Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameOld Grand Dad
Bottled ByJames B. Beam Distilling Co. Clermont,KY
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content86 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Not Available Duty Free: Not Available Europe: Not Available
Mashbill InfoHigh rye
Age4
Views (since 20080612) 14034
Bottling Info

Review from dickelfanaustralia (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2075, Created:20120514134904)
Purchased at:
Info on this bottle:old grandad distillary company.
Nose:orange homemade rock candy, violet perfume, calm, breathy.
Taste:orange rock candy, wet hey, slow drying heat. it not rich. very clean. back palate is were it all goes on. lengthy earthy thyme herb, a slight grain quality like chewed up jelly bean bits. hints of menthol, bitter sourness. a spec of yeast and pastry (maybe the bigger proof one have more of this?). Mixing it with ginger ale makes the orange candy more intense sweat.
Finish:clean, slow dry heat, gritty chewed up jelly bean. It also keeps zapping on the tongue.
Overall:My 1st OGD. I am impressed how Flawless it is from entry to finish. And nothing dominates. It not too heavy too. I would describe OGD like a savory earthy jellybean with a slight orange sweetness and an excellent oak and grain balance.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from BuffaloBill (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1346, Created:20081109120535, Updated:20090517204406)
Purchased at:MA
Purchased for:$7 - 375ml
Info on this bottle:Old Grand Dad 86 Proof
Nose:Straw, allspice, oak, corn, and a slight clove. Vanilla and oak are predominant along with rye. Bright and spicy.
Taste:Fresh cut hay, straw-like vanilla, medium viscosity, cleansing to the palette, with a firm burn. There are some good residual sugars bring this bourbon.
Finish:Quick and clean with lingering dry heat to 90 seconds.
Overall:I'm more fond of this standard 86 Proof version than the BIB. It tends to be better balanced and more flavorful, yet not quite as complex citrus-wise. A good value... recommended to any newcomer. BB

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from spun_cookie (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 954, Created:20071224182105, Updated:20090517204517) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Carnival cruise ship
Purchased for:$5.25
Proof Of this Bottle:86
Nose:Unimpressive. Some fruit, but nothing t write home about
Taste:Less than the nose.
Finish:Short, pungent, did not make me happy....
Overall:There is a god chance this sat for a while on the ship, but now that I have had it, I probably will not try it again. Not much selection on the ship..

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 433, Created:20060318084450, Updated:20090608225057)
Purchased at:Bourbon's Bistro Bar
Purchased for:6.00
Info on this bottle:Standard Bottle
Proof Of this Bottle:86
Nose:Citrus fruit and vanilla with cinnamon and pepper spices.
Taste:Citrus fruit and pepper spice with a little oak.
Finish:Short but sweet with caramel and oak - well balanced finish.
Overall:Very good neat or in a cocktail.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews