Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameVirginia Gentleman
Bottled ByA. Smith Bowman Fredericksburg,Va
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content90 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Unknown Duty Free: Not Available Europe: Unknown
Mashbill InfoBT low rye
Age6
Views (since 20080612) 38523
Bottling InfoFounded in 1935 by Bowman and his two sons, A. Smith Bowman Distillery is the oldest family-owned bourbon distillery in the United States. The company is located near the site where Elijah Craig, the inventor of bourbon whiskey, was born and raised. At that time, what would become the state of Kentucky was actually part of Virginia. Craig would eventually move west to Kentucky, leaving a legacy of bourbon whiskey in the Old Dominion. Several years later, in 1797, President George Washington would profit from a distilling operation at his Mount Vernon Farm. The Bowmans began producing bourbon at the end of Prohibition and the fabled Virginia Gentleman became the region's drink of choice for decades.

The award-winning VG90 Small Batch Bourbon combines a unique copper still and multi-layered filtration system with aging of at least six years in new oak charred barrels. Produced under the watchful eye of long-time Master Distiller Joe Dangler, VG90 has won many awards, including four stars from Spirit Journal and, previously, silver medals at the San Francisco World Spirits Competition in 2000 and 2001. The result is a bourbon that has Dangler and Adams getting requests for VG90 from around the world.

Won Double Gold and Best American Whiskey at the San Francisco World Spirits Competition, beating some of the biggest names in bourbon, including Knob Creek, Woodford, Wild Turkey, Evan Williams and others.

Review from Chipblood (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1727, Created:20091015221333, Updated:20091015222227)
Purchased at:Spec's Liquor
Purchased for:21.99
Proof Of this Bottle:90
Nose:Pepper, Fruit, Vanilla....Maybe a caramel type scent?
Taste:Sweet with a very light Corn Syrup feel...A little pepper there...? There is a solid connection between this and Buffalo Trace. That being said this blows Buffalo Trace out of the water....It doesn't have the oily feel Buffalo Trace has....
Finish:Good amount of rye taste here but still sweet...So light and nice. It really is begging you swish it around and really feel it. It's actually telling me to go ahead and take another sip...I do...I'm rewarded with a golden mouthful of Rye, Oak, Vanilla...Spices? Is that leather?
Overall:After reading a few reviews especially after Bunghole's strong response to one of my comments, I really wanted to try this bourbon...Thank God I did....Bunghole you were spot on my man...This bourbon has a unique quality. Beautiful golden brownish color, great depth, nice proof, easy sipping, this is truly a gentleman's drink. If you want a bourbon that anyone can enjoy, in any way, at any time, this is the one. An amazing bourbon especially for the price. Bunghole, because of your comments aimed at me about Johnny Walker Blue label, I went out of my way big time to get this bottle. Now I will insist my local store keep this in stock and I won't go without this in my personal bar. Truly a fantastic Bourbon...You will not be disappointed with this stuff...I still can't believe the price!!! Bottom line...Get a bottle NOW!!! Do not pass it up. Do spend $100.00 dollars. Spend a trifle and get a gem in return....

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1639, Created:20090728174407)
Purchased at:
Nose:A light touch with vannila, rye, faint oak, and light spices. Pleasant.
Taste:Soft and smooth, with light sweetness and moderate spicy bite.
Finish:Moderate with spice fading slowly.
Overall:A good pour for when you are in a somewhat passive and mellow mood. Soft, subtle, smooth, but not simple nor without interest.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from Dump Bucket (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1533, Created:20090413202816)
Purchased at:Sent from Funknik
Purchased for:freebie
Nose:I can tell this is a BT distillate. Has all of the characteristics of the low rye mash in the nose. There is some youth here. Not as balances as the Elmer T or the RHFs. Rye, wet wheat, soft spices and some fresh leather. Nice really, just not matured.
Taste:Smooth and subtle. I can see some of the Elmer and the RHFs here, just watered down and softer. Some light spice and rye, hints of leather and maybe some wood??? hard to tell.
Finish:Spice, herb and youth. There is some fresh leather and some earth, but not much.
Overall:VW needs to make a higher proof juice. That cask strength we tasted there was crazy good. I only wish we could have talked him out of that bottle??? and I know stoopsie was thinking about mugging him :D

Review from spun_cookie (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 1015, Created:20080209173946)
Purchased at:ebay
Purchased for:$5
Info on this bottle:Bottle is from 1973 - A. Smith Bowman Distillary
Nose:light oak, little alcohol, not complex.. single dimensional
Taste:Corn.. light corn with a little burn. smooth... not distict.
Finish:lacking. little light burn. little corn... some vanilla... little butterscotch to it... but everything is very light
Overall:Nothing to write home about. I would not want to drink this after anything else.. it would disappear.

Review from Mike (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 215, Created:20050719151916, Updated:20050719163900)
Purchased at:Sigman Spirits, Conyers, GA
Purchased for:18.99
Nose:A nice nose that promises quality in the bottle. A splash of corn, mint, rye, flowers, leather, and honey. The oak is barely there at all.
Taste:Corn sweetness that glides honey smooth across the front of the mouth. The Fox is light and non assertive, yet is very pleasing, soothing, and relaxing.
Finish:Of a piece with the nose and taste.......smooth and sweet without any hint of alcohol burn.
Overall:A very satisfying bourbon that rolls across the mouth and down the throat with understated self confidence. I would recommend it and serve to friends without reservation. What comes to my mind is the 'girl next door', who may not be sophisticated, but doesn't need makeup to enhance her attractiveness and appeal. Solid quality, especially for $19.

Review from jbohan (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 90)
Purchased at:Fredericksburg, Va
Nose:Complex vanilla crossed with corn silk - breathe deeply
Taste:Absolutely demands to be rolled around on the tongue for an extended period to experience the vanilla, the sweetness, the caramel, the char.
Finish:An increditbly long and smooth finish with no burning sensation, breathe deeply through your nose to fully enjoy the finsih
Overall:No surprise that this won the Best American Whiskey award in San Francisco in 2002. Joe Dangler has something to be proud of with this bourbon.

Review from bunghole (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 84)
Purchased at:Virginia ABC Store #338 - Waynesboro, Virginia
Purchased for:$19.95/750 ml
Info on this bottle:Distilled In Kentucky And Redistilled In Virginia
Nose:The color is a very pleasing deep amber.

The nose is lively and complex. Vanilla topnotes shimmer softly. Light Kero corn syrup inflected charred oak with a nuttiness that is sometimes hazelnut and sometimes walnut. Some honey undertones.
Taste:The Fox shows nice viscosity in the glass with good coating action and a soft mouthfeel.

Tha palate is solid with vanilla, and corn syrup with some tea. Complex enough to be satisfying.
Finish:Silken of respectable length. Some mild licorish with the late arrival of lemon and honey. Soft and slow decay. No heat. Very easy drinking.
Overall:I have always enjoyed the Fox. It is young (roughly six years old) ,and lively, and easy drinking. You don't have to study it or know a lot about Bourbon to understand it and enjoy it. I reccomend it highly.

As a side note the A. Smith Bowman Distillery imports it's white dog from Buffalo Trace and is the only 100% triple distilled Bourbon on the market today. Bowman was recently sold to Buffalo Trace/Sazerac.

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 76) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Gift from Linn
Info on this bottle:Virginia small batch bourbon
Nose:Corn and honey. Some floral aromas and a hint of oak.
Taste:Fresh corn with a hint of the corn silk from a fresh roasted ear of corn leading into a sweet vanilla. A very simple bourbon that is light, yet flavorfull. No burn and very refreshing going down the throat.
Finish:Sweet vanilla that last longer than one would think from such a light bourbon.
Overall:This bourbon would appeal to someone who drinks the light spirits such as American or Canadian blends, yet will please those who like a flavorfull bourbon as well. A real jewel worht the trip to Virginia to get a bottle.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews