Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameHirsch Rye 21 yr
Bottled ByOld Rip VanWinkle / Julian VanWinkle Lawerenceburg,KY
TypeKentucky Straight Rye Whiskey
Alcohol content93 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Unknown Duty Free: Not Available Europe: Unknown
Age21
Views (since 20080612) 12250
Bottling Info

Review from Don Galligan (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1752, Created:20091111112752)
Purchased at:sample from a bartender friend
Purchased for:Samples are free!
Info on this bottle:22 years old
Nose:The nose on this is very different from a typical bourbon. Some wood, and a lot of spice, like spicy gum drops, and a touch of alcohol.
Taste:WOW! Lots of spice and a little heat with some oaky complexity. This is great stuff, a taste of americana in a bottle!
Finish:Long and flavorful. The spice notes go on and on like a great piece of penny candy.
Overall:This is amazing stuff. I'm going to have to get a fifth. Cheapest I can find is $120

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from gillmang (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1337, Created:20081031233346, Updated:20081031234056) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Party Source, Bellevue, KY
Purchased for:$120
Info on this bottle:Same as what Mike reviews below but one year older, this is Hirsch Selection 22 Year Old Straight Rye
Nose:Strong nose (much more so than Hirsch 16 for example), some older wood (a little funk in there I think), hazelnut chocolate, alcohol, some kind of (pleasant) chemical, maybe acetone like Mike says, which are the rye notes, clearly
Taste:Sweet, strong nutty vibrant taste with wood forward, not silky smooth but vibrant and out there
Finish:Wood and alcohol mostly, some tannins at the edge of the tongue, good whiskey taste too, little apparent char. The odor off the frame of the glass when empty is amazing.
Overall:This is great whiskey. Like Mike says, maybe a bit much taken neat but I wouldn't mix it, rather, place one cube in it. Fine old American whiskey, the real deal.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 505, Created:20060514090554)
Purchased at:Bourbon's Bistro Bar
Info on this bottle:Standard Bottle
Proof Of this Bottle:93
Nose:Strong oak with some acetone. Ahint of dark fruits, apricots, and some spice. After it breaths a while you get some caramel sweetness coming through the other aromas.
Taste:Lots of wood and alcohol heat with a little caramel and spice.
Finish:The wood tanins make for a very dry finish with only a very little caramel sweetness.
Overall:Unless you like a lot of wood, this is too woody to drink neat - try a manhattan or some other cocktail to soften the wood taste.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews