Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameThomas H. Handy 2007
Bottled ByBuffalo Trace Distillery Frankfort,KY
TypeKentucky Straight Rye Whiskey
Alcohol content134.8 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Unknown Duty Free: Not Available Europe: Not Available
Views (since 20080612) 11212
Bottling Info

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1845, Created:20100614181014)
Purchased at:Towers Liquor Store Atlanta
Purchased for:$59.99
Info on this bottle:2009 version - cut to 105 proof
Nose:Tangerines, raisons, allspice, cinnamon, ginger open up, then comes some rye and nutmeg. Very spicy, but spices that are on the milder and sweeter side.
Taste:Very thick and creamy with the nutmeg and ginger giving it some depth and character. The cinnamon is only mildly hot. More balanced than the earlier Handys and a bit more sophisticated and soft. Soft enough to be considered refreshing but not delicate.
Finish:Balanced, and moderately long.
Overall:Best of the Handy ryes in my opinion (and the others were all quite good) because it has better balance. I believe this is an 8 YO whiskey and a very, very, good one at that.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from enzo (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1459, Created:20090204214820, Updated:20090204215000)
Purchased at:Guadalupe Austin, TX
Purchased for:$60
Info on this bottle:2008
Nose:Lush, fruity, floral. Vanilla bean, dried apricots, figs, golden raisins, peach cobbler, fresh mint, pear, rye. Really inviting nose... makes you want to jump right in and take a gulp.
Taste:Super sweet... like a vanilla butter cream frosting... exploding into, cinnamon, nutmeg, orange, clove, more fig, a bit of oak... The Alcohol is present, but not at all over powering. There's also a slight oily consistency... similar to, but much more understated than Stagg.
Finish:very warm, pleasing finish with a very pronounced rye and clove. Gives you that nice warm fuzzy feeling... similar to a fine Cognac... but leaves the tongue tingling.
Overall:This is hands down, the most enjoyable Rye I've tried thus far. More enjoyable, and more balanced than the Rittenhouse 21. It's a whiskey you can truly savor... sip by sip. It is very sweet. Perhaps too sweet for some... but the spice really balances out the sweet in the finish.

I tried it on the rocks... it was good... but much better neat.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Dump Bucket (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1454, Created:20090203103926)
Purchased at:Gift from Funknik
Purchased for:50ml of Old Crow 10/86, 1968
Info on this bottle:2008 Version
Nose:Some sweet, dry and earth with pumpkin pie, fresh crust and whip cream. A little wet oak chips, brown sugar and all the things right in your face that say thanks giving pumpkin pie.
Taste:Rye and some sweet and spice. Soft burn that grows with the strength of the rye.
Finish:Pumpkin spice and then rye with a little whip cream on the end.
Overall:I know this is good rye. There is do doubt in my mind, but it is just not my profile. The rye is so dominant in this that I would prefer some softer overtones to help work with the in your face spice and rye.

If you like this profile in a rye, you will love this juice. There will be more available for you since I will not be getting any bottles???.

Review from bourbonguyjapan (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1044, Created:20080330055757)
Purchased at:trade :)
Purchased for:gratis
Info on this bottle:sample
Nose:Alcohol. Heavy alcohol and oranges.
Taste:Rye, and a little heat followed by tangarine and almond.
Finish:I did "finish" this one rather quickly.
Overall:Good Bourbon!!! Mighty fine bourbon. Mighty fine indeed!

Review from spun_cookie (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 916, Created:20071123181615, Updated:20080108200420)
Purchased at:BevMo, Chandler AZ
Purchased for:~$58
Proof Of this Bottle:134.8
Nose:Raisins.. strong raisins.. and grapes... almost like bread pudding.

I want to crawl in the glass and relax for a while

The longer this sits in the Reidel neat the nicer it gets. There is spices-o-plenty...
Taste:
Finish:
Overall:Damn that pumpkin pie... the first time I had this it was bunk, now... whoooo yeah... this is a great sit by the fire and sip drink... warmed the soul and toasted the body

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews