Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameOld Fitzgerald Prime
Bottled ByStitzel Weller Shively,Ky
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content86 Proof
Availability US: No Longer Available Japan: Not Available Duty Free: Not Available Europe: Not Available
Mashbill InfoWheated bourbon
Age0
Views (since 20080612) 14175
Bottling Info

Review from whiskeybreath (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1931, Created:20110226154336)
Purchased at:Lillie's Package Liquors
Purchased for:$11
Info on this bottle:1960 or 70s
Nose:Floral, but mildly so
Taste:Sweet. Has a honey quality to it.
Finish:Medium. Makes a big first impression, them bows out
Overall:I like this Old Fitz Prime as a mixer to drinking it straight. That is not a strike against it, just that I perfer others for that.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Dump Bucket (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1538, Created:20090416180545, Updated:20090517202755)
Purchased at:DC area
Purchased for:$15 I think
Info on this bottle:1 Quart, 7 yr from 1977
Nose:Cream Brule, soft citrus tones with heavy vanilla, maple and old fashion caramel. I am not sure I can adequately describe how great this nose is. It is like walking into a old style fudge factory with the complexity of confections.
Taste:Smoooooooooooooth, creamy, rich and complex. There is so much there is this great drink, it is easy to say this is my top bourbon.
Finish:Everything the nose and taste promised. The burn is minimal, but slightly noticeable in the back of the pallet. Your mouth is just left with the feelings of the old style fudge factory with mile, dark and vanilla fudge all showing up over the long, long finish.
Overall:This is not second class bourbon. This is top rate. Full, rich, complex and unbelievable. This is the first bourbon my wife ever wanted me to pour a second glass of.

Hands down my favorite bourbon at this time and I have had a couple bourbons t chose from at this point.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1135, Created:20080613185655, Updated:20090517202522)
Purchased at:Estate sale
Purchased for:$30.00
Info on this bottle:1976 decanter of Stitzel-Weller bourbon
Nose:Ripe fruit - Apples and very ripe apricots - and caramel/vanilla with a hint of pecans and oak wood.
Taste:Very creamy with ripe fruit - apples and pears with some apricot, creme brule' caramel and vanilla and hazelnuts. This flavor would rivel any cognac and put lesser brandies to shame.
Finish:Long, sweet and lingering with caramel and oak wood. The vanilla sweetness comes out in the end and you feel like you just had a very good ice cream sundae.
Overall:Damn, I wish they still made them like this. I could learn to live off this bourbon. At six years of age, this bourbon is better than many that are ten years old.

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 78)
Purchased at:Liquor store near Elkton Maryland
Info on this bottle:Bottled in 1983 complete with tax stamp and Maryland tax stamp
Proof Of this Bottle:80
Nose:Vanilla and oak in perfect harmony. Somewhere in the back is some sweet corn.
Taste:Smooth and simple, not complex at all. No alcohol burn or heat at all. Vanilla sweetness with a little tannic oak.
Finish:Dry oak softened by a little honey sweetness. Not a long finish, but long enough to let the drinker know that they had just had some good bourbon.
Overall:This is one of those export bottles that was sent out of state at 80 proof. In Kentucky the proof would have been 86 and the flavor a bit more complex. Even at the lower proof it makes a very good drink and would mix well with a soft drink or as an old fashioned cocktail.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews