Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameWillett Rye 22 yr
Bottled ByKentucky Bourbon Distillers, Ltd. Bardstown,KY
TypeKentucky Straight Rye Whiskey
Alcohol content136.7 Proof
Availability US: Not Available Japan: Not Available Duty Free: Not Available Europe: Not Available
Age22
Views (since 20080612) 16240
Bottling Info22yo, Single Barrel, unfiltered, barrel proof Willett Rye
136.7 proof
Barrel No. 618
Bottle No. 34 of 263
Distilled 4-10-1984
Warehouse G, Rick 53
Selected for Doug Phillips

Review from spun_cookie (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1320, Created:20081017190659, Updated:20081017191045)
Purchased at:Greg Gilbert's
Proof Of this Bottle:68
Nose:Rye, spice, lavender, blue berry pie
Taste:Rye, chocolate, leather and burn. Spice cinnamon
Finish:Finishes like a freight train... with Peppermint, white pepper
Overall:Fun stuff. I see why this is Greg's favorite

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 785, Created:20070601134415)
Purchased at:Gift from JD Knaebel (Thanks JD)
Info on this bottle:bottle No. 125 o f 216 Bottling 2 for Dougdog
Proof Of this Bottle:136.7
Nose:Ripe fruit - cherries and dates, with some caramel, tobacco and floral notes. A soft nose that does not overpower, but is filled with complex flavors.
Taste:Taken neat it has a powerfull alcohol burn that settles into some sweet fruit candied in vanilla and toffee. A drop or three of water improves this rye by toning down the alcohol and letting the flavors come through. Those flavors are ripe apricot with vanilla and caramel with a touch of cinnamon spice and oak.
Finish:The finish is long lasting that starts very sweet but becomes more tannic as it goes on, but not a dry mouth type of tannins.
Overall:Another very good bottle of old rye. I think between the first bottling and the second, I would give a slight edge to the first. Both are excellent rye whiskeys that would go great with a dessert after a meal or a nice cigar or pipe full of tobacco under a shade tree.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from MikeK (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 666, Created:20061204142107, Updated:20080118164702) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Shared from an original investor
Nose:Powerful nose, warm and sweet. Heavy alcohol and oak. Rich with rye spiciness and soft raisins.
Taste:Huge sweet richness at first, shifting to oaky dryness and tannins. Heavy alcohol burn.
Finish:Medium to long finish, dry and oaky.
Overall:A great bottling, thanks to Doug for putting it together. The presentation gets full points, the label is just beautiful and the unique white wax top is perfect. This is a very unique pour and well worth seeking out. However, I caution the timid. I have read many reviews that claim it does not taste 22 years old and barrel proof. They all lie, yes it does. While sipping a pina colada makes you think of tropical beaches and cool breezes, this rye evokes Laurence of Arabia, in a sandstorm, on an ill tempered camel. Again, this is a fascinating bottling, rich and powerful, but one should know what they are getting into.

You may not care whether I taste dark cherry, but here is what you need to know. If Pappy 20/23 and BMH-18 are among your favorite pours, then this will blow your socks off. If they are too old/woody for your palate, then you probably don't want to spring for a bottle, but I still recommend you take any opportunity to try it as an important assignment towards your Masters in Bourbonology.

Review from TNbourbon (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 647, Created:20061117143304)
Purchased at:Trade with original barrel investor
Purchased for:'06 William Larue Weller
Info on this bottle:Bottle No. 182 of 263
Nose:A puff of oak followed by vanilla and leather, evolving into grain-bin rye. I like the oak lead-in which quickly transforms, promising something besides 22 years' worth of barrel. Some aeration and minutes uncover caramel, then the flower garden. Merry-go-rounds back to the rye grain. Wow! Lots to cover.
Taste:Initial heat, then orange, leather, tobacco in quick progression, mulled in steaming water (well, still pretty hot anyway); The leather and orange peel hang on. In fact, just a little bit orange muscat-y, if you've ever had the dessert wine -- not too much, but hinting. Pretty persistent, but subtle, rye graininess stays in the background all the way across the palate.
Finish:Like the rest of the movement, the coda offers multiple sensations: fresh oak, orange, blueberries. Clean, no brooding over this one.
Overall:Never a dull moment. Don't know that I've had as complex an American whiskey. While not every flavor element is a favorite, none predominates or lingers, and there's plenty of other 'goodies' to please. A first-rate whiskey experience.

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 634, Created:20061107165938)
Purchased at:Gift from JD Knaebel (Thanks JD)
Info on this bottle:As above
Nose:Rich caramel, sweet molasses, and floral tones - honey suckel blossoms, with some sweet spice such as cloves and liquorice. Very nice but very complex.
Taste:Alittle alcohol burn but not as much as you would expect from such a high proof. Very sweet with caramel and molasses with some wood tannins - again not as much as you would expect for 22 years of age, and the spice leading into the finish.
Finish:Very posative finish. Lots of wood without the nasty dry tannins. There is also a spicey sweetness that last a long time. Some nice ripe fruit comes through in the finish as well - very ripe apricots with some deep dark blackberry.
Overall:This is an excellent product with lots of interesting things going on at every step. This is a rye that I will enjoy every time I take a drink and probably in a different way. Great job of picking this barrel Doug and all.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews