Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameKentucky Vintage 1974
Bottled ByKentucky Bourbon Distillers, Ltd. Bardstown,KY
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content94 Proof
Availability US: Not Available Japan: No Longer Available Duty Free: Not Available Europe: Not Available
Views (since 20080612) 8894
Bottling Info

Review from gillmang (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 331, Created:20060109172657, Updated:20060110051703)
Purchased at:see below
Purchased for:$70 (average)
Info on this bottle:a 50/50 combination of a bottle I bought in England (1976 Kentucky Vintage and 86 proof) and a bottle I bought in St. Martin (47% ABV and like the bottle pictured except 1976 instead of 1974)
Proof Of this Bottle:90
Nose:Smoky wood as from a well-used pipe when just warm
Taste:Very soft mocha/chesnut flavors, light and ethereal yet rich, like the best foie gras or oysters, "fluffy", dances on the tongue, with fruity and dark forest tastes but again very soft, like the best cognac, perfect integration.
Finish:As above but spreads softly on the palate leaving haunting echos, the combination of the two whiskeys (identical except for proof) produces 90 proof but you would never know this has any alcohol so balanced, or gentle, is the vatting. I tasted both bottles separately, and they are good, but the combination is matchless. There is a faint rancio taste in the finish, some light punky wood that adds complexity and interest and is apposite for a 25 year old bourbon.
Overall:A masterpiece.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews