Bottled ByJames B. Beam Distilling Co. Clermont,KY
TypeKentucky Straight Rye Whiskey
Alcohol content80 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Unknown Duty Free: Unknown Europe: Unknown
Mashbill InfoBeam rye since 1987
Age4
Views (since 20080612) 63098
Bottling Info

Review from BlueGrass_BrownWater (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2360, Created:20160212031157)
Purchased at:Liquor Barn - Lexington
Purchased for:$15
Nose:Caramel corn and slightly floral
Taste:Big spice standing out in front. Some leather mid-run with something else that may be grass or light citrus sweetness (not certain of that one). A well-balanced honey sweetness carries through the finish.
Finish:The finish is moderately sweet, unexpectedly delicate and medium in duration. Very pleasant with little oak or char to give a bitter bite.
Overall:For the price, I think it is a great low-key, easy-sipping everyday whiskey that I enjoyed way more than I expected for a $15 bottle. It is smooth and doesn't fight you back too hard. It's like....bourbon lite.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 2219, Created:20130724194855) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Five and Dime
Purchased for:$13 Confederate money
Info on this bottle:Old Overcoat, I mean Old Overholt
Nose:Sharp fruit, sharp spice, nice grainy aromas (which I like), along with some leather.
Taste:Fruity, spicy, just as the nose suggested. Nice grainy rye flavors and bite. Alcohol is not a factor, not too little, not too much. Quite smooth on the palate, but rich in rye flavors.
Finish:Warm and long, the rye totes the load very well, leaving some nice tingle behind that is reminescent of ginger and cinnamon.
Overall:Of late, I have seen some disparaging remarks about this whiskey, because I suppose it is only 80 proof, and maybe(?) because it is a Beam product or because it is a rye whiskey. I will say this, if I had only $13 (Confederate or American) to spend on whiskey, this would be a strong contender for that money. For that money (Confederate or American) I do not think there is a better value.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from frozenjoe (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1886, Created:20101115000050, Updated:20101115001712)
Purchased at:Arizona 2010
Purchased for:$8.99 (great deal!)
Info on this bottle:750 ml
Proof Of this Bottle:80
Nose:Oak and (surprise) some corn sweetness. Old Overholt is what I would call a mild rye in that it has a decent level of sweetness, similar to what you would expect from many bourbons. Pleasant, uncomplicated nose.
Taste:This is good whiskey. Strong corn and rye blended flavor. I know this is a rye whiskey, so it has at least 51% rye, but I taste corn first, followed by a strong rye backing. Together the two flavors blend into one, with a smoky oak flavor covering it all. The taste starts sweet, dominated by corn, and ends dry, dominated by rye.
Finish:The finish is dominated by dry, rye flavor. Smoky oak is also strong in the finish. The sweet corn is present but very muted in the finish.
Overall:This is a straightforward and nice whiskey. Seeing as how I can find it for so cheap locally, this has become my go to whiskey for now. The flavors are corn, then rye, then oak. It all blends together well. No frills. Not really deep or complex. But nice and well done. A good everyday whiskey. This is a whiskey that a newbie could actually like, but also that someone with some more whiskey experience can appreciate.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 696, Created:20070124135922, Updated:20070124141642)
Purchased at:Sigman Bottle Shop, Conyers, GA
Purchased for:$13
Nose:Unfolding honeysuckle flowers, tangerine (I mean tangerines, not oranges, or lemons or grapefruit), anise, and rye spiciness come at you like........no, not like a house afire, but like you were in a lane with a tangerine warehouse on one side and a fence covered with honeysuckle flowers on the other. A most pleasant aromatic experience.
Taste:Upfront is a mild sweetness of tangerines and honey followed by the rye spiciness, also in a subtle form.
Finish:A moderate finish, the least that can be expected from a 'rye' with its spice.
Overall:A very decent whiskey that would be a very nice introduction to the difference between 'rye' whiskey and 'bourbon' whiskey. As I have grown older, I think my palate demands stronger tastes, possibly to 'offset' the loss of taste sensitivity. For that aging palate, I think a 95 or 100 proof Old Overholt would be better and the equal of WT 101 Rye.

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 434, Created:20060318084832)
Purchased at:Bourbon's Bistro Bar
Purchased for:5.00
Info on this bottle:Standard Bottle
Nose:Grassy with caramel and cinnamon spice, a little dark fruit such as dates and a hint of leather.
Taste:Sweet fruit and cinnamon with vanilla and tobacco in the back of the mouth.
Finish:Very nice and sweet with a little spice
Overall:Very nice neat or with dessert on the rocks.

Review from gillmang (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 152)
Purchased at:New York State
Purchased for:13.00 (U.S.)
Info on this bottle:Recent buy
Nose:Very spicy, a rich cereal (rye) spiciness of more intensity than any other rye whiskey I know
Taste:Very similar to what Mike described: sweetish, cereal/spicy flavors, some wood and light char background, not overly complex but satisfying
Finish:Lingering with sweet wood and a fruity baked dough note (like a cinammon bun with raisins - not really spearmint-like as some other ryes are).
Overall:Excellent, traditional whiskey. This whiskey has improved in recent years. Three years ago or so I found samples somewhat unbalanced and spirity. Current samples show little ethanol spiritiness and a pleasing, smooth effect that reminds me a bit of Wild Turkey's current rye although Overholt has its own profile. Fine value for $13.00. It would be great to sample this at 100 proof.

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 96)
Purchased at:Liquor Outlet in Shively
Info on this bottle:Standard bottle from liquor store
Nose:Yeast and spice - cookie dough like. A hint of floral notes and oak.
Taste:Rye spices and and rye - nut bread like flavors. No alcohol burn at 80 proof.
Finish:Surprisingly long and sweet with a hint of date fruit and spices. Very nice.
Overall:A pretty good rye whiskey, but not overly complex at this proof. A bonded version would probably be more favorfull but this is still a nice product to have with a meal or relaxing after a job.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews