Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameJack Daniels Black
Bottled ByJack Daniel Distillery Lynchburg,TN
TypeTN Whiskey
Alcohol content80 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Available Duty Free: Available Europe: Available
Age4
Views (since 20080612) 54184
Bottling Info

Review from Birdo (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2361, Created:20160217182234, Updated:20160414175242)
Purchased at:Liquor Barn Louisville East end.
Purchased for:$24/750ml
Info on this bottle:Old number 7
Proof Of this Bottle:80
Nose:Whiskey with char, vanilla and bananas
Taste:Bourbon like with some char. Vanilla and caramel are both there with a hint of rye spice. Predominant flavor is fake banana flavoring like in banana taffy and other confectioneries.
Finish:Pretty long finish due to the unique flavor profile.
Overall:Smooth and very drinkable, like candy. Not a challenging whiskey, but simply very enjoyable. If you like the banana flavor profile, you will love Jack Daniels, apparently I do, and this will be in my regular rotation. This is a love it or hate it kind of whiskey. I guess most of the 11 million cases per year of this JD wind up in Coke, but I think its fine neat or on the rocks. The 750ml price is a bit steep, but the 1.75 liter is more reasonable. It is hard to compare value as this there is nothing quite like it on the market. 80 proofer, mixes and plays well with others. Iconic American brand.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Photoqwest (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2207, Created:20130704181802) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Sam's Club-Riverside, Ca
Purchased for:$40 1.5 liter
Nose:Spicy bananas and pears, hint of vanilla and corn
Taste:Bananas and smokey sweet corn. Very spicy middle
Finish:Lingering oak and spice, a little bite and burn in the back of your mouth
Overall:Like so many people out there JD was my introduction to Whiskey. Personally, I like Jack, especially in the classic Jack and Coke. I wouldn't drink Old No 7 neat as there are better options to drink neat.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from karloff (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2133, Created:20121126070419)
Purchased at:Sunderland
Purchased for:25 pounds
Info on this bottle:Gift to myself
Nose:A real smokey nose with a touch of Syrup
Taste:The smoke turns to toast with some dried dark fruits in there.
Finish:Smooth and suprisingly long finish
Overall:Jack is Jack

Review from dickelfanaustralia (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2074, Created:20120512115213, Updated:20130427011949) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Australia. 2012.
Info on this bottle:10019217sl 50ml
Nose:Maple, charcoal wood, Mellow, Spice, Dry Cola. And a hint of soft vanilia pod custad from the oak.
Taste:Mellow. Little sour, maple, dry, charcoal, wood grip, vanilia, pepper and cinnamon back. This bottle slight oak grip with Vanilia Pod Custard ozzing out. Wish it went further. Sorta robust this one. Could be more on that charcoal smoke this one.
Finish:sugery charred wood, barky cinnamon spice.
Overall:Current updates. 350ml 10019215sl: Huge wood acid and Ethernol. Neded Mellowing. Had some intensity. 350ml 10012162b: Too Mild and Flabby. No Off notes. Maybe JD should do a Higher Rye Mash Bill verson to take that flabby body out that happens to often.

Review from Wasatch (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2019, Created:20111226155210)
Purchased at:Layton, UT
Purchased for:$22
Info on this bottle:750ml
Nose:Light Golden Amber

Nice vanilla note, maple, slight oak.
Taste:The taste is sweet, with some nice oak notes, vanilla, and caramel.
Finish:Medium Body. With a slight dry/oaky finish.
Overall:A very tasty TN Whiskey. Goes down pretty easy. A good one to start the journey with. Recommended.

Review from RPG (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1980, Created:20110714110833) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:
Purchased for:~2$
Info on this bottle:50ml MINI
Nose:Very strong ethanol on the nose when meeting the alcohol, a drink that you have to truly smell very gradually, in round, soft movements of the arms and glass. This is not a "Hello!" spirit, it will not tolerate a quick entrance. The traces of moss and damp wood came into the picture with patience, and a dab of the spirit dried on the skin revealed the same scent to a more peaceful extent. A "floral" scent was also present, surprisingly pretty for such a harsh alcohol.
Taste:Not enough balance in the spirit to be a pleasurable sipping or tasting whiskey in my opinion, and the burning of the overriding alcohol fought with any possible tastings or notes. This still applied after substantial water added, and it was not until almost %50 water in my glass that I was able to enjoy a roundness to the drink that left me able to discern the taste of an old, mossy rocking chair turned into liquid. Very damp oak tastes, very mossy, very sour mash.
Finish:In the throat, the alcohol was always too much to bear, and again was not tolerable or decipherable until almost %50 water in my glass. Again, very strong alcohol here. The finish in tastes is the same as above, but the finish leaves a burn and squint, begging for a soda or water to finish the process. Not a friendly whiskey at all.
Overall:I personally find that other brands and variations are truly, but only slightly, easier and more interesting to drink. Jack Daniels seems very rooted in traditionalism (powerful alcohol, mossy oak flavors, bland experience), where as other brands seem to, by small amounts, remedy a few of the negatives, even in terms of smoothness. However, a recent test of Jack Daniel's Honey seems to prove that the new Honey variation has remedied many things I just did not enjoy about Black Label.

Review from Watson Roadster (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1973, Created:20110618012703)
Purchased at:LCBO Beamsville ,Ontario
Purchased for:$28.50 CDN...It was on sale for $1 off...
Info on this bottle:Jack Daniel's Old No.7 Brand Tennessee Sour Mash Whiskey
Nose:[Olfactory impressions]
Brown sugar/maple,Charcoal/Alcohol/oak

Heavy on the charcoal and alcohol...
Taste:[Description of the initial taste impression]

Lot's of charcoal taste with alot of alcohol and hints of vanilla...
Finish:[Description of the lingering taste impression]

Smoke with charcoal..Vanilla...alcohol with some sort of chemical thing going on...The smoke and vanilla is good!The other stuff?...Not so much...
Overall:[Overall impression of this bottling]

This is the epitome of bottom shelf whiskey at mid shelf prices.JD Old No.7 is to sour mash what Johnnie Walker Red Label is to blended scotch...

In otherwprds,it's more of a testament to marketing than actual quality.If this was'nt on sale I would not have purchased it.Jim Beam Black,at virtually the same price point,blows this swill out of the water...I know,Iknow...Jack Daniels is'nt Bourbon...

This is better suited as paint thinner...

Overrated,overpriced garbage!!

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1923, Created:20110207165216, Updated:20110207165248)
Purchased at:Sigman Bottle Shop, Conyers, GA
Purchased for:$26
Info on this bottle:Angelo Luccehesi release
Proof Of this Bottle:90
Nose:Vanilla, rye, maple, oak, citrus (lemon peel), and char in a lively and pleasing mix.
Taste:Moderately rich sweetness that is much more than pleasant, it is sophisticated in its character. There is a skosh of maple, a hint of vanilla, both colored by char and oak. Along mid-palate a mildly cleansing spice lights up with a spark that quickly becomes an ember.
Finish:Moderately long, mildly spicy, lingeringly sweet. Well balanced.
Overall:In my opinion, a first rate whiskey that is on the light side. It has wonderfully nuanced flavors and sweetness with no flaws to my palate.

Review from gillmang (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1896, Created:20101128210801, Updated:20101128211114) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Toronto, Canada.
Purchased for:Can't recall
Info on this bottle:Standard 80 proof.
Nose:Perfumed, elegant, something orangey/peachy (not banana)
Taste:A glycerine soft and refined taste, with mapley hints, lightly sweet, very natural-tasting
Finish:Complex lingering notes of fruit, wood, cured corn.
Overall:This is really good. I find Jack does vary. Some are heavy-handed with banana and earth. This one, while carrying the Jack banner, shines with its refined elegance. I know the next bottle won't be as good, that's how it is. But I'll keep buying it because I like all Jack anyway (I use it in blending sometimes) and every now and then hit a perfect mingling. Any bourbon fan would admire this, trust me.

Review from gillmang (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1622, Created:20090706222939, Updated:20090706223301)
Purchased at:see below
Purchased for:Between $5.00--$8.00 a shot
Info on this bottle:Drinks sampled in different bars/restaurants locally on a trip to Nashville
Nose:Caramel tones. sometimes earthy, but rarely the banana characteristic of recent years
Taste:Generally full-bodied, good straight whiskey character, something tangy that is hard to describe, I thought of copper-metallic sometimes, which doesn't really make sense. Sometimes a little earthy/woody. (The samples did vary somewhat IMO).
Finish:Quite long and brandy-like. Tasty.
Overall:High marks. I wonder if Jack just tastes better on its home turf, or perhaps the palate is being tweaked to lessen the traditional (in recent years) banana-like top note. Or can it be Tennessee keeps the best of the batches? I will buy a bottle in Ontario and offer further notes soon. If the palate is improving, it should show up here. I incline to a theory of an improvement because I feel I detect this in the Single Barrel in recent years. But this was the first time in as many years that I tasted Old No. 7.

Review from azoth_melusina (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1431, Created:20090117214321, Updated:20090119222955)
Purchased at:PLCB store in Broomall
Purchased for:6.99
Info on this bottle:200ml
Nose:ripe bananas dipped in applejack; wood; peaches and (sour) cream; later, cherry pits, prunes.
Taste:unripe bananas hiding behind tangy mesquite honey (not as good or bad as it sounds); something bitter-tangy-sour...not bad, but i guess that's what survives once it mingles with coke
Finish:not sure if there was one...it's over right when you start looking for it...what remains is a dry, alcohol sourness...maybe wood
Overall:well, i was in the mood to tackle it only because of my recent find of an old GJ bottle...most certainly didn't want to blow $20+ on a bottle. kinda paid more buying this pocket size flask bottle...anyways, worth it in reminding me what it is i really like about whiskey and what dynamics i appreciate. JD black doesn't really fit the bill 99% of the time....not sure i will experiment again with JD products unless free or on sale or there's no choice. i say UP this to at least 100 proof! and age it a few more years. then JD can justify the current price. too many other 80 proofers blow this away...Old Taylor, Benchmark, JB Rye, Dickel...

