Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameBTEC French Oak
Bottled ByBuffalo Trace Distillery Frankfort,KY
TypeWhiskey
Alcohol content90 Proof
Availability US: No Longer Available Japan: Not Available Duty Free: Not Available Europe: Not Available
Mashbill InfoBT Rye Mash #1
Age10
Views (since 20080612) 11059
Bottling Info(from the manufacturer)
BUFFALO TRACE RELEASES UNIQUE EXPERIMENTAL WHISKIES

FRANKLIN COUNTY, KY: Over seventeen years ago Buffalo Trace Distillery began experimenting. Since then Buffalo Trace has produced over 1,500 experimental barrels of whiskey now aging in its warehouses. Each of the barrels has unique characteristics making each one different from all others. Some examples of these experiments include unique mash bills, types of wood, barrel toasts, and more.
Now for the first time, Buffalo Trace will bottle a few of these experimental barrels. For each experiment to be released there will only ever be 400 bottles in existence; due to the unique nature of each experiment.
'It is very exciting to finally be able to offer these whiskies to our consumers,' said Harlen Wheatley, Master Distiller. 'We love to push the envelope of whiskey making by exploring different ideas and methods we've never tried before.'

The first three (3) barrels will constitute the beginning of more periodic releases; together know as the Buffalo Trace 'Experimental Collection' . Here are some details of these first three releases:

1. FRENCH OAK: This bourbon was aged ten years in a French Oak barrel in which the staves were first air-dried for 24 months. The French Oak has given the whiskey a sugary sweetness and dark caramel color.
2. TWICE BARRELED: After aging this bourbon for eight years and eight months, this whiskey was put into a brand new barrel. With twice the wood, this whiskey has lots of oak and has a long warm finish.
3. FIRE POT BARREL: This barrel was heated to 102F for 23 minutes to dry the wood prior to filling. The whiskey has a smoky nose, and hints of fruit and tobacco on the pallet.

'Each of these whiskeys is unlike anything I've ever tasted,' said Kris Comstock, Buffalo Trace Brand Manager. 'Any whiskey drinker will appreciate the differences between these experiments and other whiskeys.'

The Experimental Collection will be packaged in 375ml bottles. Each label will include all the pertinent information unique to that barrel of whiskey. These whiskies will be released in late April 2006 and retail for around $46.35 each. For more information on the Experimental Collection or the other products of Buffalo Trace Distillery please contact Kris Comstock at kcomstock@buffalotrace.com

Review from spun_cookie (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1162, Created:20080623225656, Updated:20080623232514)
Purchased at:
Info on this bottle:~1/4 ounce samples
Nose:Light oak, almost sweet, definitely French oak. Has the smell of a winery using French Oak
Taste:Light with a soft oak (French Oak) touch. Lacks the definition of a white oak barrel. Simple taste to it. Come light corn, rye and immature whiskey
Finish:Reminds me of a very immature bourbon. 30 to 40 seconds of taste with corn and rye, but nothing that makes rave
Overall:I am not sure how this would have been if there was 1-2 ounces and time to let it grow at I drank it.

I think this would take many more years to get where I would want it to be. There may be a 1.5|1 ratio on what it would need to do to stay in the French compared to the white oak

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 544, Created:20060723075420)
Purchased at:Drank it at party
Info on this bottle:Standard Bottle
Proof Of this Bottle:90
Nose:Rich apricot fruit and carmel/vanilla with a hint of fresh mint.
Taste:Sweet caramel and lots of it with some fruity apricot and cherries with some minty spice.
Finish:This is where this bourbon fails big time. It starts sweet but quickly becoming more and minty to the point the finish resembles that of Nyquil.
Overall:Maybe we just had a bad bottle but everyone agreed this was the worst of the three experimental bourbons. It was always the finish that killed the experience. Iwas the kindest. Others were saying Halls cough drops and even a funky three week old cough drop.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from TNbourbon (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 528, Created:20060619184611, Updated:20060619191215)
Purchased at:Julio's, Westboro, MA
Purchased for:$55 (Trade with MikeK)
Info on this bottle:see label
Proof Of this Bottle:90
Nose:My first whiff direct from the bottle upon pulling the cork elicited, "This smells like wine!" Already something learned -- at least a good part of a wine's nose comes from the French Oak barrel most winemakers use. A bonus: buy bourbon, learn wine. Okay, back to cases -- in the glass, the rich caramel/vanilla is on top, but a deep inhalation pulls you back into the wood of the barrel, where that "winy-ness" resides. Give both the bourbon and yourself a chance to breathe a bit, and some cinnamon arrives, with just a shade of anise/licorice. An overall pleasant nose.
Taste:Cinnamon prickliness accompanies a brief flash of heat on first taste, which settles into Brach's (NOT Kraft) caramels' muted sweetness. Only the mildest leathery acidity on the back end balances the general sugariness. Medium body throughout, the heat dissipated by time of swallowing.
Finish:Oh, boy! The finish is where this bourbon excels. It is long and warm, with seemingly more heat than on the palate. At least, there is a lingering sense of warmth. And no acidic sourness to distract from its enjoyment.
Overall:As experiments go, this one, I think, is a success. It certainly proves you can make fine bourbon using a French Oak barrel (and that seems to have been the point). Would it make my Top-5 (assuming it were available)? No. Top 10? Maybe -- we're certainly in the ballpark now. I like sweet, and this one IS that! The biggest difference from any other bourbon I found was the wine sense of the nose. Pop those corks and drink up!

Review from MikeK (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 519, Created:20060605152235) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Julio's Liquors, Westboro MA
Purchased for:$55
Nose:Very unique nose. It took me a few minutes to pin it down but it definitely smells of Chartreuse or Benedictine liquor. Aromas of cinnamon, grape candy and spices.
Taste:Medium body, light on the palate. Slight oiliness. A hint of Benedictine liquor. Spicy. Caramel only came out after warming the glass in my hand.
Finish:Dry finish with hint of sweetness and spice. Short at first, but growing longer and longer as I got through the glass. Clean finish with cinnamon and spices.
Overall:This is different than any whiskey you have ever had. The French oak gives it a unique spicy and herbal quality. The normal Bourbon caramel attributes are subdued. Very pleasant and interesting. Hopefully Buffalo Trace will introduce this as a regular product in the future.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews