Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameBaker's "old label"
Bottled ByJames B. Beam Distilling Co. Clermont,KY
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content107 Proof
Availability US: No Longer Available Japan: Unknown Duty Free: Unknown Europe: Unknown
Age7
Views (since 20080612) 16912
Bottling Info<From their website> Named after Baker Beam, grand nephew of the legendary Jim Beam, Baker???s Bourbon is seven-years-old and hand-bottled at 107 proof. Embracing over six generations of distilling experience, Baker's Bourbon utilizes a special strain of jug yeast that has been in his family for over 60 years. This time tested yeast provides Baker's with a silky smooth texture and consistent taste from batch to batch.

Distinctions
Baker???s is a remarkably smooth bourbon. Intensely flavorful, full-bodied and ideally balanced, it is preferred by Cognac aficionados, making for an excellent after dinner drink.

Tasting Notes
Proof: 107
Color: Warm amber, tawny, nut brown
Aroma: Fruit, vanilla, caramel
Taste: Toasted nuts, fruit, vanilla, silky texture
Finish: Sweet, smooth, medium-long
Award: Gold Medal Bourbon
- Wine Enthusiast
Comments: "Baker's is elegant and well-balanced in the palate with a clean finish that follows round smooth flavors of vanilla and caramel." - Wine Spectator
Events for this bottling:

Review from TNbourbon (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 630, Created:20061103190546) View discussion on this review.
Purchased at:Middle Tennessee
Purchased for:$33
Info on this bottle:Batch No. B-85-001
Nose:Rich, dark caramel, underpinned by some cinnamon around the edges. The cinnamon stiffens after a couple of minutes in the glass.
Taste:Sweet, then spice, just like the nose. Very weighty -- makes you want to chew it, like a piece of fudge. A nice, bell-curved flavor structure -- fully sweet upon entry, heightened and amplified by the proof in mid-tongue, settling to a pleasing cinnamon-y warmth at the throat.
Finish:Very balanced finish, not overly long, but present. Sweet without cloying. Doesn't leave any sourness, even after several moments.
Overall:At a recent blind tasting, I was thoroughly stumped by the modern version of Baker's. It's just not the same stuff as this. The current one displays an aldehyde funkiness, especially on the nose, that I couldn't place -- because the only Baker's I've ever bought were two of these older bottles. If I see another 'oldie', I'll probably grab it. I'll pass on the current one, though, at its price.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews