Bottling NameBlack Maple Hill Rye
Bottled ByKentucky Bourbon Distillers, Ltd. Bardstown,KY
TypeKentucky Straight Rye Whiskey
Alcohol content95 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Unknown Duty Free: Unknown Europe: Unknown
Age18
Views (since 20080612) 13894
Bottling Info

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1269, Created:20080903194402)
Purchased at:
Info on this bottle:18 Wonderful Years in the Good Oak!
Nose:A remarkable melding of rye fruity, spicy, citrusy aromatics.........and OAK! A most interesting and alluring nose, assertiveness subdued by sublety, neither being the loser! Sink your nose in this!! Incroyable, mes amis!!
Taste:Where is the rye tiger, with his outrageous sweetness, tamed........and made to withhold his wildness? Where is the oak tannin and the woody dryness forced to give up its death grip? Where is this whiskey paradox resolved? In this 18 YO Rye, that's where!!
Finish:So much rye, so much wood...............how can they both get their due. 'Tis a fortuitous balance at work in this whiskey!
Overall:'Twas nought but a wondrous skill and discriminating palate that birthed this barrel. And you want to know what an exceptional 'old' whiskey can be, look no further. Age is never a guarantee of quality, but it is exceeding rare that depth and wisdom belong to the young! This is a wise whiskey..........it is what it is and is not something else.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 825, Created:20070822163824, Updated:20070822164053)
Purchased at:
Info on this bottle:See other review - same bottle - 10 months later
Nose:Prominent oak and woody aromas, followed by the rye spice and fruity elements expected of a rye whiskey. But both are quite subdued. From one point of view, the barrel has taken the 'fight' from the whiskey and given it over to the wood. From another point of view, the barrel has taken the 'edge' from the whiskey and replaced it with 'softer' aromas. In either case the alcohol has been quite moderated. But the whiskey has not thereby been emasculated and thinned.
Taste:What the nose proposed is carried out in the taste. Some of us, much more than others, like what time in the wood CAN do. This does not always happen, and may be simply a matter of taste, as MikeK so cogently pointed out in his review (MikeK is an astute reviewer and picks up on nuances others may miss). It is my steadfast opinion that long aging (for bourbon or rye) makes for a different whiskey when done correctly. I think the taste of BMH 18 YO Rye is exceptional and excellent. All the edges are rounded and made subtle. The wood, while prominent, is not the lead player here, unless your palate is particularly sensitive to that taste. The leading role is still taken by the rye, with its paradoxical spice and fruit combination.........time in the wood has relaxed the tension in this combination and released it to a more subtle expression. All the complexity promised in the original recipe and barrel selection are yet intact. This is not a simple whiskey that needs hide anything.
Finish:It does not seem conceiveable to me that BMH 18 YO Rye would have a poor finish. It could, of course, happen and my expections could just go up in flames. But, true to its profile, BMH Rye has a lasting and generous finish. The rye and fruit have staying power, the spice being barely the stronger in the finish. In my mind, the finish destroys the argument that the wood owns this rye whiskey. It is not the wood that leaves the stage last, it is the spiciness of the rye, just as one would hope!
Overall:To me, the Master Distiller (Julian Van Winkle?) who selected the barrels of BMH 18 YO Rye knows his stuff! I think this is a great whiskey, beholding to the barrel in a very positive way. Others find it otherwise. Such is life!

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 616, Created:20061025122006)
Purchased at:Sigman Bottle Shop, Conyers, GA
Purchased for:$88
Info on this bottle:Cask R70
Proof Of this Bottle:95
Nose:A fruity, perfumey nose with flowers, oranges, tangerines, apricots, oak, licorice, rye, dark chocolate, vanilla, and a whiff of coffee. Interesting, complex, and dee-lish-yus!
Taste:Sweet and rich, but slow to evolve on the palate. The rye spice is slightly subdued and appears at the back of the mouth........not in the middle as expected. There is some definite woody influence that seems to both dampen the rye liveliness and smooth its edges. The taste settles in and asks you to go along with it.........it does not command you!
Finish:Not especially long nor strong. Quite dry but still subtle and complex, and very pleasing. Only the fruity zest hints that this is a rye........all the sharpness has been attenuated.
Overall:I think MikeK hit the nail right on the head in his comment that if you like Pappy 20/23 YO bourbons, you will like this rye. As he suggests, it seems a not distant cousin to the Pappy's. I like both Pappy's and I like this rye. It is different from the other ryes with which I have some acquaintance. It is more delicate and sophisticated. I have said of both the Pappy's that they have one foot in the bourbon world and one foot elsewhere. I would say the same about this rye........it has one foot elsewhere. I like this rye a lot and recommend it with no reservation. I think it is an interesting and excellent spirit!

I'll have another drap now, if you please! Ah, so nice, just look at those beautiful fall colors outside the window.......I'm gonna live 'til I die!!

Review from MikeK (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 511, Created:20060519173752)
Purchased at:BevMo, San Diego CA
Purchased for:$70.00
Info on this bottle:Cask R77
Nose:Oak, port, caramel, chocolate, grape candy and a hint of banana.
Taste:Full flavor on the palate. Sweet and buttery rich. Root beer.
Finish:Medium length. Oak, dry with a hint of sweetness.
Overall:Elegant and sophisticated. Good, but I prefer the 16yo. A hair too old and woody for my taste. If you like Pappy 20/23yo you will like this as well.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews