Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameJim Beam Black
Bottled ByJames B. Beam Distilling Co. Clermont,KY
TypeKentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Alcohol content90 Proof
Availability US: No Longer Available Japan: Unknown Duty Free: Unknown Europe: Unknown
Age7
Views (since 20080612) 12294
Bottling Info

Review from spun_cookie (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 859, Created:20071016200230, Updated:20090517193458)
Purchased at:Happy hour at the Hilton
Purchased for:nada
Info on this bottle:750 ml
Proof Of this Bottle:90
Nose:light pepper with a ting of vinilla (very little)
Taste:After 3 of them.... better... at first much like the JD green... bad... after time not a bad sipper on ice
Finish:short... a little vinilla, a little apple...
Overall:Great choice whe it is the only bourbon available and it is free... If I had my choice between this and JD black I would take JD black everytime...

Not bad where I will not drink it again, I would just prefer something else for the $

Do not try something mid to top shelf and then drink this... start with this and enjoy some poker

... Jim Beam makes some far better bourbons

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 817, Created:20070818144309, Updated:20090517193558)
Purchased at:Estate sale
Info on this bottle:Aged 101 months
Nose:Caramel and vanilla with some corn sweetness and pepper spice.
Taste:Very nice moth feel with no alcohol burn but some nice warmth. Sweet candy corn and pepper spice with a hint of oak wood. A little apple fruit and leather makes for a very balanced bourbon.
Finish:Long - sweet at first with ripe apple and caramel, but it get a little drier as the wood tannins kick in making for a nice woody finish.
Overall:A very good bourbon to drink neat, to mix in a cocktail or to cook with.

Tasted in a Glencairn glass.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from gillmang (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 761, Created:20070430132924, Updated:20090517193645)
Purchased at:I believe in California from a small liquor store
Purchased for:?
Info on this bottle:An early 1970's bottle tasted at Gazebo, provided by Doug Philips, this was not Beam's Choice (as pointed out to me by Chuck Cowdery) but the progenitor of today's Beam Black
Nose:Dark caramel
Taste:Thick, sweet, soft, with a mild spicy background
Finish:Lingering, more toffee and molasses
Overall:Superb bottling, quite different from today's and in a different league, in my opinion. There is some connection with today's Beam Black Label, but a distant one. This was classy stuff.

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews