Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameOld Fitzgerald 1849
Bottled ByHeaven Hill Distilleries, Inc. Bardstown,KY
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content90 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Unknown Duty Free: Unknown Europe: Unknown
Views (since 20080612) 19899
Bottling Info

Review from Anonymous (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1599, Created:20090607132045, Updated:20090608155942)
Purchased at:Liquor Barn Lexington KY
Nose:Thick and Sweet, maybe a slight hint of maple (it seemed to come and go) but a heavey taffee smell. I cannot find the vanilla bourbonv finds althought I checked several times for it over a 5min period or longer.

Finally after about 20 min the vanilla started to come out and I could smell it a good 12 in from the glass once it arrived!!!
Taste:Oh I found the vanilla in the first taste but it is short and fleeting. But the carmel and taffee take over quickly. Not as much oak as I expected from reading reviews but enough to know it is there in the back ground.
Finish:The carmel came out very well and stayed with you for a very enjoyful finish. The alcohol burn is very mild but stays with you much longer than I expected from a 90 proofer.
Overall:The lenght of the alcohol burn although very mild left me surprise as it was totaly unexpected from a 90 proofer. It gives you a good warm feeling. Very mild pour and very enjoyable with lots of taste. This is the first time in years (10yrs or more) I have had any Old Fitzgerald's although I cant say why I havent tried it in years I can say it will not be years before I try it again. I think this is a pour that slipped threw the cracks with me since I nor my friends usually keep it on hand historically but I belive after today that will change and I will keep a bottle on hand in the future.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from MikeK (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 510, Created:20060519171743)
Purchased at:Liquor Barn, Lexington KY
Purchased for:$15.19
Info on this bottle:No age statement, "aged in wood".
Nose:Strong rich nose, but often hard to describe. Sometimes very light, typical of HH products. Root beer, lemon, chocolate, peanuts.
Taste:Thick, rich, creamy flavor. Chocolate, caramel, and soft cinnamon. Burn at the back of mouth.
Finish:Medium finish that lingers faintly for quite a while. Dark chocolate, coffee, nutmeg, dark fruit, molasses, tannin.
Overall:

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Squire (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 494, Created:20060507165326)
Purchased at:Memphis, TN
Purchased for:$19.95
Nose:Very rich pecan praline caramel nose accented with vanilla and oak notes.
Taste:Same flavors as the nose on entry through mid palatte then turning overly oaky and hot at the end.
Finish:A little past medium in length. Hot and astringent.
Overall:I have had better bottles of this brand in the past but that was quite a long time ago. This bottle was a recent purchase and was frankly disappointing.

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 424, Created:20060318080714)
Purchased at:Bourbon's Bistro Bar.
Purchased for:5.00
Info on this bottle:Standard Bottle
Proof Of this Bottle:90
Nose:Caramel and pecans with a little leather and oak.
Taste:Sweet caramel and vanilla with fine leather and oak wood.
Finish:Sweet caramel with dry oak that last a long time.
Overall:Very nice neat especially with something chocolate.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 333, Created:20060117122102, Updated:20060117150618)
Purchased at:Sigman Bottle Shop, Conyers, GA
Purchased for:$13.99
Nose:Corn, vanilla, toffee, oak, brown sugar.........altogether a rich, sweet nose. Very pleasant.
Taste:Corn sweetness that seems just right, not cloying. A viscous and rich mouthfeel that becomes peppery as it spreads across the mouth. Although the pepper is there, the alcohol is held in check and never becomes overbearing.
Finish:The finish is of medium length. I agree with Mike Veach in his review that the rich and viscous sweetness fades into dryness at the back of the mouth.
Overall:I would add this to the list of excellent, inexpensive bourbons. The differences between these less costly bourbons (Old Fitzgerald 1849, Old Grandad BIB, Evan Williams 1783, and many others that have been reviewed by other people) and those that are far more expensive are not, in my opinion, great. Whether the subtle improvements are worth the money goes to an individual's tastes, choice, and possibly, his or her pocketbook.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews