on this bottle:National Distillers, stamped '78 on underside, a fifth, NAS
Proof Of this Bottle:86
Nose:Caramel, vanilla, spice and wood. Hard to know how many years the bourbon was aged, I'd say about 10 years judging by color and taste.
Taste:Sweet and rounded, creamy, with flavours much like the nose. See tnbourbon's (Tim S.) comments below on a 1957-distilled OG - mine is virtually the same down to and including the orange notes.
Finish:A lingering finish in which the wood (tannins) seems to come out more but the wood is not harsh as one sometimes encounters in current bourbons.
Overall:Tops of course, classic old-style bourbon from the long defunct National Distillers. Really a different animal from the current OG, in my opinion. In the current range, I like the 114 the best, I think it best expresses the merits of Beam-distilled OG.

Review from Dump Bucket (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1443, Created:20090124201711, Updated:20090517205536)
Purchased at:Tucson - Dive liquor store
Purchased for:$30
Info on this bottle:1971-1978 Handle
Nose:A little rye, some earth and wood. This is a different nose. Lots lower level spice and leathers. I almost smell shoe polish in this, but is a good way.
Taste:Sweet first, nice earth and light sweet wood. There are some spices and in about 15 seconds some of that leather and polish comes forward.
Finish:Spice, leather and earth. The sweet is there thought out and this a nice and long finish. These is so much in this one, its going to take a long while pulling this one apart.
Overall:This makes me a OGD fan. I love this stuff. Really good. I am very glad I found this puppy.

The Classic ND taste is there (same back plane in the Old Crow I have), but it is different. More earth and wood shop than the candy store. The sweet on this bourbon is just right for the earth. I want to say that the Old Crow and the OGD are opposites of one another. Both are great???

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews