Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameCharter 101
Bottled ByBuffalo Trace Distillery Frankfort,KY
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content101 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Not Available Duty Free: Not Available Europe: Not Available
Age0
Views (since 20080612) 22402
Bottling Info

Review from gauze (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1961, Created:20110507214111)
Purchased at:Capital Cellars, Frankfort, KY
Purchased for:16
Nose:simple, corny, vanilla/caramel
Taste:Kind of Harsh, sweet, simple, fast prickly burn for alcohol, little char
Finish:lot of burn, slightly minty maybe?
Overall:I have a hard time believing this is the same stuff these other reviews are talking about, this is borderline nasty to me.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1860, Created:20100804165739)
Purchased at:Sigman Bottle Shop, Conyers, GA
Purchased for:$20
Nose:Corn and vanilla, corn and vanilla with a hint of honeysuckle.....just as bonbonv noted in his review. Alcohol is subdued.
Taste:Thick with sweetness, rich sweetness, solid sweetness, but not cloying sweetness. Then there is a slowly developing warmth that never reachs the level of heat, but creates a glow about mid-palate.
Finish:Longer finish that it has any right to be...........the thick sweetness and vanilla flavors hold on and on.
Overall:A nice and interesting sip and much better than I was expecting. Goes down easy, but is not without its own unique merits. Get some if you can find it and tell us your impressions.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from BourbonDave (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1585, Created:20090525011823) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Liquor Barn, Lexington, KY
Purchased for:$16
Info on this bottle:Standard bottle 750ml
Nose:Vanilla, very much reminds me of Buffalo Trace. I also pick up a little of the fruit and floral notes but don't quite know what.
Taste:This is nice. Not alot of depth and complexity, but vanilla is one of my favorite bourbon flavors and this really has alot of it just like BT. It has a nice corn sweetness as well
Finish:The finish is just right. A little pepper tingle from the proof but not anything you wouldn't expect. I get a little more of the fruit taste during the finish.
Overall:I probably would have never picked up this bottle, but thanks to bunghole I did. Thanks! I asked for a smooth sweet inexpensive bourbon and that is exactly what I got. I aggree with bunghole in that this is easy drinking stuff, very suitable summertime bourbon. Definitely adding it to my budget bourbon list.

Review from bunghole (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1405, Created:20090101112900, Updated:20090101113131) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Virginia ABC Store #338 Waynesboro, VA.
Purchased for:$21.90
Info on this bottle:Distilled from fine grains by the old time proven method.
Nose:Color is a golden toned amber. Viscosity in the glass is medium and coating with decent legs.

The nose is mildly complex with corn sweetness; vanilla, and a wonderful fruity component that is very pear like. A hint of a sweet spice, and perhaps a wafting of tobacco. All good easily accessable aromas with nothing obtuse.
Taste:The flavor is equally as accessable as the nose, but not as complex. Charred oak shows up. Corn and light vanilla, with some fruitiness. Very easy drinking with a nice soft mouthfeel.
Finish:An easy softspoken finish of medium duration. Some subdued white pepper; oak, and tobacco. No more heat than any 90 proof bourbon belies it's potant 101 proof. Once again making this bourbon very easy drinking.
Overall:The bottle is very much the same (if not the same) classic style of my much beloved and greatly missed 12 year old 'Classic 90'. The 'Old' has been dropped from the Charter name, but the mashbill sure tates the same, and the label states that it is distilled, aged, and bottled by the Old Charter Distillery Company in Frankfort, Kentucky which is, of course, our good and fine friends at Buffalo Trace.

I like this bourbon muchly, as there are times when I just want something good to drink that is easy going and doesn't require a degree in Bourbonology to understand or enjoy.

The Pure Glass was used for this review.

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1188, Created:20080706181959) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Liquor depot on Dixie Highway
Purchased for:$19.95
Info on this bottle:Standard bottle from liquor depot
Nose:Tasted in a glencairn glass - color is a pale amber. Vanilla and sweet corn with a hint of leather and flowers - honeysuckle.
Taste:Nice mouth feel with a slightly oily texture. No alcohol burn but a nice heat in the throat. Sweet vanilla and ripe pears with a hint of apricots leading into a vanilla sweetness towards the finish
Finish:Vanilla with just a hint of oak in the background that lingers with a fruity sweetness for some time. Not a complex finish, but a very nice one.
Overall:Tasting this side by side with Old Charter 8yo and they are the same color so this has to be mostly 5 or 6 year old bourbon since it is higher in proof than the 8 year old. It is still a nice bourbon that can be drank neat or mixed in a cocktail. I like this and will add it to my bargain bourbon list.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews