Bourbon Reviews:

Bottling NameMichters US 1 American Whiskey
Bottled ByKentucky Bourbon Distillers, Ltd. Bardstown,KY
TypeWhiskey
Alcohol content83.4 Proof
Availability US: Available Japan: Unknown Duty Free: Not Available Europe: Unknown
Views (since 20080612) 60079
Bottling Info

Review from gillmang (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 606, Created:20061011224025, Updated:20061012100805)
Purchased at:LeNell's
Purchased for:$30
Info on this bottle:This bottle is Michter's U.S. No. 1 but the bourbon version, by which I take it, it is the same mash as the unblended whiskey but aged in new charred wood only
Proof Of this Bottle:91.4
Nose:Complex, with an overlay of something camphor-like (in an appealing way)
Taste:Sweetness comes first, a concentrated quality, then corn and wood smoke flavors with rye underpinning. There is a definite connection to Michter's U.S. No. 1 Unblended American Whiskey but the new charred barrel makes the bourbon version a superior product in my view.
Finish:Lingering, wood decay is probably the most prominent element but mingled with sweetness of a maple syrup-like quality
Overall:Very good product. I wonder if this might have been (wherever aged) a Heaven Hill distillate, it has the big body and complex, camphor-like taste of the rye-recipe bourbon of HH but if anything more refined than in most HH offerings. It reminds me quite a bit of Henry McKenna Single Barrel, but also of VOB; withal it has "Bardstown" written all over it and that's good. To wit this is fine, old-fashioned bourbon. Although no age is stated and there is (or has been) a 10 year old Michter's bourbon on the market, this undated version shows considerable age too, I doubt it is under 8-10 years old and there may be yet older bourbon blended into it. Anyone on the board from Chatham Imports? It would be interesting to know how this was put together. But it is good stuff, worth the brass.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from bourbonv (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 415, Created:20060318073203)
Purchased at:Bourbon's Bistro Bar
Purchased for:5.00
Info on this bottle:Standard bottle
Proof Of this Bottle:83.4
Nose:Caramel apples and vanilla with very sweet burnt sugar.
Taste:Corn and vanilla with a little leather.
Finish:Short and sweet.
Overall:Nice whiskey for an old fashioned.

Registered users can make comments on this review...Already registered? Log in here

Review from abcgroup (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 222, Created:20050721104636, Updated:20050724114852)
Purchased at:Minks (Marietta, GA)
Purchased for:$30
Info on this bottle:Batch 4D4
Nose:I concur with Mark. The nose on this is simply stellar. It smells like caramel and vanilla and very much like it. (I often think many other reviewers have go-go-gadget noses when they smell asparagus or oranges, etc.) Anyway, this stuff really does smell like candied almonds, a truly great nose.
Taste:Hhhhmmm....this is tough, the taste is nice, really smooth. It's somewhat sweet and tastes heavy on the caramel. There is no burn though...none. Not a bourbon for those who enjoy robust and/or dynamic flavors.
Finish:It's just simply smooth...and then the flavor disappears, as if you weren't ever drinking whiskey. I guess this could be perceived as nice to some but I like bourbon for both its taste AND it's finish...this one basically has no real finish per se.
Overall:Overall, I'd say that this is the Jameson of KY Bourbons. It's smooth like an Irish whiskey, and has no burn to make you think it's a bourbon. I recommend this to those who don't drink bourbon regularly, or I'd recommend it to those who enjoy bourbon, but want a light night cap.

Review from Mark (BourbonEnthusiast Review ID 33)
Purchased at:Winfield-Flynn
Purchased for:$28
Info on this bottle:
Nose:The nose is one of the most beautiful things about this whiskey. Immediately upon uncorking the bottle the aromas jump out at you. First I detected butter, almost like buttered popcorn. Upon continued sniffing and a bit more swirls in the glass it really opened up and gave way to almonds, almost those candies sweet almonds with that sugary coating that you can get at street fairs and carnivals. Also noticed were hints of vanilla in the background. Definitely different than any bourbon I have ever tried
Taste:
Finish:
Overall:

Search the bourbon reviews:
Display All Bottlers
Display All Reviews