Review from LogicalFrank (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1241, Created:20080818212034, Updated:20080818212604)
Purchased at:CVS Pharmacy
Nose:Nose is light. Leather, charcoal a bit of a medicinal impression from the alcohol.
Taste:Smooth but somewhat ashy. So mild as to require significant effort to pull anything out of it.
Finish:Again, quite light here but w/ a burn in the finish and a bit of fruity peach flavors.
Overall:It's got a different sort of something than an inexpensive eighty proof bourbon but is about the same level of quality you'd expect out of a bottle costing maybe $12-15 and this is a bit more expensive. Mild on it's own but something about it makes it stick out in a cocktail, which is either good or bad depending on the cocktail.

Review from gillmang (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 913, Created:20071120204157, Updated:20071120204459)
Purchased at:Don't know
Purchased for:Don't know
Info on this bottle:Brought by Mike to Scorpiofest '07
Nose:Quite light, reminiscent of the current JD nose but lighter and with something "different"
Taste:Round, deep and bourbon-like disclosing some of the banana-like notes evident in modern JD but in a softer, more integrated way. Some earthy/woody tastes too, again like the current JD, but better balanced. Quite sweet and rich with the 90 proof showing through nicely.
Finish:Charcoal and wood gum notes.
Overall:If I could get this today it would be a regular in my bar. JD Single Barrel is, but I found the JD 90 of 30 years ago better even than that benchmark. The best way to describe it is, it is like an excellent dryish modern bourbon (say, Blanton Original) mixed with JD Single Barrel of today, say 2:1. Come to think of it, time to start vatting up an imitation: don't know when that gem will come my way again. :)

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 573, Created:20060820131810) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:estate sale
Info on this bottle:Miniature bottle fron the 1960's - probably 1967
Nose:Very rich in caramel and fruits - ripe banana's with some wood smoke and pepper spice.
Taste:Sweet with caramel and vanilla with a little liquorice spice and laots of smokey wood. Still has the Jack Daniel alcohol burn in the throat.
Finish:Fairly long and sweet with caramel and wood.
Overall:This older bottle was different from more recent bottles. It lack the high fusel oil nose (clean fluid or lighter fluid smell) and looked to have more age. I can see why the brand became popular in the 60's with this quality of the product.

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 398, Created:20060318062523)
Purchased at:Bourbon's Bistro Bar
Purchased for:6.00
Info on this bottle:Standard Bottle
Nose:Corn and vanilla with banana fruit and charcoal smoke.
Taste:Sweet corn and vanilla with some pepper and cinnamon spices.
Finish:Sweet fruit flavors with oak tannins and charcoal smoke.
Overall:Jack and coke is the classic cocktail for this product.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 337, Created:20060131153410)
Purchased at:
Purchased for:$3.69 (?) 100 ml
Nose:The first thing to hit the nose is the burnt wood, tinged with maple syrup. It is not unpleasant and melds well with the corn and vanilla sweetness. The rye tries to tease its way past the smokiness like an insistent child, but being ignored, gives up rather quickly. The nose is subtle but not multilayered.
Taste:Corn sweetness and smoke delivered as the nose strongly suggested. Not a lot of complexity. Very little spice or character to my palate. The smoke is reminiscent of Scotch, but without the depth and complexity of Scotch.
Finish:Fairly sweet and short finish with only a slight alcohol presence.
Overall:My first taste of Jack Daniel's in quite a while. It is a smooth, decent, pour.... better than I remembered, but one which will not cause any blinking lights to go off in your sensory module.

I can see why people would like it, but might I suggest to JD fans, get yourself a bottle of Old Fitzgerald's 1849 (won't cost you as much as Jack) and do a side by side taste comparison. I won't say you will necessarily choose the 1849, but you will have had a richer, more complex taste experience in spite of yourself. If you use JD as a mixer, well then, you are playing a different game anyway. A game in which I am yet to participate.............but know better than to put down, since I haven't been there.

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 114)
Purchased at:estate sale
Info on this bottle:A ca 1982 liter bottle with tax stamp and without any warning labels
Nose:Fruits- Banana and pears with a little vanilla and spice - nutmeg or alspice.
Taste:Smokey corn with a little of the fruit from the nose, mostly banana. Some vanilla and nutmeg ending with a real burn going down the throat.
Finish:Smokey sweet with vanilla and oak dryness.
Overall:The flavor of this whiskey is a little more intense than the modern product. The burn is also more noticable, making me wonder if lowering the proof might have been a good idea for the brand.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews