Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameEagle Rare 101
Bottled BySeagram ,
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content101 Proof
Availability US: No Longer Available Japan: Not Available Duty Free: Not Available Europe: Not Available
Mashbill InfoHigh rye mashbill from distillery now called Four Roses
Age10
Views (since 20080612) 9537
Bottling InfoLast bottled in 1989 by Seagram

Review from Dump Bucket (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1638, Created:20090725214844) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:50 ml from Fenwick
Nose:Ooooooooooo baby??? This is great smelling juice. Like 02/03 stagg, but no burn in the nose. Creamy and potent candy shop touches here. Dark fudge with nuts (wife says walnuts) that has just come off the stove and is now being worked???

As it opens more, there are some floral notes that do not overwhelm like the FRSB/1Bs, just a touch that is almost a floral fruit note that is with the chocolate. 3-5 min in the glass the floral is stronger and is one of the more dominant aromas
Taste:A instant hint of cork or older bottle taste that jumps in then changes to the richness of the bourbon. Vanilla and the candy store is back, but the floral is more noticeable than the nose. The 101 proof is evident, but not overwhelming???.
Finish:A little of the same cork/old bottle hit on the first start of the finish that jumps into quite a bit of floral. Very surprising to me. I do not remember floral in any other ER101 I have ever had??? Wife said some citrus and I agree its there, but mixed with the floral that is stronger than I have had.
Overall:Good bourbon, but not as good as other samples of the 101 that I have had. Hard to explain. I know common wisdom is the older the better, but I have to say, the later ER 101s (new bottles) have been better to me per my memory??? Need to do a vertical???. Need to get to Tommyboys for the three bottle stack up.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews