Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameAncient Age
Bottled ByAncient Age Distilling Co. Frankfort,KY
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content86 Proof
Availability US: No Longer Available Japan: Not Available Duty Free: Not Available Europe: Not Available
Mashbill InfoBT high rye
Age0
Views (since 20080612) 11359
Bottling Info

Review from Dump Bucket (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1788, Created:20100108193322)
Purchased at:Give From Joe
Purchased for:The price of friendship
Info on this bottle:1967
Nose:Butterscotch and touches of distilled cane sugar (rum), earth or more like wetted wood or wood shavings, almost like wet newspaper, aged leather,
Taste:Its AA for sure??? great AA with that earth tone followed up by a cane or cooked sugar note. The second sip brings in come cream almost like heavy cream and dark sugar right be for boil. There are some SW features to this
Finish:Touches of butterscotch mixed with the leather, wet oak/wood shavings and then some of the SW style burnt butter like quality(sugar butter in a pan). There is an initial drop off at about 15 seconds that is followed by a second leg that is typical AA tones of leather and wood.
Overall:What a nice bourbon. Than you Fishnbowljoe??? I really dig this juice. I have a couple handles from the later 70s that are not quite this good, but in the same vein???

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Dump Bucket (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1422, Created:20090111133916, Updated:20090608222508)
Purchased at:CA area
Purchased for:$20ish
Info on this bottle:No age statment, but early 80s Handle of AA
Proof Of this Bottle:86
Nose:Very full for an 86 proof. These older 86 proof bourbons are just great. It has the AA nose to it, but a deeper and creamier version of what you get today. I would say it is like the AAA on steroids. Vanilla, citrus, rye and corn, soft liquorish tomnes (in a good way ??? I am not a liquorish fan),. Almost like a good and plenty characteristic to it with some soft earth tones.
Taste:Vanilla, light citrus that grows to a little corn and rye with vanilla and earth tones. There is even a very light burn that adds to this beauty.
Finish:Opens with earth and citrus growing into some light vanilla and florals.

Finish lasts around 45 seconds and it very pleasant. A good go to pout
Overall:I am very glad I grabbed these in LA. I almost always pass up AA, but I had nto had the 86 proof and thought I remember someone saying good things.. so I ended up with two handles from the early 80s. If you see one, pick it and enjoy it. It is not a Van Winkle, but at $20 for a handle, it is one hell of a bourbon value.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from gillmang (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 186)
Purchased at:Tim Sousley bought this at a Tennesse store with old stock and kindly gave me some at Sampler just past
Info on this bottle:Red Strip Stamp, late 1960's ( a '67 is stamped on underneath of glass base)
Proof Of this Bottle:86
Nose:Heavy and full, rum-like, like a good amber rum from Barbados or Jamaica with scents of burned and unburned oak, slight musk (camphor, perhaps) in a good way
Taste:Body is heavy and rich with all the flavors of the nose, sweetish with corn, rum-like again with those older wood flavors
Finish:Musk, caramel, alcohol, smoke all underpinned by a solid oak edge; whiskey!
Overall:Very high quality. In my view it trumps the 1993 bonded Ancient Age we tasted it with which is lighter all round although well-flavored with a buttery butterscotch note the elder brother doesn't have. I can't really see a connection between either of these AA's and any AA or other product of Buffalo Trace today. The current whiskeys seem (in their various ways) to have evolved from the norm of 30 years ago. I'll post a separate note on Tim's late 1970's Triple A shortly.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews